New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  19:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am sitting in hotel in Devon at the mo, and my eldest daughter just rang to say the heat bulb on Tango's viv has gone off.... She cannot get him out on her own as she is scared of him other than when I am with her. I have no spare heatmat, she is aggrophobic so will not leave the house. I have told her to put a lamp from off the bookshelf next to the glass doors of the viv, and turn the heating up but is there anything else I can be doing. The most she will usually do is open the doors and refill water whilst we are away. She's fine with feeding leo's, frogs, toads and beardie, but is a bit unsure of the snakes.

I could kick myself for not getting another spare heatmat when I used my spare for my new snow last month, but such is life. My neighbours and friends who help support my daughter when I am not there are also not keen on snakes, so unsure, even if I got them to go out and buy a heatmat, any of them would be able to put it in safely (don't want to leave the wire feeding out of front of door as I know how good snakes are at getting through the tiniest gap!!

Oh blast and hell.... why do these things have to happen whilst we are on holiday!!

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  19:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just keep the room 20*C or over until you get home. I wouldnt use the normal bulb unless she is comfortable checking that the viv isnt going to over heat.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  19:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed with Matty.

As long as she keeps heat up in the room, it'll be fine. in the wild, they aren't going to have solid temps around 30*.

How long are you going to be away from?
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  20:27:41  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I was gonna suggest the same thing as Matty and Hillzi, except for one thing.

Unless the snake has eaten in the past day or 2, then it should be fine dropping down to room temps for a week or so, just remember to gently bring the temps back up again, and don't feed while the snake has no heat source.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  01:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my power was cut of for nearly 24hrs i put a hot water bottle in the viv wrapped in a towel and placed it at the warm end i was luck that the hot water was ther before the eleci box blue up. the i got my parents to take the snake for the day.

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  03:49:32  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting one actually.
You see I would never have to worry about power cuts, if we have a power outage that lasts more than 6 hours our electricity supplier has to provide us a generator and connect it up by the 7th hour.

Plus I can run my stuff off a couple old car batteries, although the heatlamps do drink the power quickly.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  18:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL@Kehhlyr.... trust you... I have a few leisure batteries as spares too, but I would not trust her to try to rig them up!! she would just not have a clue!

Thanks for your replies everyone... I've told her to leave the heating on at 25 degs until I get home on Friday - bless her not so little socks!

She rang last night to ask how to unblock to loo, so god only knows what other disasters she will store up for me for when I get home!
Cheers guys!... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000