thermometers/temperatures
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  17:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just set my new digital thermometers up, ive placed one in the hot end under the hide and 1 in the cold end under a hide, the thermometer in the hot end is reading 35.9oc and the cold end is reading 16.5oc is this right or wrong? x

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  17:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Far too hot and far too cold!!

Have you got a stat set up? if so, you need to do some serious fiddling to get it right. Cold end should be 22-24 and hot end 27-29 ish.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  17:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Wrong and dangerous.

At 35.9 the warm end temp is far to high! Do you have a thermostat? If not, get one asap and keep your heat matt off until then (assuming you haven't fed the snake in the last couple of days).

16.5 is too cool for the cool end.

All the info you need is here:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

including the correct range of temps.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  17:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you both for replying, i dont have a snake yet as am getting everything set up correctly before i do, i have a mat stat which i have turned down but how do i get the cold end up higher
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  18:04:11  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
don't worry too much about the cool end, its the warm end that needs the temperature tweaking first. Corns are a temperate species so that sort of temperature won't do much harm for short spells and will pick the best spot in the viv - to make double sure, make sure you have lots of hiding places so he won't just have the choice of 'hot' and 'cold'.

If the temperature is likely to stay this low, then your best bet would be to rig up another heat mat on a lwer setting. You can use either another stat for this, or alternatively twin channel stats are available to control two heaters independantly.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  18:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would the fact that its a glass vivarium and not a wooden viv affect this much?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  19:34:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
totally agree with eeji on this, the cool end isn't really an issue it the warm end you need to sort really

and yes a glass viv will keep less heat in when its cold and if its in any direct sunlight in the summer it will have a greenhouse effect and get too hot. try covering 3 sides of the faun with corrugated cardboard to help your snake feel more secure and insulate from extreme temps

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  05:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definitely agree with the fact that this needs to be sorted out and the experts have spoken, but I will add that I am so glad you are getting everything set up before you get your snake...it means that you can get it right and your snake will come to a safe and welcoming home. Well done.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000