New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  23:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Ive just got my first cornsnake i rescued him from my friends son who didnt look after him properly and had no time for him, hes a year and half old so i was told hes around 3ft. He was living in a tiny fish tank with newspaper in the bottom with a rock that was so small he couldnt fit in it and a plastic takeaway container as his water dish.

My wife went out and brought a vivarium, heatmat, cave, proper bedding, a log to climb up on and a waterdish, luckly she loves me enough to allow me to keep him as she doesnt like snakes.

Since hes been in his new home he has stayed in his cave, the only time he comes out is when i get him out, he strikes when i go to pick him up but luckly enough it doesnt hurt and his tail always shakes, but once hes out and im holding him hes fine unless you move suddenly then he will strike. The boy fed him every Thursday so today i tried feeding him but he kept striking at the mouse and wouldnt take it so after 20 mins of trying i left the mouse in the vivarium and he still hasnt eaten it. Will the snake calm down?

many thanks

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  00:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With patient, regular handling of a few minutes a day (to start with) he will settle down beautifully.

If you have only just got him then he really needs a week to settle into his new home before you handle or feed him, with you only going in to change his water. You will find even this will help him to calm down.

Another trick to help the snake calm down is to put a t-shirt you have worn in his vivarium overnight to let him get used to your scent which should help him realise that your scent is not a threat to be attacked.

It will settle down and become more handleable and less aggressive, it will just take time and patience as i said above.

Edited by - n/a on 06/11/2009 00:10:30
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  02:13:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly welcome to the forum madhouse! You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. Not sure how much snake care and advice you were given by your friend's son (its sounds like he needed some) but I would advise the following:

1. As Bioshock as suggested leave him for a week to get over the stress of moving to your house and let him settle into his new surroundings by leaving him without handling or feeding for a week. Only put your hand in daily to change water and straighten substrate, that way he gets used to your smell. Once the week has passed feed him (leave him 48hrs without handling) and then hopefully he will have settled down a bit more. What you are describing sounds like viv defence (although I am no expert) and also you cannot be sure of how of or how well he was handled when your friend's son had him. It may be that he associates being handled as a bad thing, or he may just be defending where he knows he is safe. The idea to put a piece of your clothing in the viv is also a good idea, cos then your scent is always around for him to get used to. When you put your hand in daily stay as far away from him as you can so that he doesnt feel threatened.

2. When it does come time to handle him you just need to treat him as you would a new hatchling, which means being very patient and calm. Some may suggest using gloves or a snake hook to get him out but IMO it would be best if you can do this without using them - I guess that depends on how you feel about being tagged! Put you hand slowly into the viv in a way that he can see it coming, so you dont surprise him. Dont make any sudden movements and just be persistant. You could also try just opening the viv and seeing if he will come to you rather then you going in and grabbing him - that way he is 'choosing' to come into your domain rather than you 'violating' his viv....this would certainly help if his actions are down to viv defense. Maybe keep your handling of him to only 5 minutes each go, then build it up over time - to minimise his stress.

3. Make sure you read the care sheet on here, lots of information for new snake owners.

4. No question is regarded as a silly question on here.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!

5. I hope you got as much info from your friend's son on his snake when you took over it....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos!!

6. Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible!

I do hope some of the advice helps, please let us know how it is going on.

I know it may not seem it at the moment when things are difficult but I had better warn you that corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have only just started down that path!!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 06/11/2009 02:19:26
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  13:37:44  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Mad, welcome to the forum, glad to hear about the rescue and a shame he is so aggresive, hopefully he will calm down.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  12:10:27  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
have you read the thread about what to do when you first get your snake home?
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

he's probably very stressed out at the moment....and are you used to handling snakes?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  18:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Thankyou all for your advice, just to let you know he has calmed down alot he doesnt strike when i put my hand in his vivarium or pick him up, my wife who doesnt like snakes held him this morning and he was fine never hissed or striked her, he fed perfectly this afternoon and then he had a look around his vivaruim. I think he was stressed out after moving him from his old home and the car journey.

Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  20:47:02  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
don't handle him until he's eaten a few times for you as this alone is a possible stress cause.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  10:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear he has calmed down but do agree with eejit. Feeding is more important than handling and although he may seem fine it is probably still stressing him out a bit. So....get a few feeds down him and then try handling. When you do handle him remember to wait the 48hrs after he has eaten to give him time to digest.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, what a story! Welcome to the forum.

Is the heatmat statted?

Where did you get your OH?
Ones I seem to pick up HATE Blaze. It's a case of Blaze or the girlfriend who stays... Guess who gets my vote.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  21:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks for you advice eeji i have taken that on board and wont handle him for a while.

Hillzi my wife is one in a million she is patient with me lol.

I will post pics in a couple of weeks time when hes settled.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  21:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Glad to hear he has calmed down but do agree with eejit.

deliberate or accidental

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  23:08:06  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

quote:

deliberate or accidental

i missed that!

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  03:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

quote:

quote:

deliberate or accidental

i missed that!

So did I! Please accept my deepest apologies eeji!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  03:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

quote:

quote:

deliberate or accidental

i missed that!

So did I! Please accept my deepest apologies eeji!!

xxx

Ok, now I am panicing about how many times I have made that mistake!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000