New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

213 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  01:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

At the risk of sounding stupid I have a question about stackable vivs...

I have a cunning plan that involves me acquiring at least another 2 corn snakes over the next year (I have no ambitions to breed them btw, just want one of each of my fave morphs) and I would like them to eventually be in a stack of vivs.

My question is, whilst I know that the heatmat goes inside a glass viv, does the heat from the mat above affect the temp in the viv below? I've never seen the set up at the back of a stack, are there gaps between each viv that are concealed from the front? Or does the heat just not radiate that way?

I'm sorry if this is a dumbass query but I was trying to find a pic online of the back of a stack, to no avail . Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance xx

0.0.1 Normal Corn (Cinco), 0.1.0 Ghost Motley (Sadie), 1.0.0 Amel Corn (Snuggles), 0.0.1 Classic Corn (The Stig), 1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python (Ba'al), 1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal Python (Paladin), 4.0.0 Cats, 1.0.0 Other Half, 0.3.0 Drains on My Resources (or Daughters)

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  01:56:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am assuming you are wanting to use a wooden viv stack (you mentioned a glass viv having the mat inside, when in fact they have them under the tank) so i will answer based on that assumption.

No, the heat mat does not affect the temps in the viv below, not to any great degree anyway. In my stack the roof of the bottom viv in the location of the upper heat mat is marginally warmer than the surrounding roof but it is not adding anything to the vivs ambient temp.

In a viv stack there are no gaps between the vivs, so as you may of guessed from the above post, the roof of one viv is the floor of another.

I would pull my stack out and take a picture for you, but my snakes have recently fed so i don't want to disturb them.

Edited by - n/a on 19/10/2009 01:58:36
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

213 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  02:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Bioshock.

I'm sorry I was confusing the issue re glass/wood. I did mean a stack of wooden vivs, not glass. I'm not really sure why I put glass(!) as I'm not even considering getting one, let alone a stack of them! (I've got 3 kids and two of them are under 5 so a tower made entirely of glass would be a HUGE nono in our house )

I've been looking at cost and they're on the pricey side but there is a company offering free delivery (homes4reptiles). If they're still free delivery come this time next year then I may go with them. I shall have to do a more research first though, I'm a bit iffy when it comes to buying online, especially when something seems a bit too good to be true!

0.0.1 Normal Corn (Cinco), 0.1.0 Ghost Motley (Sadie), 1.0.0 Amel Corn (Snuggles), 0.0.1 Classic Corn (The Stig), 1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python (Ba'al), 1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal Python (Paladin), 4.0.0 Cats, 1.0.0 Other Half, 0.3.0 Drains on My Resources (or Daughters)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  02:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just took a look at the site, and they are selling stackable vivs (as you originally said, doh). I believe from the photos and description that there is a difference between what i described and what they are selling.

It looks like the ones they are selling are individual vivs that you can put on top of each other and maybe secure with a dowel pin or something, in that case there would be a tiny gap between the vivs and they would not share a roof/floor.

What i was describing was a viv stack which you would not be able to split, it does the same thing but the vivs do share a roof/floor.

Edited by - n/a on 19/10/2009 02:20:01
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

213 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  02:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh right. Sorry, it's me confusing things I think because I honestly didn't know there was a difference! I guess if these don't share a roof/floor then there really is no chance of heat transfer anyway. I'm still open to ideas and suggestions on future vivs. It's a bit of a minefield and I'd appreciate some guidance, there seems to be little point in joining a forum with so many experienced owners and then not listening to the advice offered.

It's a god job I've got a while before Cinco is ready for a viv (and I haven't actually bought a my second, let alone third snake yet, although I'm on the lookout!). I just thought it was worth thinking about now because it certainly looks like I've got some saving to do

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000