Non Feeder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please help! We have a 5.5" male who has always been a good feeder, but for the last few months he has either refused food or regurgitated. He is active and basking and drinking plenty of water but is losing weight. He has recently started to shed every couple of weeks, even though he is not eating. The sheds are very patchy and are never complete. We are really worried about him as we've had him since a hatchling.
Our nearest reptile vet is about 15 miles away and our car is currently off the road so we have no way of getting him any help. Can anybody suggest anything that we could try or has anybody experienced this in their own snake? Any advice greatfully received! Thank you

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the site Julie, I would say a vets visit is in order but here are a few ideas and questions for now.

Put some reptoboost in his water (google it you can get it online) this may help perk him up abit it may not but it won't harm him.
Also get a damp hide in his viv to aid with the dodgy sheding, basically an ice cream tub with a hole in, filled with damp spagnum moss (if you cant get moss shred up some disposable dish cloths it'll be better than nothing)

What are the temps in snakeys viv (both ends) and how are they being mesured?
How long have you been leaving him between feeds and after regurges??
What size pray have you been offering?
Any chance of a photo of his viv/set up?
is his still pooping and producing urates (white poo it's actually snake wee)
is there any other issues? swellings/lumps/bumps? have a feel all the way down his body paying special attention towards the vent area.

Remember any advice we can give is purley that 'advice' if this has been going on for a while a vets trip is your best option.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  21:29:30  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
regurge more than once for an unidentified cause should mean a trip to the vet i'm afraid........bus or taxi?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  11:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with GingerPony. I went through a 13 week fast with my 4yr old corn, but he was just ignoring food offered and from advice on here I came to understand that he was horny and therefore there was a reason for him not eating. But if your snake is regurging, losing weight and bad shedding out of cycle then you need to get it to a vet. Do you have a friend or family member that can take you? Or surely the price of a taxi is worth your snakes health and wellbeing?

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000