when setting up a rub.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2009 :  12:30:13  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi just wanted to ask when you set up a rub do you block the gap in the lid? or do you just leave it. if you do block it what do you block it with??

thanks

2 male corns (Bilbo and roger)
1 female corn (lizzie)
2 dogs westies (jock & morag)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2009 :  13:17:21  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can you post a pic of it so that we can see what you mean?

Go to Top of Page

Mnementh
Yearling

United Kingdom
537 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2009 :  17:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't block any of mine except for the hatchling in a 5 litre rub , I hear they can get through the gap so I cut some very thick card , think it was from an acrylic paint pad . Drew around the rub so it was a perfect fit , no way can it get out now :)

For older snakes , no way can they get out of that gap .

One last jump , that's all we have to take Holth .
Wearily the old queen gathered heself to spring ;
Moreta gratefully began her litany .
Black , blacker , blackest -
They went between .
Go to Top of Page

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2009 :  01:49:28  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have a 19 litre rub and was going to use that for the hatchling that i am hopping to pick up soon will i still need to block the hole do you think.. i dont want to have it go missing like bilbo did but blbo was in a wooden viv and not a rub.

1 female corn (lizzie)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2009 :  03:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kept my hatchling in a sandwich box until he as large enough to not be able to escape the viv

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2009 :  07:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just wondering what a rub is? I understand it must be some sort of Snake tank, but i have never seen one. Also where do you buy them from, and is rub its proper name.
Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2009 :  08:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan2

I'm just wondering what a rub is? I understand it must be some sort of Snake tank, but i have never seen one. Also where do you buy them from, and is rub its proper name.

Please excuse the techno-babble an RUB is Really Usefull Box, basically any tupperware or plastic crate than can be adapted for 1001 uses, viv, feeding box, storage etc. Basically there is no point in shelling out tons on fancy Faunariums for growing babies who won't be in them for more than a few months at a time.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

Mnementh
Yearling

United Kingdom
537 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2009 :  12:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo

i have a 19 litre rub and was going to use that for the hatchling that i am hopping to pick up soon will i still need to block the hole do you think.. i dont want to have it go missing like bilbo did but blbo was in a wooden viv and not a rub.

Are you using a proper rub , the one that says "Really useful box" on the end , with blue handles , if yes then the hatchlings have been known to get out of that tiny gap where the lid meets the base , hence the card , I have some snakes in 18 litres but are larger snakes so no chance they can get out . The 18 litres have a bigger footprint .
The 19 litres are smaller footprint but higher sides yeah ?
Like I say if it's a proper rub then chances are it could get out , from what I have read ,if you are using any other type , I don't know .

They went between .
Go to Top of Page

Mnementh
Yearling

United Kingdom
537 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2009 :  12:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan2

The main rub's are "Really Useful Boxes " from staples etc ,they also have the name embossed on the end but people use any type of plastic box you can clip down , be sure to drill airholes both ends though . Here is a link of different sizes .

http://www.discountofficeproducts.co.uk/search.php?mode=search&page=1&by_title=Y&by_shortdescr=Y&by_fulldescr=Y&including=all&substring=really+useful

They went between .
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2009 :  14:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks... Tizzy & Mnementh, I have seen these containers in the likes of Staples and other shops, but never gave it a thought to use one for a pet home, what a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2009 :  21:59:51  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it is a Really Useful Box from staples i will try the card thing out and i have the holes driled both ends as well. they are very good i have about 6 of them the 19ltr witch i am setting up a 35ltr for when the snake gets abit bigger then a 50ltr as well i also got 3 3ltr for feeding and keeping bits in.

1 female corn (lizzie)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: