New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  08:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been on search engines etc doing alot of research on corns, and i am getting very conflicting information on Salmonella.

We are expecting our first child in february and i am just wondering if there is any HUGE problem with having a pet corn regards Salmonella?

Obviously i will be cautious, snake wont go near baby etc, handwashing goes without saying.

I assume some people on here must have snakes and babies?

Do you advise changing clothes after handling the corn? Before holding baby etc?

Do they carry Salmonella on the bodies? Or is it just in there digestive system?

Many Thanks

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  09:29:42  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They carry it on their skin. To me, cloth changing wouldn't really be necessary, as the only way you can really pick it up is if you were to lick the snake or stick it in your mouth or something There's been medicinal journals that actually theories that increased exposure to Salmonella can actually increase your resistance. But again, unless you or the baby is gonna be chewing on it, I wouldn't worry much further than hand washing and common sense

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  10:00:47  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PunkAsF82

.....as the only way you can really pick it up is if you were to lick the snake or stick it in your mouth or something ....

ooops, I regularly hold my snakes between my lips.
Then again, I've been doing that for as long as I've had snakes.

NOT good practice, so I wouldn't recommend it.

And I have to confess, I did lick one about a month ago, purely because I just wondered what they tasted like raw.
Before anyone asks, they didn't really have a taste.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  10:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well put Punk.

I have yet to get salmonella. Must have developed the natural immunities. I wouldn't worry if you always washed your hands before and after.
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  10:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks all,

My main concern was the baby rather than myself.

I was thinking about keeping a long sleeve top by the viv and having that as my 'handling top'. And taking that off after handling my snake etc.

Was just wondering how much of an issue the Salmonella was.

Thanks again

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

Mnementh
Yearling

United Kingdom
537 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  11:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:

.....as the only way you can really pick it up is if you were to lick the snake or stick it in your mouth or something ....

And I have to confess, I did lick one about a month ago, purely because I just wondered what they tasted like raw.

LOL , Kehhlyr , weirdo

I use Matron so do all the kids , after every handling we put a few drops of this on , it's a bio handwash gel used against MRSA etc . I also have another hand hygiene lotion which is anti bacterial . If we have been feeding etc then it's wash hands and a drop of lotion .

One last jump , that's all we have to take Holth .
Wearily the old queen gathered heself to spring ;
Moreta gratefully began her litany .
Black , blacker , blackest -
They went between .
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  11:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know it may seem extreme but I do wonder if having a snake handling top is a good idea...considering how babies mouth against your clothes and dribble on them and are sick on them and suck on them (hope you are ready for all that!). Maybe do the top thing just until your little one old enough to be past the stage of mouthing on your clothes. Dont think it is really a problem but better to be safe than sorry.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  11:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kellog,

Will deffo do the top thing. Like you say baby would be all over clothing etc.

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  12:45:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just use the alcohol gel before and after handling. In fact it's in my bag just now as we're moving a friends fully grown corn to her new house, so got the gel with me just in case!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  14:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had snakes for 7 years, never had salmonella. As I once said in a previous post "the grubbier the better"- natural immunity developed by relaxed hygeine.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  15:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Your'e wierer than I first assumed.

quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

I have had snakes for 7 years, never had salmonella. As I once said in a previous post "the grubbier the better"- natural immunity developed by relaxed hygeine.

Struggled to say that!!
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  17:32:21  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it is said that reps shouldnt be kept aroumd children under 3 but thats just what i read.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  17:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think as long as you are sensible about it and dont let baby grab anything that hasnt been cleaned after contact with a snake ect then you should be fine, a snake only top sounds like a good idea
good luck for when the little one does arrive

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  18:24:40  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm similar.
I grew up near as damn it in a forest. Mum used to call us in, we'd brush the visible lord-knows-what of our hands, then eat.

Probably ingested a fair few bugs that way. Which I assume is what you meant by 'Natural immunity developed by relaxed hygiene'

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  18:29:10  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Salmonella lives in the gastrointestinal tracts...

quote:

They carry it on their skin. To me, cloth changing wouldn't really be necessary, as the only way you can really pick it up is if you were to lick the snake or stick it in your mouth or something There's been medicinal journals that actually theories that increased exposure to Salmonella can actually increase your resistance. But again, unless you or the baby is gonna be chewing on it, I wouldn't worry much further than hand washing and common sense

do you have a source for this information?

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  18:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm similar.
I grew up near as damn it in a forest. Mum used to call us in, we'd brush the visible lord-knows-what of our hands, then eat.

Probably ingested a fair few bugs that way. Which I assume is what you meant by 'Natural immunity developed by relaxed hygiene'

Yeah thats what I meant, came out all wrong- stressful day, brain is melting...

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  07:26:33  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm similar.

I can join you on this one Kehhlyr. Basically growing up at a horse stables, running around, getting covered in i dread to think, then going and eating lunch while sat on hay bales surrounded by again who knows what I probably ate some sort of swine flu virus waaaay before everyone else cared

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

531 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  23:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got over samonella ...But i can honestly say it wasnt from my snakes...I had a dodgy curry lol and its something i wouldnt wish on anyone....I always use hand gel but i also use gloves when cleaning but then thats me .snakes and children are not a prob ...just make sure you wash ya hand when handling or cleaning out the snake.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000