New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  16:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello

I have been thinking about a corn snake for a few years now but haven't been able to work out if I could offer a good home to one.

Anyway, my OH has now said if I want one I can have one so I am currently doing a lot of research to find out more, hopefully with some help

Lisa

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  16:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Lisa

Read the care sheet, it has a lot of excellent data.

Do you know what morph you're after? Are you going to get a hatchling or a grown up snake?

Welcome to the forum and I hope you'll get your snake soon!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  16:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read the care sheet but I have also read a number of website too which have different information on so am a little confused by it all at the moment.

No idea about morph's - still working my way through them and no idea about hatchling or adult either.

Still can't decide on using a RUB or Viv so I have a long way to go!
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  17:00:01  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Feel free to ask as many questions as need be, we are all friendly here and NO question is to silly, better to ask and have answerd as you could be asking something that will benifit another member in time
We do have one very strict rule here and that is once you have a snake and it has settled in we HAVE to have pics!!
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  17:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the site... :)

Don't worry about morphs at the moment, when you go to the petshop/breeder just pick the one that you like the look of the most :)

Personally I would reccomend getting a hatchling as you really want to bond with your first snake and nothing is as satisfying as watching them grow into their bodies and personalities :D

As for RUBs vs. Vivs... i have all vivs as I dont like the lok of RUBs, i've always seen them as a more practical alternative to vivs for when you have a large collection (such as in breeding)

At the end of the day tho this is just my opinion, there are no hard and fast rules... (except making sure you have a thermostat and a digital thermometer as most snake problems are down to an environment that is not appropriately regulated)

Hope that helps :)

P.S. I'd suggest looking at kingsnakes and milksnakes as possible first snake choices as well, but dont let anyone on this site catch me bigging up milks/kings over corns ;)
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  19:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa, how lovely to finally have a snakey neighbour (I'm in Middleton Cheney). I got my baby four weeks ago from a lovely lady in Banbury (Woodgreen area) who had loads of babies for sale. If you're interested I could text her to see if she has any left - much cheaper than the shops!!

Otherwise, if you want a shop you really can't go wrong with Double JJ Aquatics in South Street. They are the best reptile people in the world in my opinion - incredibly friendly and helpful, nothing too much hassle. My daughter and I spend hours there handling all their stock - it's their fault I ended up becoming a snake owner

So far my baby is proving to be incredibly easy to look after - much easier than our Rankins Dragon although bless him, he's sleeping now so he's no hassle for the rest of the winter either. Hope you get a corn - Twilight is soooo wonderful I've already decided to get another one as soon as he's grown out of his current home.

Good luck, Sam

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  20:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa. Welcome to our forum. I know what you mean about looking at other forums and getting conflicting advise. It is what I find so good about this forum. It is very friendly, with lots of experienced owners who are happy to share their advice and support. On a few topics they may have differing opinions, but at the heart of it all that is important is the welfare of their snakes. At least on here you can share your views and get advice and maybe a debate, but it all remains friendly and in the end people understand that they need to agree to disagree. But on the most important points of snake keeping they are all in agreement and one particular forum member is experienced in the health of snakes and can answer questions that many others cannot.
Corns are a great snake to get. We have had our corn for 6months and I cant imagine life without him. We got him as an adult and, to be honest, I think an adult is a good first corn....as long as you have a proven feeder, shedder, etc. Now that I am getting more experienced I would feel happier get a hatchling because I would certainly love to see my snake grow from a shoe-lace to the long thick rope I have now!
Ask anything you want and it will be answered, and as devilsmistress has said, no question is regarded as a silly question!
Dont listen to Jono!! Go for a corn, you have so much choice in the beautiful range of morphs and colours within them and they are such easy snakes to have as a first snake. Corn beats milk and king anyday! xxx

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  20:54:06  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  22:52:13  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya and welcome to the forum.

There are loads of resources on the internet for finding info out, but joining a forum to ask questions as well as general research is one of the best ways to do it.

Have a looky at our care sheet we have on the main page, it's a small page, but concise enough to give you the basics. Plus any questions, feel free to ask.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  22:58:12  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  12:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
feel free to ask any question at all..someone will always answer no matter how daft you think it is

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  23:01:27  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Lisa welcome to the forum, I'm pretty new here as well, I haven't got my hatchling yet but I have got the faunarium setup ready.

Feel free to ask any questions, I can't answer them but feel free to ask anyway, lol.
While doing my research I found some info contradictory as well, but all I did was buy a couple of books about Corns, read them to see what info matched, but there is nothng better than real live hobbyists at your finger tips to probe for advice. This forum has given me some great advice and opinions, some of which I have listened and some I haven't. Ultimately, it's your own experience is the best advice. We've all gotta start somewhere.

Mick

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  13:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcomes.

Sammysnake - if you could let me know the details for the local person I might arrange to visit before I make decision. I need to make sure I am doing the right thing!

I quite like all the bright orange/red snakes which is what I will most likely go with.

Edited by - n/a on 11/10/2009 13:25:35
Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  14:36:49  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums

quote:
Originally posted by RCTLisa
I quite like all the bright orange/red snakes which is what I will most likely go with.

Get an Amel.... you know it makes sense

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

Taz Devil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  15:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Taz Devil's Homepage  Click to see Taz Devil's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bit late but hello and welcome to the forums.

0.1.0 Corn Snake (Sid)

Sids Live WebCam
http://snakecam.tazworld.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  22:55:08  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  17:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa, she only has one Anery baby left. I'll email you her number in case you are interested.

Sam

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000