Multiple Pets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr Lupus
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  00:13:33  Show Profile  Visit Dr Lupus's Homepage  Click to see Dr Lupus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi guys - long time no see - been really bus with work and everything else so just aint had the time to browse - back now tho :D

Anyways - it would appear that I'm moving in with my friend soon and she wants to keep gerbils, but we were both a little worried about Lucius and Gerbils in the same household. Can he smell them if they're on the same floor as each other or not?

2.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake (Lucius & Draco)
1.0.0 Caramel Ghost Corn Snake (Snake)
0.1.0 Snow Tessera Corn Snake (Ferguson)
1.0.0 California King Snake (Riddle)
0.2.0 Ferrets (Lisbeth & Bane)
0.1.0 Cat (Hannah)

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  02:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think that if you house them in seperate rooms you should be ok, but you must make sure you wash your hands after handling gerbils and vice versa. I would try and house them as far away as possible in the house, but I am not sure how strong a sense of smell a snake would have in the situation of a house with walls, doors, etc. Am sure that 'Those who Know' will be able to give you a better answer. xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  11:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
someone on here im sure has gerbils (or similar) in the same room as their snake.. I think if they are in separate rooms and you wash your hands inbetween handling the gerbils and the snake they you should be fine

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

58 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  11:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
My housemates has male rats in the room next to mine, they are quite strong smelling sometimes and I can smell them so I guess Acorn can, but I've never noticed her being funny in my room, she is always lovely to handle.
I did take her into that room the other night though and she got a bit excited and started reacting funny to my hand movements so guessing she could def smell them!
I think you should be find though in separate rooms, just be careful if the gerbils are overly smelly on cleaning out days etc.
I've actually handle acorn after holding the rats/quails (I forgot! and even I could smell the rats/quails on my hands lol) and she was in shed and she was fine, maybe she only likes mice as thats all shes even eaten?! lol.
I would recommend washing your hand after lucius before gerbils too just incase the smell scares them, their bites would hurt alot more than a corn snakes!

0.1.0 normal corn snakey (Acorn!)
0.1.0 Border collie cross (Molly)
0.1.0 Cat (Tess)
0.5.0 Japanese quails (Belle, Ariel, Nala, Beauty, Mary Poppins)
0.2.5 Tropical fishies
Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  11:47:53  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Deffo wash your hands between handling or you can join the rest of us at the snake tag inn

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  12:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as everyone else has said, wash your hands when switching pets and as long as you dont wave a gerbil about in front of the viv you should be fine

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dr Lupus
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  20:28:47  Show Profile  Visit Dr Lupus's Homepage  Click to see Dr Lupus's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great advice there guys - thanks :D

2.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake (Lucius & Draco)
1.0.0 Caramel Ghost Corn Snake (Snake)
0.1.0 Snow Tessera Corn Snake (Ferguson)
1.0.0 California King Snake (Riddle)
0.2.0 Ferrets (Lisbeth & Bane)
0.1.0 Cat (Hannah)
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  23:39:06  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Dr Lupus, it was me who originally asked about Gerbils and snakes in the same room. And although lots of people on here have expressed their concerns (which are duely noted) I have found a few people who do this and have no problems. I have 4 Gerbils, a Leopard Gecko and topical fish. The first 2 are concidered prey to Corn snakes. I also visit a Gerbil forum which I posted on and someone on there has had Gerbils and Corns in the same room. I shouldn't think there will be a problem with posting a link to it as it is not a snake forum (can Mod please confirm). I'll see if I can track it down for you.
As the previous members have already stated as long as you take precautions you should hopefully not have any problems. I have also posted another post on this site you may want to keep an eye on, this is to do with precautions I plan to take.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6258.
Various people I have spoken with including a person I will be getting a Corn from have kept Gerbils, Chinchillas and Rats in the same room as Corns, Kingsnakes and Pythons, some of which are caged next to each other. A word of warning though, despite the negative or positive advice you get from anyone it is upto you to try it and only you are responsible for the consequences. So I am not advising it is ok, I am in the same boat as you.
When is it taking place for you? If this all happens before Xmas I would interested to hear how it goes.

Kind reagards

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000