New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  17:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am considering buying a new corn, i already have one but want another (think i got the disease) and have been surching around. i found a site that someone is selling corns she has bred. the one that i want is an amel stripe, it is gorgeous and has a block in the middle of its body, stripe then half way down a square block and then back to stripe, but i can't get it at the mo cuz it's not feeding properly and she is having to help it feed. i am just worried that wen i get it it might stop feeding again. i just need some reasurance that once she gets it to feed and i buy it it won't stop feeding agian. i am better getting another snake instead as i am a bit of a noob even though i have had a corn for a year now but never had any problems. will it stop feeding or will it carry on once i have got it and it is used to feeding.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  18:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The skill of the breeder will have a big effect on the corns chances of ever being a good feeder. Corns stop eating for many reasons- stress, insecurity, incorrect temps, bad handling, sloppy feeding routines (and on and on) so you can never be 100% sure that a corn will always be a good feeder.

If you have lots of support nearby, breeders, keepers etc,that can help you if it does stop feeding, and this woman gets it feeding well, ideally from tongs, then consider it, but if you are at all unsure, a bad feeder isn't for you. x

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  19:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what sb says,
if you arent sure you could cope if it did stop feeding again once you got it then dont get it, its a lot to deal with when you cant get them feeding,

I got a hatchling (butter stripe) when she wasnt very old - about 2weeks old (she hatched in the middle of August and we got her at the start of september). She hadnt been fed before as the gap between her shedding and us collecting her at the donny show wasnt big enough to avoid the risk of regurge,I know it wasnt ideal but we were picking up 2 other snakes from the same breeder so it was easier and she didnt think there would be any problems for us with feeding her (she was the biggest of the clutch at 6g's). How wrong we all were, she has only recently started, at the end of October, to eat (with assistance) small bits of pinkie and mouse tails - we had to take her to the local reptile shop to have them help assist feed her as I didn't feel comfortable doing it myself. If the gap between her shedding and the donny show had been bigger then her being a non feeder would probably have been noticed sooner and I'm sure her breeder would have been able to get her feeding eventually. Also we could have read up about what can help them to start feeding and what can prevent them from feeding. I learnt a tonne of stuff trying to help my non feeder but it definately wasnt easy, looking back I definately would have left her with the breeder for longer.
if you do decide to get her when she has started feeding and the breeder is confident about her feeding on her own,i would suggest reading up about non feeders just in case she does stop

sounds like shes a amel motley with the description you gave, motley pattern can manifest in a similar way to a stripe but with the break you described in the stripe shes probably an amel motley

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  20:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have started a new post in the photos section called amel stripe, there is a pic of her there.

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  05:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reptiledanny, I would be very concerned about taking on a snake that was a non-feeder. Even if the breeder is able to get it to feed there is no guarantee it will continue to, especially after the stress of a move and adjusting to new environment. A forum member had her own hatchlings and had to assist feed one...got it feeding....then it stopped again....so now we just wait to see how the next attempt goes. I know you really like that particular snake but surely it is better to get a different one with no known problems than one that already has a history of feeding trouble.

Sorry.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  07:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kellog: i get wat u r saying and might consider that then, i will try and find a different one that is feeding good and has had no problems.

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  14:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

If you have no previous experience with snakes then perhaps it's better not to start with a non-feeder. This happened to me, only it was by chance rather than choice, and looking back now I know that a lot of time and worry were wasted out of not knowing enough at the time and although the snake is doing ok now, we could have been further along the road to complete result had I known what I was doing right at the start.

Also, this being your first snake, you deserve to enjoy him to the full rather than start off with concerns and worries!

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  16:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye

If you have no previous experience with snakes then perhaps it's better not to start with a non-feeder. This happened to me, only it was by chance rather than choice, and looking back now I know that a lot of time and worry were wasted out of not knowing enough at the time and although the snake is doing ok now, we could have been further along the road to complete result had I known what I was doing right at the start.

Also, this being your first snake, you deserve to enjoy him to the full rather than start off with concerns and worries!

it's not my first snake, i already have a ghost corn but i do not have any experience with non feeding corns and i would panic so much wen she didn't eat. i don't think i will get her. all depends on wen she becomes available, if it's nextb year near donny then will give it a miss and get one at donny, don't want to have to go through all that stress again.

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  17:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Understood. Let us know what you decide in the end. If you end up having her, the forum will help with advice and in the end even experienced non-feeders owners started somewhere at some point. I'm interested in what you decide in the end.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  17:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, it might be a while anyway as sue says she is not doing to well with eating, next year?

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2009 :  05:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I got my adult 6 months ago he was feeding fine etc, had fed just before we got him. So we brought him home and he didnt feed for 13 weeks. The forum were great supporting me and explaining what was going on and just keeping me sane....but I wouldnt wish that worry and fear on anyone...and he was an adult with weight he could lose not a hatchling non-feeder. I certainly would never choose to put myself in that position again.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000