Thermostat an absolute must!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

24 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  08:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only had Rocky for about 2 weeks, the pet shop owner told me I didnt need a thermostat, but I kept reading on this forum that I needed one, I noticed the snake would never go to the warm end of the tank and thought it was strange, so placed a thermometer on the heat mat and it rocketed of the scale, I have since bought a habistat and Rocky is now using all his viv.

Be wary of pet shop owners trying to keep the price of viv set-ups down by telling you no stat is required, just so they can shift more snakes, vivs etc.

0.0.1 Rocky (Corn)

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  10:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I was told I didn't need one, but I'm convinced the heat isn't right and I'm going down tonight to get one + red bulb and guard (thanks to matty for the advice). I'm abit unsure how the stat works but, just hope I buy the right thing :P
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  12:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what a lucky escape. we had a member on here who unfortunately wouldnt listen the advice on here and WOULD NOT buy a stat. well done for buying one.

out of interest, how high was the reading? it may serve to convince others...

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  13:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same when i bought my first corn, was told a stat wasn`t needed. The heat mat got too 112f so i put it on a timer until i got a stat. Most pet shops are only interested in money and often give bad advise.
Go to Top of Page

inkiepixie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
445 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  15:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The chap we got Bella from didn't use a stat; her heatmat was bloody boiling and how she managed not to burn herself I don't know - it was just sat in the viv with her with a tiny amount of substrate

0.0.1 classic: Bellatrix
0.1.0 anery (het amel): Luna
1.0.0 hypo lavender (het amel ph stripe): Orion
1.1.0 kittycats: George and Pixie
1.0.0 hound: Shadow
1.0.0 husband: Louis

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  15:42:48  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a good shop will insist that you have the right equipment and enough knowledge of what you are buying.......... and may even refuse to sell you a snake at that point!

unfortunately a lot of shops are just after a quick sale, want to make a snake and kit look affordable, so they can shift more [;(]

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  16:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

I look after a king that was kept on an unstatted heat mat in a plastic viv. The surface temp was 55*C, I couldnt keep my hand on it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  18:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I look after a king that was kept on an unstatted heat mat in a plastic viv. The surface temp was 55*C, I couldnt keep my hand on it.

How did that snake survive?!?

Is it doing alright now, Matty?
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  18:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fortunatly it was a 4ft viv and not a little faun, but it only had a hide on the hot end so was often lying on the mat.

Its doing fine now. Its a king, so there was never any worry of it not eating.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2009 :  21:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its seems to depend on where you go to get your set-up. I've found if you go to the larger places they seem to be more motivated by profit and their advice is shocking. Smaller places need to rely more on repeat business and building up a loyal clientele so seem to be better.

We have a small local reptile shop and the chap there sold us a "beginners" set up when we got Bubbles which included a stat. He didn't claim to know a lot about snakes so insisted we did our own research before he would let us bring the snake home. He also made us set the viv up and go back for the snake a week later. We've always appreciated his advice but he's also honest if he doesn't know the answer! He's a great bloke and we always go back to him for our mice and any bits and pieces we need.
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2009 :  17:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried various stats and have found the best is the more expensive Microclimate B1ME. It has a better heat control, as in the setting on the box is almost the same as the thermometer reads.

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2009 :  02:14:01  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I bought a Habistat Mat Stat for my Leopard gecko and I'm not impressed with it, it's off by about 10c, so when I get my Corn I'll be getting a Microclimate one.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

24 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2009 :  09:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

what a lucky escape. we had a member on here who unfortunately wouldnt listen the advice on here and WOULD NOT buy a stat. well done for buying one.

The theromometer only went up to 40 c and it went past that, so I dont know but it wasn't right, now the stat is on Rocky is using all parts of his viv, so he is deffinantly a more happy snake

0.0.1 Rocky (Corn)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000