New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  13:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I have had my first corn for about three weeks now and I belive he is about to shed, his eyes are clouding over and for the past week he has just hidden in his cave at the cool end of the viv, I have introduced a damp moss box to aid him should he need it, however I have not seen him , is this usual? should I still attempt a feed or just leave him alone?

Sorry for the long post, K

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  13:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi there,

i am by no means an expert but in my experience i just leave mine alone until they have shed their skin. i have 1 snake who won;t let me near her let alone touch her when she is grey!! Another 1 doesn't mind being touched but won't feed.

I think its because their skin can not become loose if they've fed so shedding becomes difficult.

so if i were you, i'd just leave alone until its finished shedding. depending what colour he is, his whole body will be grey and cloudy. I have 2 snows which i can only notice their eyes go cloudy, but i also have 2 orange ones and they both turn very grey!!

hope thats of some help???

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  13:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info thats great, he is orange with darker brown stripes.

How long does the whole process take as I said he has been hiding for about a week now, before he was very livley and ran almost like clockwork, out every night a 19.30 to explore! (more likley hunt i guess?)

Edited by - n/a on 09/09/2009 13:59:24
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  14:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have noticed that mine tend to turn almost back to normal just before they shed, about 24 hours say. then the day after they shed they;re hungry and really active, so i feed them then.

one of mine seems to take forever to shed, she is 15 years old, whereas the other takes about a week, she's just 3 years old!!

i think they're all different really, I'd suggest keeping a diary of when you notice it go grey, and when you notice its shed. do this a few times over the next few months and you'll pick up your own snakes personal pattern.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  21:58:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
usually their eyes go blue for a day or two then clear, they usually shed within about a week of their eyes clearing

it's best not to handle them during this period as their eyesight is poor and they may be unpredictable, but feeding is up to you if you offer a feed and up to the snake if it eats.......... basically some will and some won't so don't be alramed if a feed is refused. once your snake has shed it's fine to offer a feed

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  14:17:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chelsealedger

he is orange with darker brown stripes.

sorry its a bit off topic but post some piccies!!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  20:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always did wonder about feeding/not feeding during a shed - surely it is a bit like eating a 5 course meal when you are wearing your tightest pair of jeans!

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  21:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well said kellog.When my snakes dull i tend not to ofer food for that reason i heard that giving them a bulge can break the shed when it comes of. also some snakes wont eat at this time , some will. but as it doesnt take that long from dull to shed (well under a week)is it worth the risk of a bad shed?

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page