So proud of my Missy!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  23:18:38  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today My partner said he wanted to hold one of the snakes incase he ever has to handle them. So I went and got Missy out for him. He was shaking like a leaf (only now he tells me he has never held a snake!) Missy moved very slowly, wraped her tail round his wrist as though she could tell he was scared of dropping her, which was his main fear. She then only moved slowley and very little movements. Steve said he will hold her again, and hopefull over time get over the fear of droping her!! He only held her for a minute before he got to scared so I took her off him and she perked up climbing all over me! Steve said How can you let her do that? what if she falls? So I sai i always have a hand near her in case she tries to go up a sleeve or down my top nd the other is ready incase she does fall. Then I pointed out that no matter where she was on me, she always had part of her fuly wraped round something for her own security. He replued oh is that why she wrapped round my wrist? so she would not fall? One i said yea he said he already feels better about holding her next time!!

Im so proud she never freeked out with him, as I have heard some snakes pick up on fear and react to it as they dont feel secure?

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  23:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Fantastic, hats off to Missy for knowing exactly what to do! She probably did pick up something from Steve but she handled it great and now there is good progress on the way to turning him too into a snake fan, and of course it's brillint that she did exactly what was need to raise his confidence!

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  23:30:58  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I had filmed it, It was almost like she was saying, "it's ok you wont drop me so dont be scared"
Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  00:23:01  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well done Missy, Syd had the same affect on my mum last weekend, exactly the same thing she was scared to drop or hurt him, but he was perfect. Do they recognise nice & kind people????

0.2.0 cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royal Pythons (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Ghost - Hogan, Carolina - Shaggy, Snow - Sparkle, Amel - Tango, Crimson -Fred, Candy Cane - Haribo & Normal Stripe - Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 fish
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  04:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think post should be 'So proud of my Missy and OH!', they both did really well!! Got my mum to hold Kellog for 1st time last week (pic soon) and she was worried about same thing...dropping him. So I got her to sit down and I just stayed close to stop him disappearing over her shoulder and down into the sofa! She was so proud of herself!! Cant wait to post pics of FB and shock my sister as she never believed mum would do that. Animals do 'read' fear in humans and react in different ways...Missy obviously knew what was needed to reassure Steve. I worked for Riding for the Disabled and the horses used to play up when we rode them from field to get them ready...then you put a disabled child on them and they changed character totally, knowing they held precious cargo. Missy knew she was being held by someone who needed her to behave!! xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

67 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  09:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a good snake and well done to your other half, he'll be pestering you to get another snake of his own in no time, my snakes and my love for reptiles in general has had that effect on my other half. He can't get enough of our cold blooded friends now!
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  18:02:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bless er what a good little snake! and kellog, I completely agree about the horses- one of my clients has special needs and he comes every week for work experience.

One day we had in a new 16.3 3yo gelding that was pretty wild, and was very naughty when being handled. I had turned my back on Stu for 2 seconds when I heard him crooning to something on the other side of the yard. He was in with the horse, and was dangling off its ears kissing its nose (btw Stu is a fully grown man, so not small either!) The horse never moved a muscle, till he let go, and then went nuts lol. I fell in love with that horse then and there!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  18:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aw well done missy
wont be long before hes wanting his own snake!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  19:20:20  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey couple of more handling sessions and you might end up getting another

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000