Dog
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  00:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a dog, he's very friendly he's a golden retriever and he's a certified Pets as Therapy dog so he's not overly active and he's very well behaved.
Will it be ok to get a corn snake?
I would keep it in my bedroom
This sounds like a very stupid question but would the snake bite my dog if it escaped, and do you think my dog would become agitated if he saw the snake even in the cage?

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  00:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've introduced my snakes to my dogs, I'm more worried about the dogs eating the snake...

Basically try to keep the two seperate for a while. Your dog is more likely to be curious about the snake, mine constantly think I have some kind of toy in my hands for them. If the snakes in your bedroom and in a secure viv you'll have very little to worry about.

0.1.0 Anary Corn snake
0.1.0 Cremsicle Corn snake
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 African Pygmy Hedgehog
0.1.0 German Shepard
0.1.0 Welsh Border Colly
0.0.16 Great Crested Newts
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  05:02:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a dog and was worried about the interreaction between her and Kellog when we first got him. He had been in a house with cats that used to scare him, so his immediate reaction to the dog was one of fear. We originally made sure that the dog (Woody) was allowed to smell the viv and get used to it, this was necesssary because the viv is in the lounge and I obviously dont want it to become a 'dog free' zone. Once we could handle Kellog we originally shut Woody out until we were confident in our handling. Obviously by then Kellog had got the smell of the dog from all over the lounge (especially cos the carpet is forever covered in dog hair no matter how often I hoove it!!). We then introduced Woody to Kellog...and got the initial fear reaction from Kellog. We continued to control their interaction until Kellog got used to Woody and stopped reacting with fear. On Woody's part she virtually ignored Kellog, the main problem was jealousy and wanting attention when we were handling Kellog. Now Woody is usually around when we have Kellog out and he is so confident he has slidden off the sofa over her to get to the floor, and I dont think Woody even noticed. The only time I worry is when Woody is lying on the floor and Kellog approaches out of her view near her back legs, because I am worried she will react to any movement there by twitching her legs and injuring him.

All you can do is take it slow and gauge the responses of the dog and the snake, and act on them. I think it really does depend on the temperament of the dog and personality of the snake.

Hope that has been of some help.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  13:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your advice it's deffinatly reassured me, I used to have a guinea pig and my dog got on well with her so I don't think it will be a problem :) xxx
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  16:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dog doesn't even bother with the snake.

just don't put them together..

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  11:49:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was actually my weinmaraner (zac) that found one of my hatchlings and alerted me to its where abouts he is very curious about the snakes, i used to have the viv in the living room but mooved it as the dog just stared at it constantly totally obsessed. the most consern with dogs is if they get over excited and jump up while your holding the snake, just be careful and they will be fine

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  16:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a potty Golden Retriever and she just thinks its a toy and wants to have a sniff whenever they are out. I doubt she would do anything to them. Charley has frightened her by hissing/rattling at her when she got a bit too close with the sniffing and they ended up nose to nose.

Just be careful and they'll be fine

1.0.0 Hypo Corn - Syd
0.1.0 Normal Corn - Charley
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Shorty
0.1.0 Golden Retriver - Jinx
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  22:58:02  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My sister brought her Miniature Pincher back from the States when she lived over there, they are bred to hunt out small animals, so I wouldn't trust her with any of my small animals. I do allow her in my room but never when my animals are out, especially the Gerbils. She wouldn't have any hesitation about scoffing one.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Rik
Hatchling

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  23:10:01  Show Profile  Click to see Rik's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Already introduced my two babies. Both were curious and smelling each other. If I ask Junior (the dog) where is the worm? he sits in front of the table with the viv on. Real cute.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  13:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aww that picture is really cute! the dogs face is classic. I've got my snake now and it's deffinatly not an issue. On the first day, my dog, called charlie just like your snake Dan! On the first day charlie just sat infront of the faun with a really alert expression, it's very out of character he's normally just a soppy lazy old chap. And then he lay next to the faun and was watching the snake inside it. then when the snake turned around to look at charlie, they made eye contact and charlie looked away with a really worried expression. He's such a scardey dog (i was gonna say cat haha) he reminds me of chuckie from the rugrats cartoon. this is not a dog forum it's a corn snake forum so i will be quiet now :P. thanks for your stories and stuff.
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  17:05:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But only then, if the dog sniffed the snake, the snake could bite the dog and dog think it's a rag toy and rip the snake to shreds. It isn't common but it only takes a second to happen.

That's my opinion anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  05:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hillzi is right (cant believe I just said that ).

Dog and snake inter-action is something that should always be very closely monitored and probably avoided because it just isnt necessary and isnt worth the risk.

I am saying this having Woody who totally ignores Kellog when he is out....even steps over him if Kellog is on the floor (see previous post).

Now I have a new snake I will shut Woody out while I have the snakes out. That way I can concentrate (and enjoy) my snakes 100% without worrying about the dog...and then give her extra love when the snakes have gone away and she is let back in!

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000