New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  19:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the best way to defrost pinkies or mice?

I left mine out to defrost for about 8 hours in the kitchen (its pretty cool in there). It was still cold to the touch when i was ready to feed so i took it into the lounge for 10 mins to get to room temp.

Are you best defrosting in warm water? Or with Hairdryer?

What does everyone else do?

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  19:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stuck the pinkie in a sandwich bag and left it in warm/hot water untill it was defrosted- probably about 20 mins
But saying that- It was my first feed!
haha!
xx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  19:54:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Luke warm water in a sarnie bag - NEVER defrost in bare water, the gases in Stuarts gut can heat up, expand and when snakey chomps down, they pop. Mouse chocolate fountain anyone? Think I'll pass.

Mine go in my consveratory, warm in there, and then i put them on the radiator for about 5 mins prior to feeding.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

117 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  20:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also do mine in a bag in a bowl of warm water.

In fact just done it. Both now happily fed and they are now both having a drink.

1.0.0 Hypo Corn - Syd
0.1.0 Normal Corn - Charley
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Shorty
0.1.0 Golden Retriver - Jinx

Edited by - n/a on 28/11/2009 20:20:17
Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  20:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto with Yorkshire Dan

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  20:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long in warm water? About 20 mins?

What about if you just leave to defrost at room temp? Is there anything wrong with it being out for 6-8hrs before feeding? Could bacteria build up?

Thanks

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  21:15:41  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mine just get left out for a few hours to defrost naturally

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  21:35:08  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Luke warm water in a sarnie bag - NEVER defrost in bare water, the gases in Stuarts gut can heat up, expand and when snakey chomps down, they pop. Mouse chocolate fountain anyone? Think I'll pass.

Mine go in my consveratory, warm in there, and then i put them on the radiator for about 5 mins prior to feeding.

Thats only in hot water. I always just fill a tub up with warm water and drop the mice/rats straight in

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  22:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here: onto a plate, cover with a strainer to protect. Just before feed, into a sandwich bag and a glass of warm water. Out of bag, check temp to ensure it's not too warm, and soon after it's in the snake .

One time I was in a hurry and it was only a pinkie I was defrosting so it went freezer to bag/water, and a few moments were enough to defrost it thoroughly -- it was warm and soft througout and snakie took care of it in next to no time.

Btw, the mouse will never get warmer than room temp unless you help it, so a bit of radiator action or hair drier or into bag and warm water is what's needed to bring it up to "live" temp, which is what the snake wants to sense.

Go to Top of Page

Rik
Hatchling

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2009 :  01:17:08  Show Profile  Click to see Rik's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Khan is only on pinkies yet so may not always apply but, i get a pinkie on a piece of kitchen roll and leave it on the edge of his still over sized heat mat. 30 mins and pinkie is warm and yummy (so Khan told me!)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2009 :  01:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great advice guys, am attempting the first feed this Tuesday, will let you know how I get on.

0.1.0 Anary Corn snake
0.1.0 Cremsicle Corn snake
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 African Pygmy Hedgehog
0.1.0 German Shepard
0.1.0 Welsh Border Colly
0.0.16 Great Crested Newts
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2009 :  04:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have always defrosted at room temp for a few hours (till soft) then placed in a tub on the heat mat in the viv though did find that casper was becoming quite nosey, tough now that the heating is on alot i put them in a tub on top of the radiator for 20-30 mins making sure they are soft(thats mice pinkies dont need as long) i have had no probs this way.

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2009 :  06:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I leave mine out in the open for a couple of hours to defrost naturally, i tend to stand them in the microwave to keep any bugs and nosey cats away from them though.

If i have forgotten to get the mice out or just need to defrost an extra one in a hurry i do what has already been said, i fill a cup with warm (but not boiling) water and just drop the mouse directly into it. As long as the water is not too hot you will have no issues with gas build ups or the skin weakening. If the water IS too hot then the skin of the mouse will weaken and then you are likely to have mouse guts all over the place... YUM!
Go to Top of Page

solid
Hatchling

United Kingdom
428 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2009 :  15:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i do pinkies in warm water and leave bigger sizes out for a couple of of hours, then warm them under a close lamp, it gets them a bit smelly as well which my snakes seem to love

3.1.1 corns - solid,liquid,ocelot,fox + raiden / 0.0.1 missing MBK - raven
PS3id: adam83
Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2009 :  19:12:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just put spaghetti in her feed box (it's quite big) then take the heat mat off the stat so it heats up really warm and put the mouse in a bag on there - it works really well and gets nice and warm to the touch, not boiling or anything.

Also spaghetti gets a little excited that it's dinnertime, which I think is quite natural for her and prepares her for 'hunting down' that delicious pinky!

zan x
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2009 :  20:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just leave mine to defrost for hours. i got mine out today at 4.00 and it is sat on window ledge still now. i am gunna go up at the next break of x-factor and feed him after i have ask mum if i can get a new snake, corn of course. fingers crossed.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000