Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Some work to be done.. r.e the new arrival.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  11:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bit TOO smelly.
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  14:08:06  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

A bit TOO smelly.

Your right you might end up killing the fella with one of your socks

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  20:03:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah got a few in there now mate. one ontop of hot and cold hides.

he's been sat in his hide all day. Once was out about 11 this morning, i moved the viv door which he was leant on and i got a massive hiss.
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  18:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No change, still rattles when i walk past the viv.

When I eventually do handle him properly, I want to be prepared.

Any ideas how to handle a biter?
Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  20:20:41  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just dont restrain him. That'll probably cause him to bite.
He may move quick, trying to get away from you. So you may wanna try handling him in an open space where, if he does get out of your grip, you can easily catch him again.
Short but often and he'll eventually calm down

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  20:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool thanks mate. Will try that.

I'm thinking, thick hoodie and clean gardening gloves, balaclava.. (WILL GET PICS OF ME GOING INTO BATTLE - LOL!) Perspex riot shield.

Would just taking bites and rattles and get him out regardless will help or make things worse? Never had a biter, yet all of them have hissed and tried their luck. Just he's bigger..
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  18:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I keep bumping this thread but i'd rather keep to one topic than start another one.

So i got him out last night. all fine.

I saw a big coil sticking out of the newspaper earlier on, grasped him and he rattled. he may have been asleep, i don't know because that couldv'e startled him?

I've been bad, well, good in my habits ;) full handled last night. he had 5 days to settle in and i started the retained shed coming off so he could finish it, but no luck.

I'm going to try with the oven gloves and my thickest hoodie later. if he's biting me, do i keep handling him?

thanks.
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  19:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha, I'm not sure really, he's a wierd 'un. I sat with the viv open, he raced out onto the oven glove so i gently lifted him and he's all chilled. No mood swings, he was wicked!!

Blazey one;

Dare I post this one? - I'm straight, don't worry!

he got a bit tooo friendly for my liking, he's strong!!

edit:/ also got the retained shed off!

Edited by - hillzi on 20/11/2009 19:53:43
Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  19:59:22  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha lol thats like the exact same viv as ive got but alot bigger :D wheeyyheyx

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  20:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lmfastcars

Haha lol thats like the exact same viv as ive got but alot bigger :D wheeyyheyx

theyr'e good vivs! the wooden one or the perfecto one? they hold my snakes safely and securely, so i'm pleased!

I'm so happy how he's coming along!!

Edited by - hillzi on 20/11/2009 20:17:29
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2009 :  00:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is fantastic how well you have done with him Hillzi . It is strange...maybe he has suddenly got over his fear of you and realised you are really harmless...which your pic of you obviously shows .

You do pose nicely with the lastest accessory - a snake neck choker ...had you been practicing????

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2009 :  06:04:08  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya mate. I got your email. Sorry for the delay. Things have been a bit busy here. The two things you need to aim for are proving that you aren't going to hurt him and gaining his trust. We all know that you won't hurt him but from his perspective all he sees is a big ape that is trying to grab/eat him. He'll get there. You are doing all of the right things by letting him come to you. If he doesn't want to come out don't grab him. Just let him come to you and if he starts to hiss/S-bend/strike then stand your ground. He'll soon realize that it won't make a blind bit of difference. Good luck .

I don't have Matilda anymore as her ASBO was revoked and I rehomed her so I'm currently corn-less

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2009 :  18:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats alright man, i like your comparison, true in his eyes.
I did when he struck at me whilst I was playing rainbow 6 vegas 2 on the box, out of nowhere, i just looked at him thinking 'you silly sod, you just headbutted the glass'

Blaze was dreadful after dinner time, did the pigeon head bobbing and rattling so i fed him in viv, now he's happy coiling round me while eating.

On the handling front, do i handle him when he's trying to bite me?

edit:/ haha Judith, he just decided to go for a roam around my chest and ended up coiling round my neck!

Edited by - hillzi on 21/11/2009 18:39:49
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  04:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

On the handling front, do i handle him when he's trying to bite me?

I am no expert Hillzi...as you know...but would think that you need to persevere as much as possible. If you stop handling him when he tries to bite you then wont he learn that to stop you handling him he just has to strike at you?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:17:45  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Another trick that works, if you have the time, is to sit in front of the viv with the doors open and talk to him. Go brush your teeth first because then he will associate the smell with someone who isn't a threat. Likewise with handwash. Try and stick to the same brand so the smell is the same every time. Lots of patience and, as Kellogg said, perseverance .

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2009 :  17:27:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i did that on friday night, took like 2 minutes, came out of the hot hide, was like 'hmmmm whats this red fury moving branch?' and he was out and no stopping him.

I think it must just be a phase of being stressed and un settled, he was asleep and i just got him out, he was fine, if a bit sluggish check the big corn club for piccies. :D
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2009 :  21:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for an update, heres his viv now.

Got 2 hides, waterdish, treated stick and some scrunched up newspaper and 2 plants.

Edited by - hillzi on 29/11/2009 21:41:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000