Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  22:57:39  Show Profile
No need to get ****y, was just speaking from my personal experience and the experience of many others. Baytril is not a dangerous substance to humans, it has a human counterpart and is only mildly hallucinogenic in massive amounts from what I've read. It's an antibiotic, not ricin. As for checking with the vets - which ones, the 7 I worked with who never wore gloves or the 5 vets I've used since who likewise never have? I don't think there was any need to go all bold and shouty to a new member that was asking for info. I think I'll back away from this board.

KathyM
Keighley, West Yorkshire

Edited by - n/a on 08/10/2009 23:06:22
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  08:04:33  Show Profile
I'm with Kathy on this one, perhaps you've got confused with another drug, Baytril is relatively harmless - it's just an antibiotic, not agent orange lol. I've had many vets over the years and none have told us to use gloves for baytril, it's akin to asking you to suit up for a lemsip.

Lisa and family (human and animal).
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  11:58:14  Show Profile
well I'm with GP, baytril does have toxic effects for humans.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  12:37:06  Show Profile
Check out the stuff you clean your bathroom with, or your deoderant, it's all toxic. Honest to god, Baytril will not cause you any lasting effects if you spill some on your hand or even in your mouth, unless you have 5L of it or something. I've used it for many years. Think about it this way - if it's so toxic, why do they prescribe it to our (much smaller) pets? I've given 3 week old rat kittens baytril, I think if it was that dangerous they'd be dead LOL. Bearing in mind hundreds if not thousands of people use baytril for their pets every day, you think we'd have heard of this before now. Not one person on the many animal forums I've been on has been told to use gloves for baytril. I think either someone's confused it with ivermec or another drug, or the vet is plain wrong. We all know they're very often not always right!

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  13:10:25  Show Profile
baytril is for animals, not humans. why do you think humans dont get prescribed baytril? and bathroom cleaning products only have toxic effects when ingested orally or otherwise. Spilling on the skin may occasionally cause skin irritation but thats about it.

regumate is a fertility med often prescribed to pigs, horses etc, but if humans get it on the skin it can make you infertile. there are major differences between animal meds and human ones.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  13:15:15  Show Profile
Yes - my point is that no other vet recommends this - this drug is not harmful to us. I've spilt endless amounts on me, I've even ingested it accidentally (it can happen lol), no other vet I've used or any of my many rat owning or animal keeping friends and colleagues have used has recommended using gloves with baytril. But someone is prepared to call all those vets and peoples experiences wrong based on something they read in a book. It's just unnecessary drama, and scaremongering. Baytril is not so harmful to us that you need to use gloves. By all means wash your hands if you spill some, but dont presume we need to cover ourselves in rubber to protect ourselves from something that only one person believes is harmful.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  13:39:13  Show Profile
I'll be visiting the vet for more baytril in the next day or so, I'll ask him his opinion.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  14:02:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Care to outline them and show me your sources as I would much appreciate them. After all if I and my 10 year old daughter (who nurses the rats) have been dangerously exposed for the duration of her lifetime and longer, then I'd like to be aware of what damage has been done.

I've sought advice today on this and so far the only person that thinks a small amount of Baytril is dangerous via contact is ginger pony (I didn't abbreviate her name so as not to confuse him/her with a medical professional lol). I have consulted the NOAH compendium website and their warning is generic, I have searched the scientific literature and can find nothing on the subject.

To be honest, my back is up from the manner in which ginger pony expressed themselves, but I am open to learning and I would appreciate the scientific studies that show the contact effects of oral Baytril on humans.

KathyM
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  14:17:58  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by LisaLQ

I think either someone's confused it with ivermec or another drug, or the vet is plain wrong. We all know they're very often not always right!

ok i am NOT confused...... this is my job and i'm good at it!!

i'll take the data sheet home and photograph it and post it........ will that be enough proof for you?? or would you like to go into your local practice and read the box which states that 'impervious gloves should be worn whilst handling this product'??

as a Moderator, experienced herpetologist and current veterinary industry employee i have advised the OP on the best and SAFEST way to something. if you think i'm talking cr@p please take this to email on itsGP@hotmail.com ........

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  14:19:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

thanks SB

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  14:22:19  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:

It's just unnecessary drama, and scaremongering. Baytril is not so harmful to us that you need to use gloves. By all means wash your hands if you spill some, but dont presume we need to cover ourselves in rubber to protect ourselves from something that only one person believes is harmful.

if you'd like to check YOUR facts i'd appreciate that!!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  14:24:05  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:

I'll be visiting the vet for more baytril in the next day or so, I'll ask him his opinion.

oh.... and ask to see the box.... and the product package insert too.... oh and if you're not happy with only reading it twice they'll probably have a NOAH compendium or BSAVA book...........

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  16:29:41  Show Profile
TOPIC LOCKED

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked