Shedding..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  12:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back again for a bit of advice. Spike II has settled in really well and feeds well and is not to bothered when handled. I have noticed this morning when changing his water that his eyes are slightly blue/cloudy does this mean he is due to shed??? Also should I feed him and handle him during this shedding process???

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  12:25:30  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It means he is getting ready to shed, the snake can get quite stressed during this time as they are partially blind. I feed both mine during shed but take care not to stress them, make any sudden movements or handle them more than necessary. Some snakes may not feed during the blue eye stage.

As soon as his eyes clear up it means he will shed within a few days.

When he has shed, check to see if the eyecaps are on the shed and he should be nice and sparkly ready to be held again

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura

Edited by - lucifer on 12/10/2009 12:25:52
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  12:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barios

Back again for a bit of advice. Spike II has settled in really well and feeds well and is not to bothered when handled. I have noticed this morning when changing his water that his eyes are slightly blue/cloudy does this mean he is due to shed??? Also should I feed him and handle him during this shedding process???

Yes, he's preparing for a shed. Offer food, he may or may not take it but it's worth a try. Best not handle otherwise as his eyesight is currently impaired and chances are he wouldn't like being handled.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  12:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
some snakes will eat and some wont.. out of my snakes liberty is the only one to feed when her eyes are blue but shes like a dustbin so its no surprise lol
if you do handle him do it on his terms..if hes out see if he wants to be held but some dont as they are left with limited vision

when his eyes have cleared it should be around 5-8 days later that he actually sheds..some are faster like Liberty who went from blue eyes to clear to shed in 5days..

dont forget to post some piccies of him looking sparkly and new

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  14:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Lucien, I usually feed mine when they are in shed, and if they dont want to eat then they wont. I do keep handling to minimum though, because they can get stressed due to their impaired vision.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  17:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers people, oh Lucifer how long before Sven up sticks???
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000