New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  13:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been noticing a technique over on the dark side for getting non-feeding snakes to eat...
Its called the water starvation technique and it involves depriving the snake of water for 5 days and then offereing a mouse that has been soaked in hot water. Judging by the responses over there it seems to be a supremely sucessful technique...

If anyone has any thoughts on this please post them on this thread...

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  13:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pesonally I think depriving a snake of water when it is potentially already weak and under-nourished is a pretty stupid thing to do. as a responsible pet owner it is your duty to provide your animal with fresh drinking water at all times- failing to do so is a breach of the five "freedoms" and could be seen as cruelty.

whilst it may work, I think too many people will use this technique as the easy option instead of dealing with the root cause of the lack of feeding response, be it housing, temps etc.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  14:05:57  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Id never do this with a hatchling like you say Sexybear, if the snake is already weak, depriving it of water as well is going to cause dyhidration which will only add to the problems. a few of us were talkng about this in Kehhlyrs chat last night.
It may work on an older snake that has previously fed but again id never do this with a hatchling.
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  14:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
btw in case anyone gets the wrong idea, i do not condone this method and have never used it myself, just wanted to get people opinions...
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  14:25:08  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry if it sounded like i was having a moan at you, I really was not, was just stating my opinion. I have read into it alot more and it only seems to work 50% of the time and alot of people are saying not to do it on hatchlings but some still are. I can see how it would work, the snake really thrsty and the pinky dripping in water, the snake is going to go for the water obviously. but if the hatchling is already week, taking away its water cant be a good idea can it?
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  14:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jono2411

btw in case anyone gets the wrong idea, i do not condone this method and have never used it myself, just wanted to get people opinions...

not having a pop at you at all jono, thankyou for starting such an interesting thread!

sure to generate some interesting comments....

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  15:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, no i didnt think either of you came across like that i was just preempting in case any did :P
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  15:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I certainly wouldn't recommend this to new owners (such as myself) because the inexperienced, due to lack of know-how, are more likely to overlook signs that The Experienced would see and know how to act on.

Additionally, never on a hatchling, imo their body mass is simply too slight to withstand this kind of thing.

Also I don't think I could bear causing such prolonged and deliberate distress under such circumstances and for this purpose. There must be other ways to get a snake to feed, and I'd try all of them prior to even considering water starvation, and again, I'd rather someone experienced was supervising it extremely closely.

But are you sure this was recommended or successful with cornsnakes? Or perhaps those who are enthusiastic about it are raising other snakes?

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  16:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the ones ive heard about have been hatchling royals.. as we all know most royals are a nightmare for feeding...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  16:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

the ones ive heard about have been hatchling royals.. as we all know most royals are a nightmare for feeding...

Understood.

Jono, while you're here: did you take an underground train from Hatton Cross to Central London on the night of 30 August 2004? I know it's an odd question, an explanation will be given.

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  17:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that i didn't as i don't ever remember using the station at Hatton Cross, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen, only that i don't remember it if it did... now im intrigued...
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  17:06:26  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think we are all dying to know what hawkeye is on about, Come on Spill the beans!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  17:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well that's disappointing, I was hoping you were that guy

That night I was coming back from Heathrow with the Hawk. It was the one before last train into Central London and the car was empty, but in Hatton Cross a guy came into that car, sat right in front of us and askd the Hawk: "Do you like snakes?" While the Hawk was saying Yes I was busy looking for my keys, in case I needed to punch the weirdo a hard one. But there was no need at all: the guy put his hand in his inside jacket pocket and came out with a cloth bag, out of which came a female cornsnake!

The next half hour was spent playing with her (mainly the Hawk, but I got my turn and she managed to handcuff me, lol) asking the guy all kinds of questions, and the Hawk got to name her because the guy said she had no name.

After about 30 mins we were getting nearer the centre, and the first passenger to come into that car took one look at the snake, turned green and walked all the way to the other end of the car. That meant snakey had to go back into her bag and back into the inside pocket.

To this day I regret not taking the guy's contact details. He's the one I want to say Thank You to for starting us off on our way to snakehood -- that was the event that got us going in the first place. Took five years, but we finally got there. I was hoping it was you, Jono, because I can't find anyone else here who lives in London.

Go to Top of Page

Jono2411
Yearling

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  17:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, thats an awesome story! what a random guy!
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  18:17:36  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've been noticing a technique over on the dark side for getting non-feeding snakes to eat...
Its called the water starvation technique and it involves depriving the snake of water for 5 days and then offereing a mouse that has been soaked in hot water. Judging by the responses over there it seems to be a supremely sucessful technique...

If anyone has any thoughts on this please post them on this thread...

I've tried it once on a long term non feeding hatchling and it didn't work, so haven't tried since.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Karl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
121 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  18:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It does work, I know many people that have done it, I just fail to see the need. Oh, and my Royals (barring a CF female I took in as a non feeder) have always been like dustbins. Correct temps and living conditions should be the first point of call.
I would rather assit feed than remove water.

ooops, I bought another.........
Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  19:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not something we would try, even on an adult. We agree with Sexybear77, wouldn't like to deprive an animal of water...

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  20:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must agree with the general feeling of the forum members....that not only wouldnt I do it, I dont think I could do it. I find it interesting that eejit has tried it and it didnt work, as he is one of 'Those that Know' and I respect his opinion. I am assuming he tried every other feeding method before trying this one.

Very interesting story Hawkeye. Its good you were ok with snakes....can you imagine if you werent and your son saying yes while you are looking down going down your handbag and then when you look up there is this snake looking at you!! (Did that make sense? The brain fog is bad tonight) xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000