Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  21:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There 15cm and are lovely I am going to put them in together one day since they hached they have been side by side in difrent tanks but when is the best time to put them together I got them out together and they kissed each other and that was it lol I fed them for the first time tonight they both ate then right away. I left the pinks in a paper towle and put on heat mat for 10 min and put in cool water for 30 min and dryed them off and they ate them right away.

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  21:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did you just get them. you should have stuck to the 7 day rule. no handling or feeding for 7 days. could cause stress. but can't wait for pics.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  21:50:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
congrats on the new arrivals..

cohabiting is a risky thing - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070 this link has a lot of good advice about it, take a read and decide whether you still want to.. I dont think they were kissing - they were working out who eachother was.. if they are used to being in vivs side by side then why change it? there will be no benefit for them being housed together - if anything one of them is likely to get really stressed out by it if not both of them..

make sure you leave them for at least a week - feeding them on the first day of getting them is usually avoided so that they have chance to settle down first..remember its a whole new situation for them with new sounds and scents so its a lot for them to get used to also instead of putting the pinkies directly in the water its better to put them in a sandwhich bag or something first so that they dont get water logged - plus it keeps them smelling of mouse

look forwards to the pics when they have settled in

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  22:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is there feeding day today the breeder I got them from said feed them tonight just once I fed them don't touch them for 2 days that's y I do it today so I know not to pic then up till Monday. And the snakes are not strest coz there in the same vivs they where in at the pet store I know the man who sold then to me and he knows slot so I will go by what he said. I had a bearded dragon and she died because some people was saying is betta to do 1 thing than it is somefin els and that's y she died so don't mean to sound rude but I'm not going to do anything any1 says :-) but I have been picking these two up for almost a month in the pet store a i think they know me now and my sent etc etc. Ps I can't post pics coz i'm on my iPhone and ionly have the net on this but if any1 has face book and wants to see pics just ask and I'll give you my name and you can see pics :-)
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  22:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
snakes can go for a long time without food so them missing out on a feed so that they can settle in wont be a big deal..
you will need to leave them for longer than two days though..they may have been handled by you before but it is still a new environment for them to get used to..

we are only trying to help you out with our advice, its up to you whether you follow it but i hope that some of our advice will be useful to you one day

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  22:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok well I have fed them and picked them up now should I leave them for a week and feed them again Friday of should I leave them for two weeks. And how long should I leave them for once I feed them ?? :-)
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  22:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
leave them for 7-9 days and then they should be ok to handle but only in short amounts as they are still young,
when feeding the best thing to do is leave them for 48hours so that they can digest their meal properly - but if you feed them outside the fauns in a feeding box then it will be ok to use your hands to lift them from it back to their fauns after feeding

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  22:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long can I hold them for coz I could hold them for about 30 min 3 times a day is that ok
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  22:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as they are so young id aim for no more than 30mins a day max - its recommended that 10mins will be enough for them.. i hold my youngest for a max of 20mins - hes 4months but really clingy and i know it does start to stress him out after a while..
as they get more confident and older then you can extend it to longer periods

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  23:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tango and mango

And the snakes are not strest coz there in the same vivs they where in at the pet store I know the man who sold then to me and he knows slot so I will go by what he said.

???
How do you know they're not stressed?

I really recommend ready the sticky Hannah has given you the link for to help you make a well informed decision. I certainly wouldn't dream of putting my snakes in together...

also agree with everything else Hannah has said.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  23:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must agree with everything HannahB has said. I know how hard it is when you are getting conflicting advice, but I would hope from what you have seen from this forum that the advice given is from very experienced snake keepers and breeders who are happy to share their advice and support. It is not just the opinion of one person, but many in agreement.

I know that you were able to handle them in the pet shop, but they are now in totally new surroundings and in a new setup, getting used to the smells and sounds of your house. This will stress them out and they need time to adjust. This is why they should not be handled or fed for the 1st week. Try putting yourself in their position. I would recommend what HannahB has....which is start the hands-off week now. They can go without food for a few extra days without a problem.

When you do handle them you again need to be aware of what it must be like for them...a very scarey situation that both they and you have to get used to. I would actually advise only handling them a couple of times a day, for only 5 minutes to begin with. This will build up their confidence as they are returned safely to their vivs each time and will therefore not see you as a threat. You can then slowly increase the time you have them out as they get more used to being handled.

As far as putting them together, we must be careful not to put human feelings onto our snakes. They are animals, with no sense of love, just the necessary reactions of fear, hunger, thirst, safty etc. They certainly dont kiss! It is more likely they were examining their surroundings. In the wild these snakes live alone, only coming together to mate. They do not choose to live together and should not be made to as this will stress them out and can end up in the snakes being ill, mating too early and even eating each other. Please read the link HannahB suggested carefully. Some owners do co-habit, but these are experienced owners who only put adult snakes of the same sex together.

We are only trying to help, which is what this forum is for...and we do it purely because of our love of snakes.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

161 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  18:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I no you trust trust the guy who sold them to you, but if you serously want to keep your corns in good health I would strongly advise you to seperate them ASAP. We're not having a pop at you, your new to snakes so we can only advise you on what we have learnt.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new corns.

Brads

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  19:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snakes dont usually show tension, untill its too late and they start fighting.

twitching when theyr'e close is a sign, but if its at this stage, theyr'e already too stressed.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  22:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There not together I was just asking when I can put them together and now I know not to when there fully grown what size viv do they need is a 3 foot ok or will a 2 by 2 be ok ????
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  22:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it depends. the rule of thumb really is the size of the viv lenght and depth, if it's a 3ft by 2ft then a 5ft snake could go in that. 2ftx2ft could fit a 4ft snake in. get the idea. but if you are planning to house your snakes together. wich i do not recamend even wen they are adults, but if you do then you would probably need a 4ft x 2ft for the 2 of them with plenty of hides for each of them. so no a 2x2 would not be big enough for the tow of them. if you do house them seperatly try to get the biggest you can fit and afford. if you can afford and fit 2 4ftx2ft viv then do so and house them seperatly.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  22:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you have decided not to cohabit TandM, very good choice.

The general rule of thumb is- 1x long side and 1x short side of the viv should be = length of the snake.

So a 3x2 viv is big enough for a 5 foot snake. Many people keep their snakes in rubs or smaller vivs though as adults.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  05:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for taking on the advice given and deciding not to co-habit Tango and Mango...it is so reassuring when people who come onto the forum for help and support actually follow what is suggested because it is only said through a love of corn snakes and wanting the best for your snakes.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  14:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hay thanks all, I am not picking them up I picked up tango today coz he was looking abit moody slivering around the tank quite fast so got him out for 5-10 min and he was - she was ok. I saw them drink for the first time it's cool lol. There in a 1foot by 1/2 foot tank what size should they be at when I move them, coz I have a 4 foot viv and I'm slowly spliting it into 2, 2foot by 2foot tank???? ;-) ps has any1 got facebook ???? ;-)xx
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  14:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In seperate vivs or in together atm? Its not clear from your post.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  15:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seprately sorry :-)
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  15:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool cool.

General rule of thumb is that the snake should be no longer than 1 long and 1 short side of the viv put together, so 2 foot by 2 foot will be fine for a 4 foot snake. What they are in atm will be fine until they are 1 1/2 feet, etc etc.

Bear in mind that snakes get stressed in big spaces, so shouldnt be placed in big vivs unless they are really well packed out with hides, decor etc.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000