New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  19:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew my baby wasn't shy but was still amazed that he let Mike and I watch a full shed yeaterday evening!! I expected it Tuesday as he seems to have a really regular pattern and had been hiding for 10 days prior to this so I checked on him when I went to bed lifting up the kitchen paper - he was REALLY grumpy. Next minute he was pushing his nose really hard against the glass and the skin on his head just popped and folded back on his head. He then kindly proceeded to do the rest of his shed right at the front of his tank so we could watch every inch of it!!

Sorry the pic is from right at the end but I was so amazed by what I was seeing that I didn't think to get the camera earlier! In the last three weeks he's gone from 15 to 17 inches and from 14g to 20g. I'm very proud!

Here's a pic with my husband immediately post-shed.He looks like he's getting a little bit of brown and creamy yellow on him now.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  19:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pics Sam! We watched Kizy shed, it's amazing! Glad you got to see it!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  19:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After 7 years, i still havent seen a shed...

great pics you lucky devil!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  19:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hes so pretty and shiny!
you are so lucky to see them shed, i caught lucien finishing his shed which was fascinating

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  20:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, now he's REALLY showing off by becomming a snake ambassador. Just had my hairdresser 'round who's son wants a lizard for Christmas. I had a good chat with her about my experiences and research before getting our Rankins, costs, feeding etc then said, 'have you thought about a snake?' She had one of those looks of disgust on her face and said she couldn't have a snake in the house but as I talked about the pros in my opinion of Corn over lizard she melted a little so I said, 'Do you want to meet Twilight?' She wasn't keen but said OK and nearly climbed into the nearest kitchen cupboard when I brought him in, but then he turned on his snakey wiles.....

He was slow and gentle, inquisitive, cuddly, lots of tongue flicking etc. Five minutes later she not only approached him but briefly stroked him () and left our house positively considering a Corn and promising to visit our local reptile shop! Good boy Twilight - what a charmer!!

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  20:42:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to add the evil sinister laugh as we win another to our side of the Force......

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  03:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel like a proud foster mum - from a distance!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  20:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well done twilight for convincing another possible addict
iv found that having a picture of Little One as my background on the pc at work gets a lot of questions and definately changes the opinion of quite a few who didnt like them

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  21:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't mean to change the subject but wat is a Rankins Dragon. i was looking at sammysnakes sign and it says Rankins Dragon. i lookes it up on google images and looks the same as a beardy. am i right or is it something else like a beardy or completly different

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2009 :  22:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a close 'cousin' to a Beardie. Beardies are Pogona Vitticeps and live in Central Australia, Rankins are Pogona Henrylawsonii and live in Western Australia on black soil. Main difference is they are smaller (average 11 inches), have less pronounced spikes around the head and a squarer shape to the face. They eat less veg (or none in the case of Keydo) and need slightly lower basking temps. They also need a dish of water in their enclosures which Beardies don't. I got one because I didn't feel I had the space for a Beardie and because they cost less to feed than a Beardie.

Behaviour wise they are almost identical - they enjoy being handled (Keydo closes his eyes when I stroke the top of his head) and he recognises voices, responding differently to different people.

Here's a pic of my boy. He's a year old but not yet fully grown as he decided to go into deep brumation for six months at the age of three months. Grew like mad when he woke up though but is now sleepy again (thank goodness I've got Twilight to keep me company!!)

Go to Top of Page

angelsue
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  21:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Twilight is loverly have seen my baby shed everytime an last time i was amazed at he shed in my hand felt really weird lol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000