Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  13:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a quick question..

if a snake does regurge, does it take as long to come back up as it does to go down??

i hate feeling/being sick anyway so knowing that it would take a while to come back up would freak me out..
as none of mine have regurged *touch wood* i just thought id ask..been bugging me for a while!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  14:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I dont know but i thought this would be a good place to post a question as my snakes feeding time is in 6 days.

After feeding, (in a external enclosure, to avoid association with food everytime you put your hand into his viv), I take it you cant pick him up to put him back into his viv as this will make him regurgatate?

Or does it take more than a simple lift and move to make him do this?
Or should i avoid using a external enclosure? Though most forums i have read many carers say to use one.

Thanks in advance.

Urema.

P.s. Ive watched loads of vids of snakes regurgatating and it takes a while for it initially to get up, but then it slithers out quite quick. However these were bigger snakes, and not corn snakes so it may be different with these species.

IThink
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  14:16:11  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hannah It takes as long to come up as it does to go down from what i have seen

Urema, placeing your snake back in the viv will not make it reguge.It takes alot to get them to. One of mine got fed, put her in the viv 10 mins later I noticed she had masking tape on her right on the bump! (we think it was in the bedding as the shop bags it up) It took about half an hour of bathing and tugging to get that tape off, and i was expecting a regures, but nothing!! So just putting a snake back will not cause it so carry on feding outside the viv!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  14:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant thanks.

IThink
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  14:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Hannah, it takes the same amount of time really.

Regurge video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW4Ni4Dg1FM

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  15:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
think il avoid the video as im currently eating lol..
thanks guys.. how gross is that though..imagine knowing you are going to be sick but for it to take 10mins to happen.. eeew lol

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  21:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HannahB - dont watch it....you dont need to. It is horrible seeing the distress the snake is in.

Urema - I fed Kellog for 1st time ouside of viv last week. Wait until bump is about the middle of your snake and then very gently lift him, not touching near the bump but holding him just down from head and tail. This should not stress him at all and shouldnt cause a regurge....it didnt with Kellog.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  21:52:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just in case you were starting to feel better Hannah.....

regurge can come back up relatively quickly

and i feed my corns out of the viv and do the same as Kellog for putting them back
and allowing them time to work their meal down to their stomach also gives them time to come down from 'feeding mode' so you're less likely to get tagged as well

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  21:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by urema

After feeding, (in a external enclosure, to avoid association with food everytime you put your hand into his viv), I take it you cant pick him up to put him back into his viv as this will make him regurgatate?

it takes some stressing out or a dodgy meal to make them regurge.. simply lifting him up and then putting him back will be fine - just make sure you support the area where the bump is

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  22:00:43  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i don't know how long it takes, all i know is it stinks like hell when you find it

all mine get fed in their tubs so no need to worry about moving them afterwards :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  23:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

quote:
Originally posted by urema

it takes some stressing out or a dodgy meal to make them regurge.. simply lifting him up and then putting him back will be fine - just make sure you support the area where the bump is

Bit worried about contradicting a mod but I am sure I was told not to touch the area of the bump...was worried that it would need supporting but was told not to. I may be wrong and I know corns are a lot tougher than we give them credit for.... xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  23:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i usually do with edison and liberty but not so much mont simply because they are so small and its easier to hold them roughly in the middle than either side as they are so speedy!

tbh i dont think it matters much as long as its a quick journey for them back into their vivs

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  09:03:40  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i personally support them in front of the bump and near the tail but as long as you're just supporting their weight not grasping the snake firmly................well, there's more than one way to skin a cat!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  09:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont grab them or anything..with libs and edison being so speedy and small i usually end up with the bump in my palm anyway..i always have my hand flat though so i dont squeeze or anything

Go to Top of Page

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  10:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hold their feeding tub inside the viv and let them slither out on their own, with the occasional helpful shake of the tub and try not to touch them at all!

0.0.1 classic: Bellatrix
0.1.0 anery (het amel): Luna
1.0.0 hypo lavender (het amel ph stripe): Orion
1.1.0 kittycats: George and Pixie
1.0.0 hound: Shadow
1.0.0 husband: Louis

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  18:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My baby very kindly sits still on a piece of kitchen roll in the middle of my bed to feed, then I gently lift the paper with him on it, supporting underneath and gently back to his tank. I may need to think of a new method when he's 5 foot long though.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

69 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  20:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A1 paper is the solution to that SammySnake! lol

Joshua.E.S
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake