bloated snake!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  22:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi - I bought a baby cornsnake a couple of months ago for my little boy. it has been feeding well on pinkies, but last week it regurgitated after 36 hours...then seemed to have an air pocket in its belly...it looked like it had the pinkie inside, but obviously it wasn't! the lump felt empty, like it was full of air...any ideas?

separate point - it seems to be permanently in the strike position and strikes constantly if a hand is put into the vivarium; has done since we got it. I get it out regularly with a glove on and it is lovely when out...worries me as they get quite large and I don't think a glove will help!

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  22:33:31  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
with your first problem it doesnt sound too good. i havent actually heard of anything like it before but may i suggest ringing a vet that deals with reps and seeing what they say ... on the other hand someone on here (like GP) may know exactly what is wrong

as for your second point corns are secretive in nature so its instinctive id to defend itself. if its fine once out i doubt it will attack you but if your wary about it you can always put a sock in the viv so the snake gets used to your scent and if he/she uses the sock as a hide then may also recognise your scent as safety
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2009 :  00:18:59  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Brookestar

I didnt know you could put your own smelly sock in the viv lol but how will that help if your sock has sweat on it then its not the same scent as your hand is it ?

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2009 :  20:27:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sounds like a vet job to me really...........has it been going to the toilet ok? it could be blocked up........

or what are your temps like? if it's not right the prey item will start to decompose before the snake digests it......... which could be the reason for the regurge and gassy tummy

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Remmy
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1188 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2009 :  21:29:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiper, a sock will still have your body scent on it which a snake will pick up on. It doesn`t have to be a sock it could be a worn t shirt or anything else you have worn.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000