New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  11:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,
been reading and researching on the site for a couple of weeks ready to buy our first snake. So hello :-)

We have just got all the bits for a hatchling corn setup, faunarium, heat mat, stat & double probe thermometer. It's been running for a day now and the warm side has settled to 29.5 (no inhabitant yet) which I'll lower to 28 now. The thermometers have suction cups but the thermostat probe is just resting on the kitchen roll on the heat mat (which is glued under the faunarium).

Should these be touching the mat and any suggestions on the best way to fix these in place more permanently, as they obviously won't stay where they are when 'snakey' arrives. A definite no to tape...other suggestions?

We like the bloodreds, but given their price any way to tell one is actually a true one? A local shop has one left at £120.

Sorry longish post, but thanks in advance.

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  14:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ok. You are right: no tape in the viv. I didn't bother fixing the probes in place. Snakies do move them a bit sometimes, and so I move them back to where they should be whenever necessary.

Sounds like you have it set up correctly as you are, with the probes touching the surfaces they are supposed to measure.

How much does your cool end measure, please? Do you have hides in the cool end and in the warm end?

To see a picture of a Bloodred hatchling, take a look here:

http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/bloodred/

For all morphs and wild types, here:

http://iansvivarium.com/cornmorphs.php

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  16:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hawkeye,
sitting at 28.5 and 21.5 respectively. A hide at each end made from half toilet roll centres for now.

The hatchling we've seen looks exactly like the first photo on the link which is good news :-) Still not quite sure why they are so expensive though. I would prefer something with more patterning but the adult colour is incredible and I've been outvoted :-)
Thanks

0.0.0 cornsnake (collect this week :-))
0.1.0 Rat (Dust)
0.4.0 Chickens (Sparkle, Lizzie, Summer & Nugget)
1.3.0 People - anyone spot I'm outnumbered?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  16:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CornMitr

Thanks Hawkeye,
sitting at 28.5 and 21.5 respectively. A hide at each end made from half toilet roll centres for now.

The hatchling we've seen looks exactly like the first photo on the link which is good news :-) Still not quite sure why they are so expensive though. I would prefer something with more patterning but the adult colour is incredible and I've been outvoted :-)
Thanks

Your temps are perfect, hides sound ok, and here's another idea: small pot plants, cut an opening with scissors. I'm inclined in favour of these because they're more "enclosed" then half a toilet roll centre, but that's just my opinion .

Why are they more expensive? Well, a bloodred is one of the selectively bred, almost a "made to order" morph.

What do you mean you've been out-voted? Tell them to go get their own snake!

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  16:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have my probe wires weighed down with my ceramic plant pot hides.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2009 :  19:02:33  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Your temps are perfect like that, and there is nothing wrong with toilet tube hides, ur snake will appreciate it just as much as an expensive one!
Bloodred are expensive one because they are selectively bred, and 2 because they are so good to look at lol!!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  04:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Cornmitr! You have found a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. So glad you are researching before getting your corn, so many people just go in and buy then get home and realise they know nothing about caring for it. I know you have had advise about the temps but would advise the following.

1. Make sure you read the care sheet on here, lots of information for new snake owners. You will find on other sites lots of conflicting advice and information, but it happens exceedingly rarely on here - the good thing about this forum is that it is discussed reasonably with all opinions given fairly....it is then a case of you making up your own mind about what you think is right because in the end you are the snake owner.

2. No question is regarded as a silly question on here.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!

3. I hope you get as much info on about your snake when you get it....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos!!

4. Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible!

If you post in the Introduction section you will get a proper welcome!

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000