New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  20:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is long, but I need to get this off my chest:

I've finally managed to get a pinkie down Shen. (Well, at least most of it, excluding some joice and perhaps a very small part.) It was still a very assisted feed that took some time and included dipping the mouse in egg yolk, explaining to Shen that pinkie needed to fulfil its desinity, putting Shen down to wash my hands (pinkies get slimy after some handling) and give Shen a little bath (snakes get sticky after some handling with pinkie-stained hands), one nearly successful attempt that failed on because a piece of pinkie skin got caught on Shen's lower jaw, and a couple of times where he opened his mouth but spat pinkie out the moment I let go. But finally, suddenly, Shen decided pinkies were edible after all, and once he put his mind to it, it didn't take long for pinkie to disappear down, including a part that had come off while we were playing.

I left him in the feeding box for an hour or so to let him work the mouse down and see he wasn't bringing it straight up, and when Hawk reported back that the bulge had now reached the middle, I took Shen back to his viv.

I'm cautious about the celebration because I want to get through the next couple of days without seeing any mouse-bits coming back up.

The plan is to them give Shen 6 days, then offer another feed in the hope that this time he'll just take the pinkie rather than need to be assist-fed, but after 8 and a half weeks of fasting I feel relieved that a pinkie has finally gone down. There.

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  20:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats great news
fingers crossed he will keep it down and feed well for you next time
you must be relieved!!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  20:59:36  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My god thats great news well done!!
Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  21:20:59  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice one, bet you are so happy! My snakes have always eaten anything they are given so dont about this, but well done aha!!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  21:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so relieved...so can only begin to imagine how you 2 must feel! I know how it felt when Kellog fed after we got him and he didnt eat for 13 weeks, but then he was an adult so it wasnt as bad. It is really good news, and I am glad you are being realistic. Just wait and see what happens now. xxx

Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  21:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant news! We're so pleased that Shen has taken some food! Fingers crossed that he keeps it down! (He will!) Bet you're both pleased and relieved!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  21:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks guys. Yes, pleased and relieved, but holding back on opening the bubbly until I'm absolutely certain that this mouse, or what's left of it, only comes out the end it's meant to.

This is going to be a long 48 hours. (48 hours = 2880 minutes = 172800 seconds)

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2009 :  02:22:13  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well done,lets hope she keeps it down

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2009 :  13:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mate i know how you feel... when i finally got a pinkie down Cleo without it coming back up i was checking the viv for mice every 5 mintues for 2 days! it was a nightmare... anyway congratulations and i hope she keeps it down! once she is feeding nicely she'll be a healthy corn in no time! :)
p.s. i admire the dedication and care that you have treated your difficult snake with, many would have given up and returned the snake, i salute you (both)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2009 :  16:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jono2411

mate i know how you feel... when i finally got a pinkie down Cleo without it coming back up i was checking the viv for mice every 5 mintues for 2 days! it was a nightmare... anyway congratulations and i hope she keeps it down! once she is feeding nicely she'll be a healthy corn in no time! :)
p.s. i admire the dedication and care that you have treated your difficult snake with, many would have given up and returned the snake, i salute you (both)

Thanks Jono, much appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  03:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again a forum member has put what I want to say better than I ever could, so I am stealing your words Jono - i admire the dedication and care that you have treated your difficult snake with, many would have given up and returned the snake, i salute you (both)!! xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2009 :  10:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Once again a forum member has put what I want to say better than I ever could, so I am stealing your words Jono - i admire the dedication and care that you have treated your difficult snake with, many would have given up and returned the snake, i salute you (both)!! xxx

Thanks for that, Kellog

Now we only need to get to 7pm tonight without any mouse bits coming out the wrong end, and I'll start breathing again.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000