Shedding!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2009 :  18:44:20  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is it a good idea or bad idea to have fluffy out when he is in the shedding phase or is it best to just leave him in his home.

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2009 :  18:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every snake will be different regarding this, some will be very defensive and be likely to strike at you and some will act as though nothing is happening.

The snake will feel rather uncomfortable while in shed, and when they are in blue they are virtually blind. Handling could stress them at this time so i always leave mine where they are unless i really have to handle them for some reason.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2009 :  18:55:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its probably best to leave him while hes blue and getting ready to shed..
when they are getting ready to shed their eyes go blue and that makes them temporarily blind so they do tend to hide a lot more than normal,
i do check on my snakes when they are blue but i dont get them out unless i have to move them for some reason or its feeding day, i always offer food as Liberty and Edison will eat but mont wont

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2009 :  19:10:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Twilight hides for 9 or 10 days before a shed and is very nervous if I uncover him. Usually I feed him out of the viv but when he's hiding I pop his food under the kitchen paper with him and he eats it when I'm not looking.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2009 :  19:13:36  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ahh cool i think i might leave him from now on, i was hadnling him when his eyes were blue this time but i had no idea that they were temporary blind. He diddnt seem to aggitated whilst i was holding him he always just looks about whereever im holding him and has a good sniff about.lol bless him.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  05:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must admit to not handling Kellog from when he goes blue to when he sheds for the above reasons. I know some do feed their snakes during this period but I feel that it is worth waiting the few days necessary til after the shed - just cant get the vision of eating a 5 course meal while in my tightest jeans out of my head!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  19:44:41  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i] just cant get the vision of eating a 5 course meal while in my tightest jeans out of my head!!
xxx

Haha i must admit that would be pretttty bad.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000