Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  20:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, just tried spaghetti on her first fuzzy, which was a little on the large size - but looked managable.

She slowly ate 3/4ths and then regurgitated it back up - it was obviously too big.

She was very hungry before, so should I wait 7 days and try pinkies again, or try again tomoz with a pinkie?

Will she be OK? I'm worried I might have damaged her mouth or something.

zan x.

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  20:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its not what I would call a proper regurge, so I would just leave her 3 or 4 days.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  21:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would leave her 4 days at least, to let her build up her digestive enzymes. she probably hacked it back up again as it was perhaps too big for her.

What was she on before? Perhaps try 2 pinks. If you were before, try 2 pinks for about a month more.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  21:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

I would leave her 4 days at least, to let her build up her digestive enzymes.

The snake hasnt lost any, it didnt go into the stomache. If it had, I would say leave it 10 days.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  21:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah right. get ya.

But, don't they start digesting immediately when the preys in their mouth, in case its too big to fit down the snakes throat anyway?
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  21:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

But, don't they start digesting immediately when the preys in their mouth, in case its too big to fit down the snakes throat anyway?

Nope.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  21:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooooh okay then thanks for clearing that up.

Still I'd leave her 4 days.

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  22:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it was nearly down but her head seemed to get stuck on the hip bones of the mouse - rather than not fitting down her throat, most of the mouse was already well on its way! Poor spaghetti, I feel so guilty!

zan x
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  04:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You mustnt feel guilty zandefloss...you did what you thought was the right next move for Spaghetti, which was trying her with a fuzzy. We only learn by trying sometimes. So please, no more guilt!

Leave her the 4 days and drop her back down to 2 pinkies...as already suggested by those who know better than me!!

Just give her time, she will be ready for a fuzzy in her own time.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2009 :  20:20:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i agree this doesn't count as a proper regurge but leaving her a few days before trying her gain will give her time to forget her bad experience a little.........on the other hand she should be hungry when you next feed her so she should wolf a pinky down lol

don't worry that it's anything you've done wrong zandefloss, i'd keep her on 1 pinky per meal till she gets back into it, then try multiple small pinkies after several successful feeds

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  07:25:24  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As above, you've not at fault. Some snake's just get a bit spooked when you increase the prey size. Even if she had swallowed it, it wouldn't have done her any harm. Also as above, try multiple pinkies for a while until she has grown a bit more and she feels more confident about the larger mouse.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2009 :  08:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to try her on double pinkies for another few feeds and then try a small fuzzy, a non-fuzzy fuzzy! Thankyou everyone for your advice, she certainly seemed put out when I took her out the feed box with no replacement meal! I'm sure she'll be excited to see her pinkies on Sunday!

zan x
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  10:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope the feed goes well tomorrow zandefloss...let us know how Spaghetti goes.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2009 :  19:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will do :)
Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  16:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey there everyone, have just tried spaghetti on 2 pinkies, but no intrest so far - which is very unusual. She picked up a pinky, started to eat it and then let go. I picked the pinkies back up and brained them, suddenly there was intrest again! she grabbed a pinky, started eating and then spat it out as soon as she got the head in.

I've now left her in her feeding box with a cover over it to keep in dark, I'll look in about half an hour to see if there's any progress.

I'm so worried!

zan x
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  21:18:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it's ok hun don't panic, if you look at it in human terms............

you go out for a meal which is great, but you come down with severe food poisoning the next day, projectile vomiting and the rest......
how keen would you be to go back to that same place and eat that same meal again?

it'll just take a little time but make sure you try to keep her as stress-free as possible, no handling till she takes a feed and i'd leave her undisturbed for at least an hour or two tonight with the pinky if it's not gone already (bearing in mind you posted at 4pm lol)

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  21:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the pinkies are still sitting there in her viv. poor spaghetti :(

zan x
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  21:53:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
leave one in overnight, cover the faun/viv up with a towel or similar and have a look in the morning........and try not to worry

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2009 :  21:56:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just checked, it's only been 5 days since the fuzzy incident, you got loads of time to play with before you need to stress

if she doesn't take anything overnight, i'd leave her another 5 days before trying again so as not to stress her unduly.
having been pretty ill recently myself with projectile vomiting (see my post on page 1 of the thread) i know how hard it is mentally to get eating again!!

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  18:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heya everyone - just had a check, 24hrs of pinkies sitting in the hide have done nothing to whet her appetite, she's very crabby though, bless her! I dont think she liked sharing her tank with some little pinkies!

One more question though (and I'm trying not to worry, but it's not working lol) when I opened her faun to remove the pinkies they STUNK, I mean proper rotting meat, making you gag stunk - is this normal after 24hrs? I was not expecting them to go off so quickly!

thankyou for all your help so far everyone :) It's really helping - also is it normal for a snake to be headbutting the water? does she want her water changing or something? I changed it this morning, but perhaps she's fussy!

zan x
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  18:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
were they on the hot side? heat makes decomposition occur much faster lol. poor you!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000