New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  21:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay! After months of trying I've finally convinced the powers that be that new vivs are an essential spend and picked them up today! The vivs are at work, and after the hassle I've had I need them to be right. Anyone see anything wrong with this:

Adult corns (each):
4ft viv, heat mat, lino, aquarium sealant, mat stat (half size of viv), 3 blagged and made hides plus cork bark, beech chippings, water bowl big enough to get in, sycamore/apple branches stripped, heat treated and disinfected, digital thermometers, one with probe above heat mat (aiming for 29 degrees)one on cool end (unfortunately as the room has maintained heat this will probably be about 23/24 degrees.

Adult royals (each)
3ft viv, ir heat lamp 1 3rd of the way in, dimmer stat with prob under lamp, digital thermometers, one next to stat probe, one near cool side hide aiming for 27 cool 32 hot, hides and wood as above, orchid bark for younger python, astro turf for older (will only eat over night when we're not there and don't want risk of swallowing substrate). Not sure about what we are going to use as water bowls, currently use big plastic trays but they look hideous but can't find anything more natural (any ideas?)bulb guard

Plan is to get vivs set up for a week, monitor temps, humidity etc, make sure they feed before moving in.

Thanks, sorry this is so long, but getting things this far feels like a real achievement.

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  21:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds great to me
but better to wait for "them that know" ha!

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix

Edited by - n/a on 24/11/2009 21:12:46
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  21:14:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Setting up new vivs is always fun. The corn's vivs sound fine. Im not sure that I would use astroturf for the royal unless it was good quality soft stuff. I just use dog bowls for waterbowls.

Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  21:16:31  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sounds goooood :) well planned

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  22:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
matty, just concerned with how I'm going to feed on any other substrate? VERY old snake, originally she was a live feeder so any dead feed is a triumph, don't think at her age (40+) I'll get her to change now? I know it's not ideal but figured it was a compromise? Any suggestions welcome...

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  22:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put down a dish or newspaper and feed off of that.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  16:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would probably use kitchen roll if you dont want to use loose substrate. The only reason I wouldnt use astro turf would be if it wasn't abrasive. That your call though as I havent seen what your using.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000