Hello
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  16:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I'm from the North East corner of Scotland and am hoping to get my first Corn soon. I have been doing a lot research on them. I am new to snake keeping and very interested in the subject of breeding as well as keeping snakes.

I love the Corn snakes various colour patterns. However I can't make my mind up on which colour to go for! Having said that I can tell that once my rats have all passed on my snake collection will increase!

I am actually more interested in Boas but not as a first time snake due to their size. My experience of handling snakes is very limited (i.e. our school's Garter snake about 12yrs ago!) so I would rather get a good beginner snake to get the hang of caring for and handling it before tackling a Boa! My main favourites are BRBs and Boa Constrictors. I know they can be nippy as youngsters however I'm not afraid of getting bitten. I am used to it as some of my pets are rescue / rehab projects of mine.

Recently I have also taken a liking to Hoggies, they have very cute faces! But would like to start this hobby with an easier snake!

I also have a keen interest in animal behaviour so I would love to study the behaviour of snakes and other scaley creatures of which I have limted knowledge. Geckos are another animal I am curious about but am sticking with a Corn to start with as I have no room for any more than that yet. My elderly rats and hamsters are starting to pass on, and I have no intention of getting more. I love them but they don't live long enough.

Linda

2.1.0 Border Collies
3.2.0 Ferrets
9.0.0 Rats
0.3.0 Roborovski Hamsters
1.0.0 Albino Syrian Hamster

Hoping to get my first Corn soon. :D

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  17:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!
Im new to the forum as well and Im also a newbie to Snakes!
Your in the best place- these guys are really friendly- and also incredibly knowledgeable!
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  17:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
this is the best place to read about corns http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm , has all the need to know things on it but if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask - we dont bite

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  19:29:46  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum.

As already stated, just ask any other questions, and we'll do our best to answer.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  19:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi there.
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  21:55:13  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey L, welcome to the forum.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  22:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  00:10:31  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  02:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum LRansom! You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. It is fantastic to know how interested you are in snakes and animal behaviour. This is definitely the best place to come to find out anything you want to know about corns. Also checkout the sister sites advertised. Not sure how much snake care you already know but I would advise the following:

1. Very early but vital advice. When you get a snake you need to leave it for a week to get over the stress of moving to your house and let it settle into its new surroundings by leaving it without handling or feeding for a week. Only put your hand in daily to change water and straighten substrate, that way it gets used to your smell.

2. Make sure you read the care sheet HannahB has recommended(http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm), lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

3. No question asked on this forum is a silly question.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! Both Kehhlyr and HannahB are right, with the experience on here you should get an answer to anything you want to know, and if we cant answer then we can hopefully guide you to someone/somewhere that can.

4. When you get your snake you need to get as much info as possible on it....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos!

I am sorry if I have repeated stuff you have already learnt, but it is better told twice than not at all. A warning - keeping snakes is very addictive....most of us start out with one and the lucky ones move on from there while those of us who are not so lucky try to contain our jealousy!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  19:27:22  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  20:33:43  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  01:19:49  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000