Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 How often should he get a ReptoBoost bath?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  22:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Got Shen into water with Reptoboost. He was pleased to stay there for 7 (seven) minutes and drank some of the water.

Now wondering when to give the next ReptoBoost bath?

(The background to this question is that Shen has been with us since 19 Aug but still hasn't taken a pinkie. On advice from the shop I recently gave him four meals at two-day intervals, each meal consisting of two quarters of adult tail. Last meal was 7 Oct. Next meal I'm going to try with a pinkie, but since he's still not getting full and proper nutrition, I'm continuing with ReptoBoost in his drinking water and now the bath, only I'm not sure how often to repeat.)

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  14:54:25  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i don't think there's any set guidelines, if he's drinking and doesn't appear dehydrated then probably once a week while his feeding isn't great, and added to his fresh water daily

but then........... what the h**l do i know apparently!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  15:02:25  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh GP the fact you have saved many snake and rep's lives, give out great advice, work in a vets, and are always polite and plesent dont mean you know anything!!
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  15:04:24  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Seriously though, you are a credit to this forum and all those who use it. Most health questions have the phrase "ask GP" in them at some point. May you long live and be giving in your welth of reptile knowlage!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  15:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

i don't think there's any set guidelines, if he's drinking and doesn't appear dehydrated then probably once a week while his feeding isn't great, and added to his fresh water daily

but then........... what the h**l do i know apparently!!

Oh goody, you're here. (I was secretly hoping you'll respond to this thread. )

GP, I have no idea if he drinks enough. Sometimes I wonder if he's drank at all and how much of the loss of water in the bowl is down to evaporation, how much down to consumption, and how much he should be drinking at all.

Although I was pleased to see him drinking, I got a bit concerned when he drank the bath water because he's got water in his viv so shouldn't have been thirsy.

How do you tell if a snake is dehydrated, please?

Edited by - n/a on 10/10/2009 16:09:13
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  17:13:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
things to watch for dehydration are dark, sunken eyes, possibly with a dent in the occular scale or eye cap and if you gently pinch the skin (difficult to do on a small snake though) the skin should spring back straight away instead of 'tenting' - remaining stood up when it was gently pinched

for your non-feeder Hawk it might be that the Reptoboost is putting him off drinking so every 3rd day it might be an idea to just give him plain water to drink just incase

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  20:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

things to watch for dehydration are dark, sunken eyes, possibly with a dent in the occular scale or eye cap and if you gently pinch the skin (difficult to do on a small snake though) the skin should spring back straight away instead of 'tenting' - remaining stood up when it was gently pinched

for your non-feeder Hawk it might be that the Reptoboost is putting him off drinking so every 3rd day it might be an idea to just give him plain water to drink just incase

Ok, thanks. Checked, he's not dehydrated and thankfully hasn't lost any weight but on the other hand, hasn't gained any either not that I'm surprised considering he's only had two adult tails.

Fingers crossed for next feed, and thanks for advice re water.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  20:57:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no worries hun

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  22:50:58  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Whats a Reptoboost?

As for hydration, shouldn't you be able to tell by the urates and urine? I had to read up on this for my Leo, so shouldn't the same principles apply? Or is this not the case.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  02:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

Whats a Reptoboost?

As for hydration, shouldn't you be able to tell by the urates and urine? I had to read up on this for my Leo, so shouldn't the same principles apply? Or is this not the case.

ReptoBoost:

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=2943&ProductGroupID=1422

(In this case, a non-eater, pretty much the same.)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  21:02:25  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

As for hydration, shouldn't you be able to tell by the urates and urine?

because snakes 'go' so infrequently compared to geckos it's not really an accurate guide

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000