new corn snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

24 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  18:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After some consideration I decided to get a corn snake which has been named rocky, we have had him for 2 days and he has been hiding all the time. When I go to pick him up he tries to get away. He seems very shy, but handles ok (no biting). I thought he would be out and about more though is this normal?

0.0.1 Rocky (Corn)

Paul Hume
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  18:33:30  Show Profile  Visit Paul Hume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am no expert as I have only had my corn for about a week and a half, but when I got her I was advised to leave her alone for the first week and although it was tough as I wanted to hold her it seemed to make a world of difference, she handled fine straight off after a week. I would say if your having trouble with it trying to get away leave it to settle in for a week and then try and handle it.

Our House:
2 x Carolina Corns
1 x Snow Corn
1 x Amel Corn
1 x Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

misstwinkle
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  18:34:30  Show Profile  Click to see misstwinkle's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
u should really let him settin in for a week before handlin him. they do spend alot of time in there hides. mine only ever seems to come out when its comin up to feeding time

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  18:34:41  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
he's settling in, so oif you leave him be for the first week or so he will start to come out more at his own pace. You'll also notice him out more in the late evenings too, this is natural behaviour.
If he's only young, then he will try to escape you at any opportunity because he is hard wired to think you are a big predator coming to eat him.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

24 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  18:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow fast reply, do you think it will become more active around the viv the more settled in it feels

0.0.1 Rocky (Corn)
Go to Top of Page

misstwinkle
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  18:42:11  Show Profile  Click to see misstwinkle's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i dunno about other peoples corns, but like i said mine only comes out in the evenings when its comin up to feedin, and sometime he'll stick his head out of his hide.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

24 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  18:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok guys I will be leaving him be till the end of the week, one more quetion though he is due a feed tomorrow, the guy in the pet shop said to put a pinkie on a piece of slate. Will the snake smell it and come out for it or do I have to show him its there.

0.0.1 Rocky (Corn)
Go to Top of Page

misstwinkle
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  18:53:15  Show Profile  Click to see misstwinkle's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
he'll smell it.

Go to Top of Page

Paul Hume
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  18:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Paul Hume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Again I would leave it till the end of the week. I got mine on a Thurs and the guy in the shop said feed on Tues, I left it till thurs anyway just so I didnt disturb her and she is absolutly fine, I seem to have a well balanced snake and I dont know if this is anything to do with the settling in peiod or not but I think it helped and awful lot.

Our House:
2 x Carolina Corns
1 x Snow Corn
1 x Amel Corn
1 x Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

151 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  18:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey and welcome to the wonderful world of corn snakes! :) its best to leave your new arrival for a week to settle into her/his new surroundings. with all my hatchlings, when i first got them they were really jumpy. But after the settling in period they were fine. Just be confident and dont be afraid to pick her up even if she seems a bit jumpy. she'll soon settle down once you have picked her up. Just hold her in small sessions at a time until she gets used to it. Good luck, and congrats on the new arrival! :)

0.1.0 Crimson Corn "Cherry Darling"
0.1.0 Anery Corn "Riff Raff"
0.1.0 Hypo Motley Corn "Magenta"
0.1.0 Crested Gecko "Beatrix Kiddo"
0.1.0 Crested Gecko "O-Ren Ishii"
0.1.0 Tortoiseshell and White Kitten "Gizmo!"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

24 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  18:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the help guys, I thought I would mention Rocky is about 1 year old, I will post a pic when I can handle

0.0.1 Rocky (Corn)
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  19:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
congrats on the new arrival
id leave feeding him until the end of the week after he has settled in just make sure you get a quick hold before feeding him as afterwards you will have to leave him for 2days to digest..
look forwards to seeing piccies when hes all settled in

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  21:39:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum maxine. I would suggest you read the care sheet on this site....it gives excellant advice....and I think there is also info for new corn owners (would 'those who know' please confirm this for me and put up links) . It is tough when you first get your corn and you have to leave it alone for a week, only putting your hand in viv to change water and straighten substrate. You will get to handle him and when you do you must keep it to very short periods to begin with, only about 5 mins, then you can slowly build it up. I only handle my adult for 30 mins, although it takes a lot of self-control to put him back, especially when he doesnt want to go! xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

24 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2009 :  21:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cant wait to handle Rocky still havent seen any sign of him, I dont think he has even had a drink, do corns need to drink every day?

0.0.1 Rocky (Corn)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2009 :  22:14:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is probably coming out at night to drink without you realising it. Snakes can go for a lot longer without food than they can without water. He will smell/taste it is there and drink when he needs to. xxx

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2009 :  19:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

He is probably coming out at night to drink without you realising it. Snakes can go for a lot longer without food than they can without water. He will smell/taste it is there and drink when he needs to. xxx

agree with Kellog, snakes are sneaky little blighters and will creep out when you are asleep or not there to go about their business!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000