New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  10:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

My Name is Chris, and I have been reading the foums and caresheets on this site for a few weeks now, getting advice and tips on how to make a pet snake a very happy pet; and i must say a BIG thanks to everyone who posted, some very useful discussions and tips.

Well i got my little vivarium for my hatchling a week ago and set it up. On the advice of this site i threw away the analog air themometer and bought 2 digital thermometers for the vivarium, a ministat 100 and 3 hides for the little guy. The tank was running for a week with constant monitoring to ensure all was fine.

I bought Little Chuie 2 days ago from the pet store and he is only 2 months old and a little cutie, (pics will be provided as soon as he appears :) ).

I will leave him alone for a week to settle in, the only question i had was he has settled into the cold side hide, is this ok or if he doesn't move in a couple of days, should i risk disturbing him?

Sorry for convoluted post, but wanted to says hi, thanks and nip in a sneaky question all in one.

Keep up the good work guys n gals, this is a fantastic site.

Chris

May Mother Nature walk beside you always.

Chris x

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  10:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome [:)
he will move to the warm end himself when he gets too cold but as he is settling in still I'd wait a few more days before moving him about

look forwards to the piccies!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  11:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome! Congratulations on the new snake! If all of his temps are ok, he'll move back and forward between the hot and cold side (probably at night or when you're not looking though!) Now you've had him for a few days, he will probably start coming out a little at a time for a nosey round his new home! Bet you can't wait for the week to be over so you can get him out! Can't wait to see the piccies!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  13:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corns being the nosey creatuers they are, will be out sure enough. It will be a steady process, he will stick his head out say, you go and have a nose and he'll shoot back in. As he gets more sure of you, he will stare at you longer. then eventually he'll get more used to ya.

Welcome btw!
Yes it is good to leave him for a week, change the water daily and sift about in the substrate and leaves (if you have any , theyr'e not essential though!) That gets your smell into the tank, or place a clean peice of clothing not reeking of deodrant/perfume/aftershave whichever you chose to wear. :)

Again, you don't know what hes upto at 3am, he's probably racing round!!

Any questions, no matter how silly they seem, ask away! Wer'e all (well, theres SOME exceptions ) are friendly.

Nah I'm just kidding, wer'e all friendly and this is the most friendly and informative snakey forum :d
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  13:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot guys n gals,

I'm know he will be fine, just anxious new parent here ; he probably wonders what the fuss is about lol.

May Mother Nature walk beside you always.

Chris x
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  16:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi and welcome!

Thanks for the thumbs up for the forum, I agree with you, this is the best place, where all snakey-questions are welcome.

Sounds like your little guy is doing exactly what he's supposed to do. Like Hillzi said, snakey may well be taking his Grand Tour while you're fast asleep, and even if he doesn't, no worry: as long as temps and everything else is good, he'll know what to do.

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  21:45:32  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum, I'm farely new as well, I haven't even got mine yet, lol. Soon though.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  21:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad you have finally got Chuie...you have worked so hard to find out as much as you can and done well getting the set-up right before getting it...well done!

Certainly there are no concerns about Chuie staying in hiding a bit...what the others have said is right. He will probably be a bit stressed from move and taking time to settle in, so it is not surprising he is staying out of the way when he is unsure about his surroundings. He is probably coming out when you are not around....he will be coming out to drink and explore the viv at night. Be patient, as he settles in, gets used to your smell and becomes more confident you will see more of him. A lot of corns do stay hidden during the day, either in their hides or under the substrate...it is their nature. Good luck in lasting the week of non-contact! It is so hard and tempting to get them out....

Once again, well done Chris! Chuie is a very lucky snake!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  22:19:48  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

sounds like you're doing absolutely everything right which is great he'll probably be exploring while you're asleep and should find the warm end and his water no problem

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  23:13:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And soon enough, he will be doing the Oylmpics, mines got a silver in Gymnastiques i'll have you know ;) He'll quite happily root through the leaves and prop himself up on his circular vent. (Due to the Perfecto tanks design) Out in the open, and when the lights are on.

Not so great when i'm trying to sleep and i hear rattle, rustle, the vent rattle, and a splosh when he falls into the waterbowl.

You gotta love 'em ;)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000