New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  09:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of you know im getting my first baby Corn tomorrow! I cant wait.

Havent got the internet at home so will be back online monday to let you know how the weekend went.

I think ive got one final question, lol...

When i get him home and set up his faunarium, obviously i will set it all up first and turn on the heat mat and thermostat. Should i wait for the viv to get up to temp or just put him straight in?

I plan to put a thermometer in each end to monitor the temp, and i am aware that im aiming for 30c at hot end and 21c at cold approx.

And would it be okay to handle him BEFORE putting him in the faun for the week? Or should i just put him straight in out of his little tub hes in now and leave him?

Thanks

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  10:40:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You must be so excited Gaz....bet you cant wait!!! Going to be tough without hearing from you over the weekend though!

Not 100% sure about your temp question....but I would have thought that it would be ok to put him straight in his faun. Am assuming you are getting it at the same time as your corn so cant set it up and get it runnning before you get him. Hopefully someone will be able to give you a more helpful answer.

I know it is going to be very hard to resist but it really is not a good idea to handle him once you have got him home and before you put him in the faun. If you think about it he will be very stressed from the travelling in his little tub and to be handled while he is like that would probably just scare him more. I know some people would do it, and have done it, and it has been fine....but my only concern is for your corn and the handling is for your enjoyment, not his...so dont do! Am I strict or what!!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  11:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Kellog, Yeh you are strict! haha. I will resist, i promise!

Your right in thinking im getting the faun tomorrow, i suppose it would of been a good idea to get the faun sometime this week and set it up before hand, but ive been working 16 hours most days this week (overtime at work)and havent had a moment, and the guy in the shop didnt seem concerned when i said i would be getting the faun and corn tomorrow.

It makes sense not handling, as you say i guess he will be pretty stressed out. Im just a big kid and cant wait, haha.

Thanks again

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  11:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont forget that when hes settled in we will want pictures
I'll admit that when i first got mont i handled him when i moved him from the tub to the viv but only as I was worried about tipping him out but all my others i just left the tub in the faun so they could make their own way out

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  11:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that what you reccomend then hannah? Put his little tub in the viv with lid off? And let him venture out on his own?

Ta

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

casper
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  11:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best thing to do in a ideal world is set the faun up for a week before you put the new snake in. This way you can make sure the temps etc are ok and deal with any problems that may occur before you introduce your new snake to their new home!
It might be worth asking if the shop will hold onto your snake for a few days while you get the faun set up and get everything working correctly and then pick you snake up a few days later!
If this is not possible and I know it will be hard because you are excited about getting your new snake which is understandable as we have all been there! LOL! I would say set the faun up and turn everything on, then put your snake in but make sure you monitor the temps over the next 24 hours to make sure that you have the thermostat set at the correct temperature! Its amazing how hot the heat mats get in a short time.
To be honest it will be fine as long as you are strictly monitoring the faun conditions for the first day or so!

With regards to handling your new snake before you put it in the faun. This is down to you and your confidence! You could pick it up and place in the faun or just pop the tub it comes in, in the faun with the lid off! Both are ok but make sure that once you have put the snake into their new home you leave them to settle in for a week! It so hard to not get them out, but they need to settle in for a week so only change the water for the first 7 days!

I hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  11:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much, that helps yeh.

I think i will get the faun and snake tomorrow, i cant wait any longer! lol. I will strictly monitor temps with 2 thermometers, no problems there.

I will be handling the snake in the shop before i bring it home, so i will just let him make his own way out of his tub into the faun to save any more stress.

Thanks alot

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  13:17:07  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i think it will be alright either way you do it just so long as you stick with the week rule. I left my heat mat to heat up to check if it worked andeverything get to tempretures before putting him in.

Tonights sleeps gnna be a long one lol good luck

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  13:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okey doke, thanks alot folks.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  16:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*Thumbs Crossed* Gaz- Im getting my new baby tomorrow also!!
We can post our "New Baby" pics together!!
xxxx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000