Urgent!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  15:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, me again. This is a matter of urgency, and all the help given would be so appreciated it's unbelievable. This morning, one of my corn snakes escaped, there have been people walking around my house all day and he is a bright colour, so if he had left my bedroom I think someone would have seen him, so I'm convinced he's still in there. I've put water on the floor for him, shut the door and I'm hoping for the best, I don't see the point in putting a mouse out for him, because even if he ate it, I still wouldn't necessarily find him, I'd just know he was still in there. I've done all I can think of and if anybody else on here has any suggestions, please put them on here. He was the first corn snake my mum ever bought, and she's very upset and worried. Please help!

**moved to General by GP**

Edited by - gingerpony on 27/11/2009 15:30:29

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  15:31:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
have you done a search for 'lost snake' to find all the other threads there are on this topic? if you tick for the search to look through archived posts you'll find even more...

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  17:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Make bottle traps. To see how, check here:

http://www.thekingsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=263

Good luck in finding him soon, please let us know.

Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  17:49:47  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
putting a mouse out is a good idea becasue after he has finished the mouse, all you have to do is look in the warm dark places in your room. Also you may aswell leave him alittle snack. :) sorry to hear that but good luck

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  05:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some tips on hopefully finding your snake -

When you look for it start from the very top. Ceiling. Start slowly come down from there to top of lampshades if any, down electric wires, anything that dangles from the ceiling. Then you choose the least cluttered wall and start to go down it methodically. If there are shelves, everything comes off them and only gets put back once it's been inspected, books opened, etc. If there are cupboards, the drawers come out completely, and if possibly, the cupboard or closet gets pulled away from the wall so the area behind it can be searched too. The frame of mind is to inspect every surface no matter how unlikely. The floor and any object on it get done last, and any carpets would get their underside inspected too. If still no go, I'd go under the floorboards.For that awkward place with the pipes I'd get a good torch and a mirror, so you can inspect the hidden areas. Apart from "every surface" I'd also think as if I'm looking for something much smaller e.g. think you're looking for a contact lense. Check near any heat sources - near radiators, pipes, in the oven, the washer, behind the fridge, check all your washing before they go in the washing machine, computer leads, behind tv, sterio, boiler...they will search out heat.

Try putting the viv on the floor near a dish of water, it may decide to come home by herself. You must put a number of water dishes down cos a snake can go for a long time without food but not long without water.

You could try turning down the heat in the rest of the house and turning it up in the room you hope the snake is in. Also you could try putting the heatmat in a corner with a towel over it and pillows round it, to give the snake somewhere warm and safe to hide.

I have heard of owners sitting up all night in case the missing snake puts in an appearance, which may be an idea for you to try. Try putting bits of foil or crumpled wrapping paper along skirting boards cos snake will move along edge of room and hopefully you will then hear it move.

When was it last fed? As Hawkeye has said it is worthwhile putting a bottle trap out.

Put flour across doorways so you can see slither marks which will show the snake is around and whether it has gone into or out of a room.

Hope some of this helps (and much thanks to other forum members for their tips 'borrowed').

The main thing is not to give up hope....snakes have gone missing for days, weeks, even months and still turned up healthy and happy.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 28/11/2009 05:55:23
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  10:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do wat kellog says. hope you find her!

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  10:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too, have you made some bottle traps?

Also put down some boxes like empty cereal boxes in warm place's, if you put a mousey down he'll eat it and look for a warm secure place to digest.

Best of luck.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  11:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all the best things have already been said already but hope you find him soon

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  14:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Good advice Kellog, I recognised the first paragraph

That gave me an idea: same as in the DIY section that holds all the "how to" it could be a good idea to have a section for "what do I do if." Assuming you have collected good relevant advice for other "what do I do if" topics, would you be able to post all of them? Each one under it's own heading, and the mods can then stick them, or perhaps a new section can be created to hold all of them, so that we can refer future queries straight to those posts/threads which would hold as complete info as possible, also so that it's easy access to all of us if ever we come across a problem that is covered by one of these posts.

Possible?

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2009 :  03:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

Good advice Kellog, I recognised the first paragraph

I did thank other forum members for their tips 'borrowed'! Just good to put it all in one place. Hope you didnt mind Hawkeye.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2009 :  04:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she will turn up propably where you least expect it, i lost both of mine as hatchlings n found them then lost one of them she is about 3ft found her 2 weeks later they can curl up so small just watch what you put in the rubbish i.e.give newspapers etc a good shake first. you could also try placing a covered hot water bottle on the floor of your room as snakes sence heat just make sure it is covered tightly. good luck

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  04:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote