Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  04:54:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think my absolute favorite SA snake is the Rinkhals...did you see any? We did and the glass inside the viv was totally spattered with venom! Wish I could post a pic, but wont let me so you will have to put up with another lesson on an SA snake! (sorry, its the African part of me coming out!!)

The Rinkhals

The Rinkhals look fairly similar to the Cobras but has keeled scales and only has a single species in the Genus.

The colour may vary but is usually a spotted black (Adults of N Cape) to brown colour (Gauteng area) with yellow to white cross bars with 2- 3 large bands on the ventral side of the neck. In the adults the bars usually fade away to a uniform black colour as in the photos above. The average length is 1 metre with a record length of 1.5 metres.The Rinkhals is ovoviviparous meaning that they give birth to 15 up to 60 live young during the late summer. The occur under the 2 500 metres and usually in the grassy areas of the Southern Cape, Transkei, Orange Free State, Lesotho, Natal and western Swaziland and south east Transvaal but not in the Low Veld and should not be confused with the Mozambique Spitting Cobra.

The venom is neurotoxic but not as toxic as Cobras and is more diluted when spitted. The hole in the fangs are not at the tip of the teeth as with the Cobras but has a canal that ends in an elbow that projects the poison up and forward. Venom in the eyes can be very painful and cause blurred vision and the eyes should be washed with water or milk

Rinkhals are definitely a nocturnal species, but may occasionally be observed basking during the day.

A curious fact about this species is the ability to feign death. This snake, if presented with no possibility to flee, and faced with a "predator" unfazed by it's spitting- will roll over on it's back melodramatically, open it's mouth and let the tongue hang out, all this to discourage whoever may be hovering over it. Soon after the assumed predator has walked away, the animal will roll over on it's belly and slide carelessly away..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Behaviour
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VenomThe venom of this species is less viscous (i.e. thinner) than that of other African elapids, naturally, as thinner fluid is naturally easier to spit. However, the venom of Hemachatus is produced in copious amounts- yields average 80-120 mg. (LD50 1.1-1.6 mg/kg) with an estimated lethal dose for humans of 50-60 mg.

Actual bites from Hemachatus are fairly rare, and deaths in modern times are so far unheard of. Local symptoms of swelling / bruising is reported in about 25% of cases. General symptoms of drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, violent abdominal pain / cramps and vertigo often occur, as does a mild pyrexial reaction. Neurotoxic symptoms are however rare and have only included diplopia and dyspnoea. Ophthalmia has been reported, but has not caused as severe complications as in some of the spitters in the genus Naja (especially N. nigricollis & N. mossambica).

xxx

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  14:32:51  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nice pics,love the green mamba too

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  14:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it Kellog!
Keep 'em comming!
Infact- post a list of SA snakes- And I'll do my best to get pics of the when I go in Feb!
:)
xx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  16:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn thought he was a gaboon!!

them and puffers are quite similar though!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  17:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hes a Good Looking chap though!
:)
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic