New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  05:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sister, in SA, found a bearded dragon in her garden. Is obviously tame and happy to be handled. She has notified SPCS and vets and neighbours, but is thinking about keeping it if no-one claims it. Anyone know of a site/forum like this that can support her and be accessed from SA? xxx

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  13:15:19  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
She should be able to access us.

Although we are a cornsnake forum, we do still help with any/all reps (if we can).

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Karl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
121 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  16:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know its referred to as the "darkside" but RFUK lizard section is normally quite friendly

ooops, I bought another.........
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  16:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she can join here
maybe she will become another convert to the snake world and end up getting a corn or other snake too

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Williamson
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  21:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a fantastic site for information, for litterally anything you need.

http://www.exclusivedragons.com/CareInfoLibrary/Care_Info_Library.html

I haven't signed up for a dragon forum, other than RFUK,but haven't yet posted anything on there as I'd rarther ask on here or use the website above.

This is a good nutrition guide. it'll tell you whats good and bad for a Beardies diet.

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

0.1.0 Corn snake - Galaxy
2.1.0 Bearded Dragons - Herb, George & Nala
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  22:09:00  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karl

I know its referred to as the "darkside" but RFUK lizard section is normally quite friendly

dont do it!!!!youll regret it just sign up on here and explain your situation,theirs plenty of experienced lizard owners on here

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  19:59:03  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'd rather stick red hot needles into my eyeballs than recommend anyone to the darkside! :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  20:21:57  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

i'd rather stick red hot needles into my eyeballs than recommend anyone to the darkside! :D

Wheres the thumbs up smiley?
You'll just have to do with this

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  03:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have messaged my sister on Facebook including all the websites mentioned. Looks like she is keeping him and has named him George - well, she wanted Alfie but was overuled by her boys! Sounds like she is taking all her advice from a reptile shop. Have no idea how good it is, but have warned her to be careful. She has now started a vegetable garden growing loads of herbs to feed him and is also feeding him on crickets dusted in calcium (or something like that). Does all that sound right? Hopefully she will join us here! Would be great if she did. xxx

Go to Top of Page

Williamson
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  07:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds spot on Kellog. Depending on age, it's either crickets everyday when young or crickets every other day when adult. Under 12 - 18 months there diet should consist 80% insect 20% veg eventually become 60 veg and 40 insect as adults.

Make sure she checks the nutrition guide out as some veg is very bad for beardies, and they'll eat anything put in front of them.

We need pics, and I prefer George tbh :)

0.1.0 Corn snake - Galaxy
2.1.0 Bearded Dragons - Herb, George & Nala
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

67 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  23:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep Bearded Dragons myself and totally agree that RFUK is NOT the answer all she'll get there is bitching. Agree though Beardies will eat just about anything and there are some foods that they should never have, occassionally have and can have everyday. Everyone has a different oppinion on bugs I feed mine about 10 locusts everyother day. Beardies are very lazy and not very fast so locusts are great as they dont move to fast either and have far more nutrition then crux, also alot of people sware by roaches which are also very good for them and can be bread easily, personally they make me squirm! Veg should be fed everyday, absolutely no iceberg lettice as it gives them the runs!! Not nice to clean up and lizzy poo stinks the hole house out! If she wonts help I'd be happy to share what I know.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  01:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lynne06

also alot of people sware by roaches which are also very good for them and can be bread easily, personally they make me squirm!

I have looked into beardies and may eventually get one... and this is the way i would go regarding live food.

The fact i am also seriously thinking about getting back into pokies is a bonus as they will also feed on roaches.

From what i have read a breeding colony of roaches is very easy to maintain and would save a fortune on food bills. It is also pretty easy to set up a meal worm breeding colony if you would fancy feeding those as a treat.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  20:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meet George

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 19/10/2009 20:14:03
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  20:16:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aw gorgeous!!
she should pop him in a jiffy bag and send him my way

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2009 :  21:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

aw gorgeous!!
she should pop him in a jiffy bag and send him my way

Dont think he would survive the 13 hour flight in a jiffy bag! And there is no way she is ever going to get him away from her boys even if she wanted to! xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

67 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  14:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
meal worms are no good for beardies the shell can't be digested, not really any good for a treat. Mine have had them when there was nothing left at the rep shop they went without there bugs for a day cuz they woulden't touch them. Not good for them anyways. Roaches if I could get over the squirm would be great apparently the lizzies love the way they scurry, and they are very easy to breed. I breed the locust's and started mine off with a cupple bulk loads off ebay! they get crux for a treat once in a wile, and waxies but they have no nutritional value and are very fatty. They get a tub between all of them every cupple of months. There like lizzy chocolate!

Ment to say aswell George is sweet, he looks in good shape, defo IMO an adult. oh and I thought a cool fact ya might like to know about male beardies is that they have two penis's so they can take the femal from either side, lol, handy!

Edited by - n/a on 20/10/2009 14:05:16
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  23:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Silkworms are a great food, best live food going in terms of nutrition but they are expensive and hard to get in the UK - don;t know about Oz. I've tried Phoenix worms too which are a great source of calcium but my little guy wasn't very interested (although that was just before he started brumating). Mealworms don't have any nutritional value but can be handy for getting a reluctant eater to start feeding again - just make sure you offer the freshly moulted white ones which have much less chitchin and can therefore be digested easily. Waxworms are high in fat and low in nutrition - the cheeseburger of the dragon world - so keep as an occassional treat. I hate crickets as they hide in the viv and can nibble on a baby dragon if left in overnight but locusts are loads of fun to watch!

You said your sister is dusting with calcium - is she also using a multi-vit and calcium balancer twice a week? Nutrobal is the one I use - calcium five times and Nutrobal twice per week.

Hope that helps, Sam

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  00:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update from SA -

George is doing well and now has a big cage for outside - this way he can
lie is the sun, as well as get some exercise. His diet is not great - he is
definitely not a greens fan, but does like mealworms which are absolutely
disgusting. He get fed once a day - usually lunchtime - and this is usually
about 5 disgusting crickets or mealworms. I managed to kill the silkworms
before he got to them, and if they don't wiggle - he didn't want them.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  21:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George looks cool - great find!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000