First Handling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rik
Hatchling

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  17:44:00  Show Profile  Click to see Rik's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The time is fast approaching Khan's first handling. Ive been sitting with my hand next to the tank and Khan seems curious now and not just snaking away.

When I first go to handle him what should I do if Khan goes into a hide? My first thought was to leave him. Thats his safety zone. Or do I move the hide and procced?

Rik

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  19:15:06  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Id just move the hide and pick him up calmly dont panic as they can sense this

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  20:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They can seem to panic & try & get away but once they can curl their tail around your fingers/hand/wrist they feel alot more secure & calm down, that goes for babies & adults. As Hiper says move the hide & pick it up with confidence, if you show any kind of insecurities that can stress them out. Hope this helps

0.2.0 cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royal Pythons (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Ghost - Hogan, Carolina - Shaggy, Snow - Sparkle, Amel - Tango, Crimson -Fred, Candy Cane - Haribo & Normal Stripe - Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 fish
Go to Top of Page

Rik
Hatchling

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  22:15:35  Show Profile  Click to see Rik's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thankyou for the information. Just wasnt sure about removing the hide if thats where snakey headed for. Got no fear of handling I cant wait (have handled a friends corn snake regular).

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  23:42:37  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rik

Thankyou for the information. Just wasnt sure about removing the hide if thats where snakey headed for. Got no fear of handling I cant wait (have handled a friends corn snake regular).

Thats fine we are here to help each other out, Just dont handle snakey after a feed for 24-48hours.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  05:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to be like you Rik....not wanting to intrude on Kellog's safe place. But then we had a 'mite's incident' and Kellog went into hiding after that, never coming out of his hide. I finally took Hiper's advice and started carefully taking him out of his hide, doing it very slowly to give him warning when I lifted the hide, then grabbing him and returning the hide. It made a real difference, getting him out and handling him again felt so good and think it must have stimulated him cos he started coming out of his hide again and behaving normally. Now I always lift off his hide and take him out, no problems.

As for when you first handle him....if he is out and about it would be interesting to see if he came out of the faun of his own accord....or at least stuck his head out showing interest...but with you sitting next to it so he knows you are there. Let us know how it goes.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000