Housing for yearlings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  11:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - I was wondering if anyone can give me any inspiration on housing our two new yearling cornsnakes. They are currently in shoebox sized tubs (that they came with on loan) but are 2ft long roughly and the previous owner suggested moving them to 9L RUBs? I am going into town soon to check out the tubs at what used to be Poundstretchers (Instore?), but is there anything in particular I should look out for? Pics of others' setups would be fantastic too.

Thanks

Kathy

KathyM
Keighley, West Yorkshire

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  12:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you could get 9L RUBs or I think you could go slightly bigger but max it out with hides and substrate..
whichever you do choose make sure it has a lockable lid - clicking handles are good
also make sure theres a way for you to put extra airholes and ventilation holes in and possibly you may need to put some holes in for the wires for the heat mat but i personally would put it underneath

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Mnementh
Yearling

United Kingdom
537 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  12:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heya , at 2ft I would go with 18 litres , my 5-6 month old is in a 9 litre and tbh they are not that big , 3 of my yearling to 14 month old corns are each in an 18 litre rub which is quite a nice size . I would definitely go for 18 litre . I think you will be glad you did once you put in hides , water bowl etc etc , 9 litre is a very tight squeeze for a yearling + equipment .

One last jump , that's all we have to take Holth .
Wearily the old queen gathered heself to spring ;
Moreta gratefully began her litany .
Black , blacker , blackest -
They went between .
Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  12:34:43  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
RUBs are ok, easy to clean and cheap. I would try and enclose the side of the rub off as to make the snake more comfortable. You can use either a foam rock style background or just paper.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  14:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all ever so much for your advice. I nipped into town but couldn't find any alternatives to RUBs with secure enough lids. I think I'll go for the RUBs like you've suggested. Someone on another forum suggested getting a 50L and putting plenty of hides in so as to avoid having to keep upgrading - I wondered what your thoughts are on this honestly as I want to get everything just right. :)

KathyM
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Go to Top of Page

Mnementh
Yearling

United Kingdom
537 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  15:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 50 ltr sitting here and tbh it is on the large size for a yearling corn . Some people would go straight to 50 ltr and put plenty of hides / plants in etc but personally would prefer to move them up when they are larger , I would put an adult in a 50 ltr .

I think for now 18 litre would do , the 35 litre is the same footprint but higher sides So you could try that if you like .

Staples / Rymans etc sell the rubs "Really Useful Boxes" .

One last jump , that's all we have to take Holth .
Wearily the old queen gathered heself to spring ;
Moreta gratefully began her litany .
Black , blacker , blackest -
They went between .
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  16:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ever so much, I figured the 50L looked a bit big and on reflection given the female is nervous I don't think it would be wise just yet. If anyone knows of a decent supplier of 18L RUBs with quick delivery, that would be much appreciated. I can get to Leeds to get them if anyone there stocks them there too.

KathyM
Keighley, West Yorkshire

Edited by - n/a on 05/10/2009 16:21:27
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

161 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  17:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
staples the stationary shop is a good place to buy them not sure if its still called staples though think they had a name change last year they got all different sizes and a very good price all coming in at under 15 quid and the best bit they have snap shut secure lids and are stackable so saves space too

1.0.0 miami clyde
0.1.0 miami bonnie
1.0.0 ghost casper
0.1.0 carolina sneaky
1.0.0 anery runt
0.1.0 anery spot
0.1.0 amel amy
1.0.0 no name ghost motley stripe
1.0.0 bloodred het lavender stripe on its way :)
0.1.0 reverse oketee on its way :)
1 husband
4 kids
new puppy shih apso on the way

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  17:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ever so much - managed to get some for £8.49 each on ebay, whoo! Very excited.

KathyM
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000