So what do you guys think ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paul Hume
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  00:12:54  Show Profile  Visit Paul Hume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I had to create a website for a job application so thought I would do one all about Tiny!

just wanted to get your opinions as fellow snake lovers.

www.brain-ache.co.uk

Just to add this is a purley personal site with no ads or trying to rival the wonders of the Corn Snake.co.uk just thought I would share my snake with the world.

Our House:
2 x Carolina Corns
1 x Snow Corn
1 x Amel Corn
1 x Royal Python

n/a
deleted

161 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  00:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
your page is very good wd love the pics of tiny

1.0.0 miami clyde
0.1.0 miami bonnie
1.0.0 ghost casper
0.1.0 carolina sneaky
1.0.0 anery runt
0.1.0 anery spot
0.1.0 amel amy
1.0.0 no name ghost motley stripe
1.0.0 bloodred het lavender stripe on its way :)
0.1.0 reverse oketee on its way :)
1 husband
4 kids
new puppy shih apso on the way

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  04:03:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great website. Only one comment - need to check your spelling and grammer in a few places (but then I am a bit picky about that sort of thing!) xxx

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  17:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really hope you wont take offense at this- but I thought seeing as its a job application thingy it might help! Spelling and punctuation-

Welcome to my website; I have recently bought my first Corn snake- Tiny. She is now just over 2 months old and I thought I would share my experiences with YOU as she grows. Well, I say she's a she but I dont actually know yet, it's one of the reasons I decided ON Tiny for a name because it would be okay for a male or female snake.

Before buying my first snake I carried out aLOt of research on SNAKES by going to my local reptile shop and speaking to staff, THOUGH probably the most helpfuL WAY was looking around on the web. You will find some very usefuL links in my Links section of this site to various websiteS that I found extremly helpful while researching Corn snakes.

Tiny is a Carolina Corn Snake. She was about 30cm long when I brought her home and will grow to an estimated 5ft.

Really like the website, the colour scheme is great because it is just like the colours of a Caro!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  18:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice website, looks good
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  21:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am going to follow SBs example and put forward my suggestions - only to help!!!

Welcome to my website. I have recently bought my first Corn Snake, Tiny. She is now just over 2 months old and I thought I would share my experiences with you as she grows. Well, I say she's a she but I don't actually know yet, it's one of the reasons I decided on Tiny for a name because it would be okay for a male or female snake.

Before buying my first snake I carried out a lot of research on snakes (was it all snakes you researched or just corns...be specific) by going to my local reptile shop and speaking to staff, though probably the most helpful research was looking around on the web. You will find some very usefull links in my Links section of this site to various websites that I found extremely helpful whilst researching Corn Snakes.

Tiny is a Carolina Corn Snake. She was about 30cm long when I brought her home and will grow to an estimated 5ft.

Welcome to the gallery. At the end of each month I will post up all the photos taken through that month. No doubt they will get less and less as the years go on but I thought it would be nice to see how she grows and changes. I hope you enjoy the pictures!

Welcome to Tiny's Diary. Here I will put all of the things that happen in the life of Tiny. Everything from when she feeds and what she eats to when she upgrades in to a bigger tank.

Date Notes
06 Oct 2009 SHED: Today she started to move around the faun again, a lot more back to her old self. I went out to pick the kids up from school and when I got back found the shedded skin! It was all in one piece, which was good.(explain about importance of checking eyes and tail) Pictures will go in the October gallery at the end of the month.
04 Oct 2009 Still no activity from her and now her eyes are back to normal and her skin seems to be normal too, but no sign of any shed skin ???
02 Oct 2009 Her eyes have gone cloudy and blue, so she should be shedding soon.
30 Sept 2009 Still no activity since the other day but she did eat today so can't be all bad.
28 Sept 2009 She has been very quiet today, not the active snake she usually is.
24 Sept 2009 I went on eBay today and ordered a set of electronic scales.(explain importance of weighing) The downside is they won't be here for about a month as they are coming from Japan.
23 Sept 2009 Fed her the usual 1 pinkie today. Unlike her usual self she was very active, normally she just hides for a couple of days but this time she was really active, all over the tank?? very odd.
10 Sept 2009 At the end of her first week and it is time to handle her for the first time (explain about why you leave for a week) She was pretty calm considering it was the first time I had held her and all is well. Fed her for the first time too and again no problems. I'm impressed how smooth it's all gone.
03 Sept 09 Bought Tiny and got her home. Set up her Faun and put her in.

Link Description

TheCornSnake.co.uk This site is a fantastic place to find everything you want to know about Corn Snakes. They also run the Corn Snake Forum where you will find lots of friendly experienced owners just waiting to answer any questions you might have, and further more this wealth of knowledge and expertise if absolutly FREE !!
IansVivarium.com Corn Snakes come in lots of different colours and patterns called "Morphs". This site is fantastic for looking at all the different morphs that are available and what they look like as hatchlings and adults. A great site for just looking at fantastic snakes.
Snake Bytes TV This is a link to Snake Bytes TV which hosts a channel on YouTube. They are a snake breeding company in America but they have some awesome snakes and make some good videos.

Unfortunately I am not as bright as SB so haven't highlighted the parts I have altered - sorry. I hope it helps because you have set up a great website and if it helps with getting a job you want to get it exactly right. xxx

Go to Top of Page

Paul Hume
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  23:13:47  Show Profile  Visit Paul Hume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I dont take offense to any of it, any critisism is welcome and I will jump on fixing the errors asap. I appreciate all your comments, thank you.

Our House:
2 x Carolina Corns
1 x Snow Corn
1 x Amel Corn
1 x Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

Paul Hume
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  00:04:16  Show Profile  Visit Paul Hume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Again, thank you for all your help, I have now put your sugestions in to action and changed the site. Any more comments would be greatly apreciated.

Paul

Our House:
2 x Carolina Corns
1 x Snow Corn
1 x Amel Corn
1 x Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  03:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not being critical but -

Current Length: 31cm (shed) (maybe need to explain difference between shed length and length of snake)

Welcome to my website.

Well, I say she's a she but I don't

though probably the most helpfull helpful

You will find some very usefull useful

Welcome to the gallery. At the

Welcome to Tiny's Diary. Here

a lot more like her usual self

It was all in

come off in the shed. This can cause an infection

Pics Pictures (use full words rather than abbreviations)

so it cant be all bad.(explain post feeding behaviour)

The downside is they won't be (weighing also indicates any health problems if there is a weight loss)

pinkie today. Unlike

she was very active, normally she just

Now we are at

it's time to handle her (for the first time)!delete

I'm impressed with how smooth it's all gone.

This site is very good for looking at (you seem to like the word fantastic!!)

just looking at fantastic snakes.

some awesome snakes

You did ask for more comments Paul!! xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 07/10/2009 03:57:51
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  09:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks much better!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  18:23:55  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looks good, i like the links page!

what job is it for?

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Paul Hume
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  21:45:43  Show Profile  Visit Paul Hume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its for a web developer, the description said I had to have a good knowledge of HTML Code so I figured a good way of showing that is making a website. They will be looking at the build rather than gramma but i agree it doesn't look good if it's rubbish.

Our House:
2 x Carolina Corns
1 x Snow Corn
1 x Amel Corn
1 x Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  03:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think you have done a great job Paul, well done. xxx

Go to Top of Page

Taz Devil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  09:45:37  Show Profile  Visit Taz Devil's Homepage  Click to see Taz Devil's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, can I add my 2p worth. I would try and avoid using frames. It's one of the big no no's of site development due to the bad press they have gained over the years through various exploits.

Also a few more reasons to avoid frames are:-

If you changes more than one frame when a link is clicked, users who press their browser's Back button will not return to the previous page, but instead will only change the most recent frame replaced

Users cannot bookmark a specific collection of pages that make up the page displayed. If a user attempts to bookmark a page and later returns to that bookmarked page, they will no doubt be surprised to find that the default pages of the frameset are displayed instead of the pages they actually wanted to see.

Recent versions of Internet Explorer on the Windows platform can bookmark a specific collection of pages in a frameset. Given the number of people who use other browsers that may still leave a lot of users out. There is also a limitation that even those IE users can only bookmark one set of pages at a specific site. If they attempt to bookmark a second set of pages, it will overwrite the first.

Search engines find the html pages that make up the frameset and not the frameset itself, so pages get presented without the navigation and/or page header.

Users who press the Refresh, or Reload button may see an entirely different set of pages than the one they were viewing.

Users attempting to print the displayed page will normally print only the active frame, not the entire frameset. In other words, they may only print the navigation links instead of the page they see.

Keys pressed by the user, including the up and down arrow keys and the PageUp and PageDown keys are applied only to the active frame, which may not be the frame they wanted to scroll.

One of the most important traffic generators for most sites is user referrals. A user sees a site and mentions it, or e-mails a link to a friend. When following the URL, the friend may see a completely different set of pages than what they were supposedly referred to.

Popup menus cannot cross frame boundaries. They must be displayed entirely within a single frame. Thus, either the navigation frame must be enlarged enough to contain the menu, or the code for the menu must exist in every page that uses it.

Due to the wide range of screen resolutions a site that looks good to you may have scroll bars pop up when and where you least expect them. Either that, or a frame has scroll bars turned off and the user cannot access the full content because part of it is off screen and has no scroll bar.

Trying to align the content of adjoining frames simply cannot be done in any reliable, cross-browser way.

Hope this is of use. I'm not a professional designer, but I have fiddled with web sites for about 15 years now and have picked up a few good snippets of info. I have stuck to the no frame design for about 6 years now, (although my www.tazworld.co.uk web site uses frames, I am too idle to re do it as it only gets a few visitors a week, it's mainly for storage nowadays).

0.1.0 Corn Snake (Sid)

Sids Live WebCam
http://snakecam.tazworld.co.uk

Edited by - Taz Devil on 08/10/2009 10:29:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000