How to make cheap hides by Mnementh
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2009 :  10:10:22  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heya , just been to "Wilkinsons" store , any garden type store will do and bought some half trays for seedlings etc , not the thin tear apart type but the nice plastic ones . I paid I believe 49p each for black , green ones were 39p . The size for these are 22cm x 16cm x 5cm high .

Was I thinking .

a) Oooh , I wonder what seeds I can find for these ?

or

b)Man that looks like it would be a great snake hide out .

If your answer was a) , then please look on the gardeners world site .

if b), read on :)

Okay first image is all the equipment .

I used a white pencil
Hacksaw
Stanley knife
File

Second pic is doorway marked out for snakey , I used a white gel pen here to make it show more .

Then proceeded to hacksaw , depending on the size you probably wont even have to use a stanley knife . Finished item with door area filed nice and smooth .

Please do not use the stanley knife if you are not that confident , a hacksaw will do just fine , any young uns wish to try this , please get parents permission , or better still , get your parents to do it , it's like a 30 second job .

These caves at this size cost somewhere in the region of £10 , I'm sure you will agree 49p is nothing .

Thanks for reading and go buy some cheap hides .

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2009 :  10:11:29  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ceramic plant pots can also be used this way too

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  22:37:31  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Heya , just been to "Wilkinsons" store , any garden type store will do and bought some half trays for seedlings etc , not the thin tear apart type but the nice plastic ones . I paid I believe 49p each for black , green ones were 39p . The size for these are 22cm x 16cm x 5cm high .

Was I thinking .

a) Oooh , I wonder what seeds I can find for these ?

or

b)Man that looks like it would be a great snake hide out .

If your answer was a) , then please look on the gardeners world site .

if b), read on :)

Okay first image is all the equipment .

I used a white pencil
Hacksaw
Stanley knife
File

Second pic is doorway marked out for snakey , I used a white gel pen here to make it show more .

Then proceeded to hacksaw , depending on the size you probably wont even have to use a stanley knife . Finished item with door area filed nice and smooth .

Please do not use the stanley knife if you are not that confident , a hacksaw will do just fine , any young uns wish to try this , please get parents permission , or better still , get your parents to do it , it's like a 30 second job .

These caves at this size cost somewhere in the region of £10 , I'm sure you will agree 49p is nothing .

Thanks for reading and go buy some cheap hides .

Isn't that a little big for a cornsnake ? But it would be perfect for a royal python

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Mnementh
Yearling

United Kingdom
537 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  10:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You must have very small corns , my 2 year olds fit nicely in there , those hides will be to small when they reach adult . You did read the size yeah ?

One last jump , that's all we have to take Holth .
Wearily the old queen gathered heself to spring ;
Moreta gratefully began her litany .
Black , blacker , blackest -
They went between .
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

75 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  12:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kinda copied this, but using the cardboard box off my habistat, I cut it down so it wasn't too tall for teh faunarium, and then cut an arch in it, and ta daaaaa a small hatchling hide :)
looks cute as it has a pic of a snake on hahaha
xx
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  13:12:36  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mnementh

You must have very small corns , my 2 year olds fit nicely in there , those hides will be to small when they reach adult . You did read the size yeah ?

I dunno actually, I have a standard kids lunchbox which measure 8x7x4 inches. I originally had it in my Viv as a nest box, yet it's prefered by all of my snakes.
On more than 1 occasion I have had all 3 snakes inside it, that's approx 13ft in length of snakes inside it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  15:17:25  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is there not a thread to make a hide out of wood ?

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  19:27:27  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm definetly not posh on this one, I use empty bog roll tubes and cornflakes boxes

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  18:02:05  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry to bump the topic again but I have to say thanks for the idea! I normally use shoe boxes and cut a hole like you did in the seedtray. However, once they poop on the boxes I have to chuck them but with a seed tray I can wash it! I feel so stupid now for not thinking about this before. I'm off to Wilkos this week or next now XD

My snake's love this!
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/all-weather-bunny-warren-tunnel-by-snugglesafe-15888
I can't find the exact one but mine is smaller and mine only cost like £1 and I think I got it from glyn webb.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  01:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have cut the top from an egg box and made a little enterance for it , kodi seems to love it :)

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  14:09:27  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im using toilet roll tubes too :) heehee.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  17:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kitchen roll tubes are a favourite with mine but devil of a job to get them out if they don't want to. The container from a microwave spondge pudding also works well and alot of the containers are black so even better.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

MightyMouse
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  15:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive upturned a ceramic plant pot an cut a hole in the side so it has the origional 'vent' hole in the upturned base so it wouldnt act like an oven. Snakey seems to love it wont sleep anywhere else now.

id like to enlarge the 'vent' hole but it took me so long to cut out the door way and almost broke my dremel cutting through it, does anyone know of an easier way to cut through em??

Go to Top of Page

kobylka
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  08:50:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The snake with no name's favourite is the lid off a plastic jug!!! im not posh either!!!

[/URL]
Go to Top of Page

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  21:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I don't work in a pet shop any more there are all sorts of cheap methods to keep my "children" happy :)

Three corns, a dog, a cat, 2 kids and a future husband, Yes its a MAD HOUSE in leicester area.
Go to Top of Page

aboynton
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  21:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it safe to put any kinds of boxes/tubes in the viv for my corn snake to play in? One pet store told me that they could hold germs and things that may be halmful-but having read your posts i think they are just trying to sucker me into buying their expensive hides and moulds...so toilet rolls, cereal boxes, shoe boxes are all okay??? uww whhat about wrapping paper tubes..we'll have lots of those with christmas approaching.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  12:30:37  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yup, anything like that is all good.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

c00ki3z
Hatchling

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  00:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I make hides with used tissue boxes and kitchen roll tubes (and kitchen foil) using these in my RUBs just till my corns are big enough for proper vivs. :) Keeps it cheap.

1.0 Fire Corn Snake (Solaire)
1.0 Carolina Corn Snake (Amber)
1.0 G.Rosea (Hailey)
0.1 G.pulchra (Ebony)
0.1 Cat (Brea)
0.1 Dog (Mini Schnauzer (Rosie))
Wishlist: MBK, Avalanche Corn

Edited by - c00ki3z on 12/01/2012 00:15:18
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  14:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The container from a microwave spondge pudding also works well and alot of the containers are black so even better.

Ohh ohh ohhh, I MUST go and buy some mini puddings then so I can make these, I'll just have to force myself to eat the fillings... I reckon Corno will need a couple fresh every day week in case they get dirty.....

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  18:30:31  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by smart bunny

The container from a microwave spondge pudding also works well and alot of the containers are black so even better.

I got a few of them... she'd appreciate that :) might have to do some snipping later :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000