Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  22:18:55  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just over two months ago I bought a 4ft corn snake. She's a friendly and lively snake. The person I got her of told me she was eating 2 large mice a week, sometimes even eating his baby corn snakes pinkies if they didnt eat them on top of that. She had been fed two days before I bought her so I brought her home put her in her viv and eventually after a week tried her with a large mice. She wouldnt take it. I wasn't too worried because another friend of mine who keeps snakes say they go off their food for couple of weeks due to the shock of being moved into a new enviroment?
now the person i got it off used to feed her two large frozen mice every week he'd put them in warm water till they defrosted and heated up then feed to the snake. The problem I have now is, we're coming up to three months of no feeding, I've tried to go through the same as he did with her food and she wont take it, just incase i've tried leaving a mouse out to defrost then heating it up a little. I've tried looking it up online for tips, followed those tips. Nothing seems to work. She hasn't started loosing weight yet and she's pretty active. vivs at right temperatures. so I'm at a loss to get her feedign again. I've been told live feed isn't allowed over her and its a bit dangerous for the snake in enlosed areas as they can get hurt. I'm not sure where to go from here? could it be that she has just been fed too much? it was suggested by a friend that might be why. Any advice would be great. I'm not sure where to go from here!

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  22:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would certainly be concerned about a snake eating that amount. How old is she? How much does she weigh? My snake, Kellog, is just over 4 feet and he is on one extra large mouse every 10 days.
When we first got him, which was about 6 months ago, he didnt feed for 13 weeks. Got great advise from this forum and they kept me calm and sane. For him it was probably a mixture of the stress of the move and getting horny at the same time. I offered him a mouse every 5 days, which he ignored, then left it in overnight, removing it the next morning. Then suddenly one morning he struck! Was so shocked, excited, amazed....
There is a sticky on here about non-feeders giving you tips on what you can try - like braining it (cutting into the skull and spreading blood and brain matter on the mouse). Am sure you will get a lot of advice and support from 'Those that know'....but from my experience the best advice I can give is dont panic, especially if you are keeping a close eye on her weight and she is acting normally and drinking etc. Sometimes they just do this.... xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  23:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi.

Assuming there are no setup issues to sort out first, http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720 would be a good place to start. While you're "digesting" that post, how about leaving a thawed mouse in the viv overnight to see if she'd prefer to eat in private? Put it on a piece of kitchen roll to prevent her flavouring it with substrate, though.

But back to set up: is her viv esposed or does she have the sides covered? What about hides? Describe her setup or put a piccie, you'll get advice on how to correct if anything needs to be, or lots of thumbs ups if the set up is right.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  04:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with Hawkeye - as much info about snake and set-up will allow 'Those that know' to get a better feel for what is going on. xxx

Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  09:26:44  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its a wooden 4ft viv with class sliding doors at the front. Shes got a reptile light that runs along the back. I use aspen on the floor, theres a large water bowl on the left infront of the glass with a box hide behind it thats the cool side, theres a couple of logs intertwined in the middle and another box hide ontop of a heat pad for her to hide in. I turn the light on morning to night so prettymuch from when I get up till I go to bed so she has some sort of day/night sort of thing. I have been thinking of getting some sort of follage to go in there but i havent wanted to disterb her anymore until I can get her feeding again. I've been avoiding handling her, I left the food in there last night she hasnt touched it.

I'll try to get some pictures, but my cameras broke at the moment and I havent been able to get a new one yet.

Edited by - Twi on 16/10/2009 09:28:38
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  10:09:03  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Out of curiosity, did the previous owner feed it in the viv?
I ask because I have snakes that wont eat unless they are inside their little feeding tubs.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  10:13:27  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yup she was fed in the viv previously I have tried outside the viv incase.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  11:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say firstly that she was being way overfed! Cut it down to one large every 7-10 days, or an x large every 10-14 days.

you have said your temps are right, but what temps are they exactly? incorrect temps will stop a snake from feeding pretty quickly. what are you monitoring the temps with, and do you have a stat set up? digi thermometers are the best, do not go by the stat dial as they are very inaccurate.

post pictures of your set-up and maybe a couple of your snake too so that we can see her body condition properly. weigh her every week on digital scales if you havent already been doing so and monitor any changes.

try-
dipping the mouse in tuna juice or chicken stock
rubbing the mouse with another animal- rat, gerbil, chick, rabbit...
splitting the skull, pulling out some brain and rubbing it over the mouses head
splitting the side of the mouse
super heating the head with a hairdryer
leaving the mouse out to defrost naturally outside her viv, so she can smell it for hours before feeding
taker her for a drive in the car (correctly packaged!) to stimulate the stomach juices

also, corns really dont need lights to keep them happy, the natural changes in light between day and night will be enough for them. make sure she has plenty of hides aswell.I certainly wouldnt contemplate live feeding just yet, its not illegal over here unless you do it for entertainment or in front of an audience.

dont try to feed too often as it causes stress to you and your snake, and stress is a big factor for non-eaters. once or twice a week is fine.

Wow ive written an essay- hope it helps!

good luck and keep us posted. x

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  11:16:11  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I was told the light was to help her produce calcium. I usually try her once a week sometimes 10-12 days.
Like I said I'll try to get a picture but I have no camera, the picture in my sig was taken before my ferrets kocked it off the side and broke it lol
I'll try some of those things suggested.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  11:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never heard that about a light before- corns deffo dont need em! who told you it?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  11:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Does she have ONE hide or TWO hides? She needs a hide in the cool end AND a hide in the warm end.

Put the folliage in, the potential benefit outweighs the "do not distub" she's way past the settling in period so it should be totally ok.

Same question as SB: what are the actual temps, please?

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  11:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it says above she has a box hide in each end

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  11:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

it says above she has a box hide in each end

Thanks, SB, I went back and saw it.

Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  12:24:57  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The temp varies between 26 and 30C the end where the heat pad is.

As for the light i was told the UV in it help to produce calcium? By the guy i got her off. I dunno mostly i use it so that she has a night and day and its what shes used to. We're not in the room all the time and there isnt a lot of light in here.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  12:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Twi

The temp varies between 26 and 30C the end where the heat pad is.

is that just the heat mat or both the mat and the light? if thats just the mat then it might be that the light is giving off a lot of heat too and its generally too hot in there for her..

do you have all her feeding/shedding records? 2 large mice a week is far too much too for a snake that size to be eating..should be around every 10-12 days for that size could it be that shes a fussy feeder but you havent been told?

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  14:19:22  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thats the heatpad and light.
She finsihed shedding just before i bought her but i wasnt given any records.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  17:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so the light is a heatlamp? if so, get rid of it, 2 sources of heat isnt needed nor appreciated! it could be that the air temp is too high. What are the temps in the cold end too?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2009 :  21:06:31  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
its a uv reptile light

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  17:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
had any luck with Ginger yet?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  22:06:54  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Off to get some more mice tomorrow i'll try her when I get home, I think seem as we're going down the road i will get the one i have left out tonight and take her for a drive down to shop while I get more and see if that helps and try some of the other tips if it doesnt.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  09:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did it go?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page