snake sticking tongue out
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  19:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my male corn snake has recently gone into hibernation and the other day he had his tongue out dead straight not flickering or moving it just looked solid??

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  10:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you mean hibernation? Like cooling for the breeding period? Need more info on that please- temps, length of time, size of container etc.

If he is BRUMATING then he will be cooler and the bodies metabolism will have slowed considerably, and so he will not move as fast (including tongue flicking) so you may have just seen him tasting the air very slowly lol.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  14:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TEMP IS ABOUT 20 C IN A 3FT VIV BEEN ABOUT 1 MONTH, IS IT NORMAL FOR THEM TO BE ACTIVE WHILST IN HIBERNATION?

a round
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  16:47:09  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think if you are brumating him then a lower temperature would be required. I wouldn't let it get below about 7-8 degrees, but any higher than about 18 degrees and they would still be active enough to lose weight during the non-feeding period.

Even at really low temperatures Corns don't go down totally so they would still come out occassionally to drink water etc anyway.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  16:54:35  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
he won't be brumating at that temperature, it would need to get down to around 10-12 deg C. They need to be in top peak condition before brumating (which isn't really neccessary anyway) because the snake will be using its stored resources to survive on.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  20:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My temps lower naturally anyway in the winter months, even though the stats kicking out at, it says, 31* we only crawl to about 25*. 29* with the heating on in the house.

He still has enough heat to digest, their digestive juices stop working around 18*.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  22:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snake - are you trying to put him into brumation by lowering temp? If not what are your temps, is he drinking, what is viv set up like, age/size/weight of snake, is he feeding?

The experts need a lot more info than you have given so far, but if you can fill them in then hopefully they can work out what is going on.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  05:15:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have 2 corns hibernating 1 male 1 female hoping to breed them in jan/feb, they both eat fine they will eat wateva i give them they both shed in one, both in 3ft vivs with hides plants etc, they do drink i was just wondering y the tongue was so straight and still, but any advise on breeding as it is my first time wud b much appreciated oh ye there both bout 4ft, (2yrs old)1 ghost motley and 1 caramel, and 1 amber which is not hibernating, lol and i also got 2 aberrant sinalone milksnakes which im hoping to breed in the future

a round
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  11:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so they are at 20c and still eating? This doesn't sound like proper brumation.

Also, at 20c temps will be too cold to digest properly.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000