Heat Issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  18:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I all, only my second time posting but have read lots of really useful info, but i have a bit of a problem the 'hot' end of my faun is ranging between 27 and 30 degrees. Have just checked on the 'cool' end but even that is at the moment 28 degrees. I am to say the least a bit concerned, my heatmat is only covering about a 3rd of the faun and where I have put the therm probe is well away from the mat but still at 28 degrees. I live in a flat and it is either quite warm or quite cold in the front room.
Can anyone give me any hints at all?
Thanks in advance

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  18:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you got a thermostat? Your snake will fry without one.

When you say the thermometer probe is far away from the mat, how far? The further it is the hotter the actual temp of the heat mat.

If you dont have a thermostat, turn your heat mat off until you get one.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  19:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a thermostat and the heat probe for that is in the take above the heat mat the thermometer probe i was talking about is my digital thermometer
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  19:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do take it your thermostat is conected to your heat mat. Your thermo should be at about 28degrees your heat mat should swith off when it reaches that temp.Make sure your cool hide and water dish are at the cool end.Where is ur thermometer sitting is it in the cool or hot end? If all above are correct i would maybe turn ur thermostat down a degree or 2.Also is your thermostate inside the tank. As im sure i read somewhere b4 on here was to tape the probe to your heat mat outside the viv it seems to work as my partner has done this with our male snake.

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  21:46:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if it's an on/off stat like a Habistat matstat then the amount of variation in warm end temp you described in your original post is normal

my concern is the cool end getting to 28*C though, is it near a radiator or other heat source or in direct sunlight? is there enough ventilation to let cooler air in? and how and where are you measuring the cool end temp?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  22:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the stat is a matstat which i thought was OK. I have been measuring the cool end with a digital thermostat, it is not near a radiator (which have not been on anyway!) the sun does come in and it get quite warm in my living room but the faun does not get struck directly by the sun, and there is plenty of ventilation as it has one of those slated lids.
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  04:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the temp without the mat turned on?
Maybe the mat is heating at the wrong angle and the surrounding surfaces are heating up.

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  12:24:07  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You may have to put some more ventilation in the cool end, turn the mat off and see if the temperature in the cool end changes drastically. At the moment your snake won't be able to thermo-regulate itself properly.
Try a different thermometer in the cool end, I have known a digital one to give an incorrect reading before. But until you can establish what is causing the heat you do not want to over heat your snake.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura

Edited by - lucifer on 09/09/2009 12:24:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000