feeding..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  00:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do i need to move my snake from its viv for feeding? all ive been doing is putting the small mouse into its feeding dish and he picks up on the scent and scrans it, plus he never gets any of the aspen stuff in or around his mouth,also shud i wiggle the mouse? see if he does the whole epic steathy snake constrictor thing even tho there daft for doing that when the mouse is already dead haha crazy snakes

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  00:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there is no chance of the substrate getting onto the mouse then feeding in the viv is ok... BUT, just understand that the snake may associate anything entering the viv with food.

I personally feed my snakes in a RUB well away from their viv so there is no viv/food association.

As for wiggling the food, that is really up to you, not all snakes will strike and constrict... no matter how much the prey is wiggled.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  00:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers pal, he's never went for me when ive put the food bowl into the viv like so im sure he's cushty!
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  00:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can feed in the viv but id put a piece of kitchen towel or something down underneath it thats big enough to accommodate for snakey moving about whilst eating..just to make extra sure that no substrate can be ingested..
you can wiggle the mouse.. I do for my 3 and I eventually convinced my oldest Mont to strike and constrict which is fascinating to watch , the other two strike automatically even though they are much younger and constrict aswell..

personally i feed all of mine outside of their fauns simply because I like to see them constrict and eat it...unless I'm in a hurry in which case i put a piece of kitchen towel down on the substrate and then put the pinkie on it

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  01:23:13  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As said above, I generally feed mine outside the vivarium. Except Zero who is a bit jumpy at the moment so I feed him on a large piece of kitchen towel so no aspen is anywhere near him while he does his killer death roll while constricting.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000