Pre Snake Buying Advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  22:36:08  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have already got my pre equipment buying advice from you guys/gals, so thanks for that. I wondered if you could spare some time for more advice on buying the snake. Aplogies for the length of the post, but considering the lifespan of Corns, this will be a big decision.

Some of you may have read that I might get a free Corn round December time. But I may not yet, I'm trying to get hold of photos of the parents to help me decide whether to take one. Or might just get too excited and buy one before then. Now, if I buy one it will be October/November time. But I have a couple of questions if you would please.

SNAKE SIZE -I'm looking to get a Corn that would reach an eventual size or 4-5+ ft, so what sort of Corn should I be looking for. In general, all teh Corn snake books/caresheets just give a size of 3-5ft, I have also read that the more south you go the smaller the snake, so Florida/Florida Keys snakes are roughly 3ft where as snakes from the Carolinas are about 5ft. So, is that really the only guide I can go by? I do realise that breeding of different snakes could affect this and also feeding frequency, but I really wouls like and initial guidance.

WHAT PHASE/MORPH - Initially I was looking at either an Okeetee or a Common/Normal phase, I like the standard Red, Ornage and Black colouration, and preferably an Okeetee as they are supposed to be brighter. I also liked the Fire Amel but I read they are supposed to be problematic feeders, would this be genetic, would I still have this problem from a hatchling? Amoungst others at the loacl RC, they also have a Pewter, from the pics I have seen they look gorgeous, it's about £195 so I think it's an adult.

PRE BUY HEALTH/FEEDING CHECK - I'm aware of the health checks to do when buying, but one thing that concerns me is checking whether the snake is feeding. From the books I have read they recommend to ask to see it befeed before you buy. So, would I best go into the RC, look at one I am interested in, then find out when it's due for ait's next feed and go in to watch it? If it is feeding ok would it be ok to transport it there and then once purchased? I should I still leave it for a couple days to digest? Leaving it for a couple of days concerns me as they might not give me the one I pay for (I am a very untrusting person, lol).

Well that's all for now, again sorry for the long post.

Kind regards
Mick

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  22:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, you have asked some good questions.

Generaly, you can expect a corn to be 4.5ft. Expect all corns to reach this size as you wont be able to buy specific localitys (snakes for a specific area).

Corns are generaly good feeders so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Some morphs of almost every species are said to have feeding problems because there is a small gene pool for breeding them and therefore undesirbale traits may be passed on.

Again, corns feeding isnt much of a problem though a good shop will let you watch if you ask. If it does feed, and you happy with the snake, leave it at the shop for 2 days or so then pick it up. If you woried it wont be the same snake, ask to take a photo of it, you dont have to say its 'cos you dont trust 'em.

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  22:47:17  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
One thing I forgot to mention is about ordering online, while my local RC has a wide variety of Corns ranging from £40 - £300, I have spotted a couple of nice ones online, but I'm abit concerned about ordering livestock via a website, you can't check the health and you can't directly choose the specimen you want? The website was 888 Reptiles, but their pics are blurred. But they do have someMorphs I am interested in for good prices.

Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  22:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I havnt ordered livestock from them, but a few have. They do have a shop aswell, but I cant remember where it is.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  22:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this isnt an answer to any of your questions but it is good to try and get a 'snake diary' of whatever snake you buy - documenting date of birth, shedding history, feeding history, weight, health issues etc.
So glad someone is doing so much research into getting their snake before getting it, well done. Look forward to welcoming your new snake when you get it - sooner or later!! xxx

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  23:54:15  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Hi, you have asked some good questions.

Generaly, you can expect a corn to be 4.5ft. Expect all corns to reach this size as you wont be able to buy specific localitys (snakes for a specific area).

Corns are generaly good feeders so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Some morphs of almost every species are said to have feeding problems because there is a small gene pool for breeding them and therefore undesirbale traits may be passed on.

Again, corns feeding isnt much of a problem though a good shop will let you watch if you ask. If it does feed, and you happy with the snake, leave it at the shop for 2 days or so then pick it up. If you woried it wont be the same snake, ask to take a photo of it, you dont have to say its 'cos you dont trust 'em.

Thanks Matty, that males the decision making a little simpler, basically I should choose a nice morph and go for it. Well my fave colour is red so that Fire Amel or a Blood Red is getting more appealing now, but then the darker side of me likes black, so a Silver Phase or Anerythristicare have nice colouration.
888 are based in Dventry and is 13 miles away from where I live, about 30 mins drive, unfortunately I am currently cycling and I don't think a snake would appreciate the ride home, lol.

KELLOG - I'm already setting up a spreadsheet for all the relevant info, that should be ok for starters, from other sources I have read about some software that is specifically aimed at snake keeping but can also be adapted to keeping other herps.
Going alittle off topic, to me, research in my opinion an essential part of creature keeping. It took me over 6 months just to decide to get my first pet, then 7months including the first 6 to get my tropical fish, then another 6 months for my Gecko. I have seen so many people come onto forums saying I got this from so and so but I don't know what it is or how to look after it. I mean ultimately it is self experience that dictates how you look after them, but initial research defo gives you a head start. I got a Cali King when I was about 17 (many moons ago) and I was so ill prepared for it, I mean I got this small book at the same time as the snake and at the same time as the equipment. Talk about jumping in at teh deep end. I didn't think about testing the equipment first, I didn't think about what happens when it gets older or anything. I ended up giving to a friend who already had all the equipment.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  06:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like matty has said all corns generally reach 4.5ft, occassionally one or two grow larger - i know a guy from work who has a corn thats just over 6ft..!

Dont assume that expensive price means adult..pewters are stunning but I dont think they are massively common in shops yet - i paid nearly £500 out on two of my babies and they are hatchlings..some morphs are just more expensive because they arent widely available yet..

Morph and feeding I personally dont think are linked.. I have a problem feeder and I know that its because she was the biggest of the clutch and isnt hungry yet.. It's not related to her colouring..

any good shop will let you watch them feed - not only do you get to see them feed and make sure they can do it but also you see how to feed them

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  08:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

Thanks Matty, that makes the decision making a little simpler, basically I should choose a nice morph and go for it.

Yep, pretty much.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000