Shedding question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  00:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys thats Steve showing signs of shedding (his first with me) just wondering how long the shedding stage takes. He looks v dark and dull and his eyes have turned a kinda blue and starting to fade away now, just wondering how long till he sheds! Also so long the whole process takes from the dulling to the shedding lol. Thanks peeps

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  01:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snakes generally go dull/blue for about 3 days then they clear and about 2 - 3 days later they will shed. So about a week in total, although every snake will be slightly different.
Go to Top of Page

misstwinkle
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  01:07:59  Show Profile  Click to see misstwinkle's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my oscar shed for the first time since id had him afew weeks ago, he turned very pale on the sunday and stayed like that until the thursday, then he went back to normal and on the sunday he shed:)

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  01:08:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
once his eyes have cleared up he will probably shed within the next 5-8 days..maybe sooner maybe later.. also he will probably not want to feed during this time as his skin will be pretty tight but theres no harm in offering some

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  01:09:59  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The whole process can vary with each snake.

Average from blue-eye to clear-eye = 3-4 days
from clear-eye to actual shedding = 2-3 days

Some do it quicker, others longer.

Nearly all snakes will clear up again after going dull, this is probably the best time to provide a moss box, or move the water bowl onto the heatmat. Just to give the snake a tiny bit more dampness to help with the shedding process.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  02:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the feedback guys! looks like he should be shedding soon then :) kinda excited lol. Ill move his dog bowl up the warm end of the viv to give him a hand. thanks again for feedback will post again after he sheds.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  03:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do a mist spray once a day when I find he has gone into blue....in the morning and just a bit to up the humidity in the viv. Seems to help as have never had a bad shed (except for the mites shed). xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  22:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another quick question. Just finished his shelf for his viv in my room. Am i best to leave him where he is until he sheds? then move him to his he spot? will be the same viv and exact same layout, just means i gotta handle him and take him out to lug his viv upstairs.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  02:05:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there is no rush to move him then I would think it would be better to leave him til he has shed. I dont know if it will bother him or not but its just not worth the risk of stressing him at shedding time. xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  03:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh thats what i was thinking, theres no rush just wanted a second opinion. hes taking his sweet ass time shedding btw....im all excited cause its his first shed with me but so far nothing lol
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  03:54:27  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's nearly guaranteed that they will do it in the 5 mins you walk away to boil the kettle.
They have the ability to know when you're not watching and that's when they'll do it. In the mean time you'll be kept on your toes.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  10:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are lucky, have seen all of Kellog's sheds since we got him. Maybe they are more timid about shedding in public when they are younger?? xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  20:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well steve is around 3 now! i think its partly his situation right now. He is in the kitchen which is a very busy room in all houses! Kinda why i wanted him upstairs ASAP so he can have some peace!
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  06:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id leave him until he has shed before moving him.. in the meantime maybe put a blanket or something over the viv so its not so loud and busy for him

Iv noticed that mont generally takes about 5-6 days from his eyes clearing up to shedding but my little Liberty doesnt waste any time - her eyes went blue on the wednesday and on saturday she had shed..speedy! im thinking she didnt want to miss out on a feed haha

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  12:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had thought about putting a bed sheet over his viv to give him some peace from the busy location! might try it out, the sooner he is upstairs the better. He better shed soon cause he is fed on friday, dont want him missing 2 feeds
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  03:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He can cope, would be better to get him shed, then moved and fed I would have thought, so he can relax in a less stressful environment on a full belly. xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  19:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey guys soz for the late reply! Steve shed fine and very quickly too. I noticed he had been active so i watched him almost all day, turned away to make a pot noddle and yes....turned back and he had shed. Was a good pot noodle so was worth it tho :P
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2009 :  23:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news about Steve. So now you can move him and let him settle into his new spot in your room. Not suprised you missed the shed - he was probably waiting for you to leave the room and then quickly slipped out of his old skin before you came back! xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000