Nearly had 2 fried snakes!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  20:28:32  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Erlier I checked the viv temps and they seemd a little high, (they share one big heat mat) so I tweeked the stat downand left for a while went in to check on them and the temps had rocketed to 55c! I quickly unplugged the mat and stat and was about to get the heat mat out from under the viv's when I noticed the probe had come unstuck, so the stat was not kicking in.
I got both snakes out and checked them over and luckaly they seem fine. I put them into sepreate boxes for a while as the bottom of the viv's were roating!!
Im glad I noticed, but was wondering what do you use to stick your probes down? Mine was on a sucker, but now I have taped it on with electrical tape. will this be ok or is there any better way of getting it to stick and STAY?
Im relieved this happend now and not over night I dread to think what temps that mat would have got to and the damage that could have been done to my girls.

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  21:08:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Duck tape. The heat doesn't seem to effect it. Well done on the close escape. Glad they are ok.
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  21:14:48  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I got some in the car so will go dig it out! Im going to check the two girls again tomrow for any blisters. I dont think it had been like it for to long as the frist time I checked it was 35c and few hours later it was at the 55c. The top of the substrate did not feel to hot, but under the substrate was! And they were both on the warm sides but on top of the substrate when I noticed, so hopefully they have had a lucky escape and no harm done.
Should the worst happen and they do get blisters develop, other than putting kitchen roll in, what else can I do to help them heal? Being sunday tomrrow no vets are likely to be open, but im hopeing they will be fine and no blisters.
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  21:30:10  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ive always had a problem with marmalade deciding to crawl under the probe lead and lifting it it when i was on the substrate, wo shen i moved her from tub to viv i taped the prob onto mat with gaffer tape atleast that way i know the mat is never going to get above wateva the stat is set as so if she burrows down to it shes safe

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  21:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had that issue once but the mat only got to 44c- I dont stick my probes down with anything, but both of mine have flower pot hides, and I make sure the pots are over the cables- they are checked daily.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  23:05:23  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
With one of my old ones, I used a glue-gun to stick it to the mat.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  01:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am curently keeping my Cali King in a RUB, it is forever moving the temp probe and giving me very inconsistent temperatures. This evening i have drilled two tiny holes in the floor over the heat mat and cable tied the probes from both my thermometer and my thermostat directly to the floor. I used the smallest cable ties i could find and they are both firmly in place.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  01:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

If you need a vet on Sunday I think I have someone you can turn to in Charlton, if that's any help. I hope you won't need them but if you do their opening hours on Sunday are 11-2.

I've never been there so this is not a recommendation, just information. Check them out here:

http://www.barrieranimalcareclinic.co.uk/epv/contact.htm

Fingers crossed, the girls will be fine.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  02:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad you caught it in time Paula....I dread to think what might have happened had you not realised and gone to bed. Cant help with the probe problem but am sure you (with everyone on here) will work it out. xxx

Go to Top of Page

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  10:49:06  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i use a glue-gun to stick the probe down i also use it to block any holes drilled in the back of the viv seemd to work very well and dont smell. wouldnt want to risk them getting stuk to any tape thats been put in the viv..

2 male corns (Bilbo and roger)
1 female corn (lizzie)
2 dogs westies (jock & morag)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  11:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

How are Missy and Karma today?
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  11:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow lucky escape..
i have my probe under libs faun which is in the middle.. i have a thermometer in each faun so i can see whats happening although it took me a while to work out why edisons was so much higher than the others and then i realised.. he has a habit of curling up around the probe lol

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  11:40:48  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the info guys.
Hawkeye I have bookmarked the vets, thank you so much.
They seem fine today and I could hear them moving about last night which is good!
I have my prope now taped to the mat which is outside the viv's as its one mat 2 viv's.
Im going over steves parents for dinner today so I'll ask if I can borrow her hot glue gun. If I do that though will I be able to get the probe off again? As when they upgrade ill need to get it off to put the mat inside the viv.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  12:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad to hear karma and missy are ok!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  13:22:06  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have my probes under the RUBs with the weight of the box holding it down. In the beardie viv its cable tied to his basking spot

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  17:14:22  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yes it will come off ok i have glued things down then taken them off again with no problems at all. is what i do is just put a blob of the glue on what ever your sticking it to first then put your probe onto the glue. mind cause it is very hot. maybe let it cool for 3 or 4 secs before sticking the probe.

2 male corns (Bilbo and roger)
1 female corn (lizzie)
2 dogs westies (jock & morag)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  17:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
see I dont wanna stick anything I may eventually want to unstick- its just too much hassle!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000