Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Corn regurge 1 st time ever, help.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ukglyn
Snake Mite

32 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  23:40:33  Show Profile  Visit ukglyn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi I fed my corn, (aprox 2 years old) a jumbo mouse on Tuesday as I normaly do ever 10 days. He has been fine & never had a feeding problem ever before.
Tonight I went into his room & smelt a really bad smell, thinking he has poo'd I looked in to see he had regurged the mouse from tuesday?
What do you think could of caused this & is it really anything to worry about?
I am now thinking leave him a week at least then feed a smaller prey item, is this the best option?
Thanks
Glyn

www.glyntjonesphotography.co.uk

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  00:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am no expert ukglyn...and would advise you to wait for GingerPony to help you out, but to do so she will need more information. To me it seems like a long time after the feed to regurge...was it definitely the mouse? Could you describe better what you could see? The other information that would be helpful is:

How long has your snake been on jumbos?
Is it fed inside or outside the viv?
Have you handled it since you fed it?
What are the temps within the viv?
What is your general set up?

I think you probably need to leave for 10 days before you feed again. Your snake needs time to recover from the regurge and its stomach gut flora to regrow and rebalance.

I am sure you will get the answers you need, especially if you provide more information. I do hope your snake is ok.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

ukglyn
Snake Mite

32 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  00:30:45  Show Profile  Visit ukglyn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi thank you for your reply.
Right i will answer the questions in order.
Axl has been on jumbos every 10 days from 16th September.
It is alwats fed inside the viv, I cover the beech chips with newspaper to stop ingestion of substrate.
The first time I have handled it from tuesdays feed was today, when he seemed fine.
The vis is about 24-25 c in the hot end, about 21-22 cool end.
set up is a 36x18x18 wooden viv with g=heatlamp on thermostat for heating.

It was def the mouse i saw, it looke like he had poo'd in the same place as well, there was a normal poo as I expected, I lying with it was the mouse, the head end had sort of rotted away, leaving the back end, def the mouse as the fur was still visable, smely real bad to.

I weighed the snake on the 26th November while disenfecting his viv & he weighed 539 grams & is approx 4-4.5 ft long.
Thanks again.
Glyn

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  06:48:34  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
common causes of regurge are incorrect set-up, particularly temps, stress and handling too soon after a feed.
we can rule out the last one.......... and probably the middle one..........hot end temps are a bit low for adequate digestion. ideally you want to crank the stat up to about 28-30*C for him.

following a regurge leave him 10 days before feeding again, with no stress and no handling, to allow his digestive system to return to normal so he is able to digest the next meal you offer. ideally offer something a little smaller than a jumbo mouse too.
if you do a search on here for 'regurge' or 'regurgitation' make sure you tick the box that says to look through archived posts and you'll find lots of infortmation.............

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

ukglyn
Snake Mite

32 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  12:02:43  Show Profile  Visit ukglyn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, I just pumped the stat up a bit, although the hot end was actually 28c going to get it up to 30c now.
Thanks again

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  12:54:51  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
how are you measuring the temps? what type of thermometer are you using and where is it/the probe situated to get a reading?

Go to Top of Page

ukglyn
Snake Mite

32 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  17:34:57  Show Profile  Visit ukglyn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi I have exo terra digital thermometers for measuring, the probes are set about 1-1.5 inches above the substrate.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  17:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe put the probes actually on the substrate as that is where the snake will be so you get a more accurate reading

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  20:00:30  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that's exactly what i'd do Hannah, and i rubber-band the stat probe and the thermometer probe together so they're both reading the same spot.
digi is good though, those dial therms are a waste of money............and plastic!

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  23:18:28  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Agree with GP and Hannah ^^

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000