Preparing for First Feed...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  12:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok- So I bought Slinx (yes- "She" now has a nick name!) on Saturday (21st November), so will be looking to give her her first feed this Saturday (28 November). Her last feed was Thursday 19th November

I know that there are a lot of questions- but Im still waiting for ALL of the books Ive ordered to arrive (really thought I would have had them by now!!!)

I also want to organised and ready so that I am nice and quiet and calm come Saturday.

I have a RUB- complete with kitchen towel at the bottom- Feeding in the RUB so that she doesnt eat the orchid bark (dont like that either- changing it next week, after feeding- 48hrs or so that she digests properly)

My questions are:

1) How long does it take for the pinkie to defrost? Ive got in my head that obviously a chicken you would defrost all night... but the pinkie is a lot smaller then a chicken! (unless I have a giant pinkie- or a teeny tiny chicken..)

2A) How do people defrost their pinkies- just curious- I know that you can defrost them on a plate... but leaving it for an amount of time it could possibly create bad bacteria- 2B)so how long in warm water? Ive also read that if you poor hot water straight onto the pinkie that its inners can explode..?

3A) How long should I leave her with the pinkie if she doesn't chow down on it straight away? 3B) Should I put her in a quiet/dark corner for her to eat and watch from afar (several feet) or should I pop her on the side and keep eyes on?

4) If she is a Non-eater- how long should I leave feeding before trying again? And the next time I try should I pierce the skull in hope that she will smell that it is tasty?

5) Now, I know that you shouldn't handle Snakey for 48 hrs after feeding- so to transfer her back into her viv from her RUB...? Just gently "tip" out- (not launch from the other side of the room or anything)

Slink-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell has been EXTREMELY active since Ive had her all of 3 full days- and at the moment she is a creature of habit- between 17.00 and 18.00 she has come out (with the light on and people moving about getting ready for work etc etc) and is out for approx 4-5 hours so...

6)Would the Best time to feed her be when she is up and active and Snaking-Around? So that I dont have to wake her/scare her? and if so- would it be OK to physically move her from Viv straight to RUB?

7) When would be the average time after eating that I should have my eyes super peeled for snake-pooh?

As Ive said earlier- I know that there are MANY question above but I really want to know as much as I can so that I am nice and calm- and then hopefully she will be nice and calm and that feeding doesnt become a stressful time for her (or for my nerves- and Hubby says that I am a "Worrier"- Im not worrying- Im just a bit stressed/nervious as she is my first snake and I ant everything to run smoothly so that SHE is a Happy Snake!!!)

Many, Many, Many Thanks in Advance!!!

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  13:12:22  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skorps

Ok- So I bought Slinx (yes- "She" now has a nick name!) on Saturday (21st November), so will be looking to give her her first feed this Saturday (28 November). Her last feed was Thursday 19th November

I know that there are a lot of questions- but Im still waiting for ALL of the books Ive ordered to arrive (really thought I would have had them by now!!!)

I also want to organised and ready so that I am nice and quiet and calm come Saturday.

I have a RUB- complete with kitchen towel at the bottom- Feeding in the RUB so that she doesnt eat the orchid bark (dont like that either- changing it next week, after feeding- 48hrs or so that she digests properly)

My questions are:

1) How long does it take for the pinkie to defrost? Ive got in my head that obviously a chicken you would defrost all night... but the pinkie is a lot smaller then a chicken! (unless I have a giant pinkie- or a teeny tiny chicken..)

In a glass of hand-hot water it'll take about 15 mins(ish). You can always tell it's ready because when you gently roll it in your fingers you can feel no cold inside it. Some people let it defrost on a plate for about an hour, then blast with a hair-dryer to heat it a little bit.

2A) How do people defrost their pinkies- just curious- I know that you can defrost them on a plate... but leaving it for an amount of time it could possibly create bad bacteria- 2B)so how long in warm water? Ive also read that if you poor hot water straight onto the pinkie that its inners can explode..?
Partially answered above. But I also defrost pinkies in my mouth, but that's a weird preference.

3A) How long should I leave her with the pinkie if she doesn't chow down on it straight away? 3B) Should I put her in a quiet/dark corner for her to eat and watch from afar (several feet) or should I pop her on the side and keep eyes on?

You can leave her with the pinkie for up to 24 hours. It's your choice as to where you put her, try first where you can see her, then just watch for a bit (it's fascinating) and if she doesn't eat after 10-15 mins, the put her into a nice dark corner, or drop a tea-towel or similar over her feeding tub.

4) If she is a Non-eater- how long should I leave feeding before trying again? And the next time I try should I pierce the skull in hope that she will smell that it is tasty?

If she's a non-eater, there could be several reasons why (which we wont go into now) but most people will just wait a day or 2 then try again.

5) Now, I know that you shouldn't handle Snakey for 48 hrs after feeding- so to transfer her back into her viv from her RUB...? Just gently "tip" out- (not launch from the other side of the room or anything)
You can gently tip her out if you want, or you can gently lift her. Someone on here (can't remember who, sorry.) once said "that after you have a big meal you will happily walk to the sofa to veg out, but wont go for a 10 mile jog." So gently lifting is fine, just not full on handling session. Also if you do it this way, you might want to leave her for another 10 mins or so after she's eaten to let her hunting instincts go, otherwise she may think she's getting fed again.

Slink-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell has been EXTREMELY active since Ive had her all of 3 full days- and at the moment she is a creature of habit- between 17.00 and 18.00 she has come out (with the light on and people moving about getting ready for work etc etc) and is out for approx 4-5 hours so...

6)Would the Best time to feed her be when she is up and active and Snaking-Around? So that I dont have to wake her/scare her? and if so- would it be OK to physically move her from Viv straight to RUB?

When you feed is your choice, but when she's active can be a good time because you know she'll be happy to move. You can move her straight from viv to rub if you like, yes. I personally will handle my snakes for about 10-15 mins first, because I can't do it for another 2 days or so afterwards.

7) When would be the average time after eating that I should have my eyes super peeled for snake-pooh?

Average is about 2 days (48hrs), some do it slightly quicker, others a bit longer.

As Ive said earlier- I know that there are MANY question above but I really want to know as much as I can so that I am nice and calm- and then hopefully she will be nice and calm and that feeding doesnt become a stressful time for her (or for my nerves- and Hubby says that I am a "Worrier"- Im not worrying- Im just a bit stressed/nervious as she is my first snake and I ant everything to run smoothly so that SHE is a Happy Snake!!!)

Everyone worries, snakes will make you worry sometimes, they do it on purpose .
We don't care how many questions are asked, all questions will be answered, and we have no daft questions here either.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 24/11/2009 13:14:59
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  13:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it was spedz who said about the 10 mile walk.

I'd go with everything Kelh says, just dont defrost pinks in your mouth..

I think youv'e gathered he's a little bit wierd..
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  14:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

it was spedz who said about the 10 mile walk.

I'd go with everything Kelh says, just dont defrost pinks in your mouth..

I think youv'e gathered he's a little bit wierd..

Yep i agree too....

......Kehhlyr is wierd

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  20:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful!
Thank-you SO much Kehhlyr!
Im going to print that all off and stick it in her file!
along with all the other bits and pieces!
:)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  21:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Skorps,

I haven't had my snake for very long but because of this recognise all of your concerns and may be able to offer a bit of advice or share my experiences with you.

I usually defrosted pinkies for a couple of hours....

I defrost by placing the mouse onto kitchen roll, inside a very small "really useful box" or tuppaware! Then after a few hours I take it out of the tub, using the kitchen roll and place this onto Medusa's heat mat (as this is on the outside of her tub, I only move the tub over slightly to put the mouse (on top of the kitchen roll) on) this also prepares Medusa for dinner as she can smell it and it raises the temp of the mouse, I do this for 10mins.

I feed her in her tub, so when I first got her and she wasn't eating I put it in, in the evening and left overnight.

When I first got Medusa home she wouldn't eat for two weeks, I tried every three days. Eventually went back to where I got her from and they gave me four, smaller than she was eating, pinkies, so I gave her two of these together for two weeks and she wolfed them down.

I don't take her out to feed...

Again I don't move Medusa, but even when she appears to be asleep, if I put food in, she soons wakes up!

Medusa averages 2 days, I had no idea what snake poo would look like, but it really is quite obvious!

I hope this helps, I only got Medusa 5 weeks ago and my confidence has grown and grown as we have got used to each other and now I really enjoy her and hardly ever worry (except when she tries to make a break for it!!).

Tina and Medusa x

1.0.0 normal corn - Medusa
1.1.0 cats - George and Meg
0.0.0.4 Giant African Snails

Location Cranleigh, Surrey
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  03:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skorps

As usual on this forum you have had some great answers to your questions (except for the pinkie in mouth part ), so I will deal with this part.

It is great that you are trying to get as much info as possible on Slinky (like what you are calling her!). It really does sound as though you are trying to learn as much as you can for the good of your snake - the sign of a great snake owner .

The worry is also a sign of a good owner, because it means that what is most important to you is the welfare of your snake. Welcome to snake ownership! We all worry, about the smallest little thing, because there is so much about them we do not understand and may never understand. We have so much to learn, especially as new snake owners who are just finding their way.

Never worry about being worried...even if you are a worrier! Of course you are going to be nervous about Slinky's first feed, that is natural. You have done everything you can to be prepared, so just trust yourself, follow the advice given and do your best. It is all any of us can do, and the worry will keep emerging at times but just use the forum to answer your questions and help keep you sane. They are who keep me sane...or drive me mad depending on their/my mood!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 25/11/2009 03:21:02
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  12:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-You again!

Tina- how old is Medusa?

Kellog- Your words are soothing!

My Corn Snake book came this morning *Phew* - it was ment to have been with me on Friday last week! Ive already read it cover to cover and Im about to start it again!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2009 :  18:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Skorps, Medusa was born on the 16th March, making her about 8 and half months old. How old is Slinx?

She is now on quite small (not very hairy) fuzzies but feeding really well so next time I go over for more I'll increase the size and hairyness! However I still have no idea how she gets them into her tiny head and neck, it's quite amazing!

Good luck for Saturday, I'm sure it'll all go smoothly.

Tina and Medusa x

1.0.0 normal corn - Medusa
1.1.0 cats - George and Meg
0.0.0.4 Giant African Snails

Location Cranleigh, Surrey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000