Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  19:18:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

But arent Wild Mice like riddled with Germs?

yeah probably but snakes eat mice in the wild and i think they have a pretty strong digestive system

1.1. corns charlie + charlotte
1.1. corns bubblegum + jaffacake ( gf's)
1.1. bcc Viktor + unknown
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  20:19:20  Show Profile
quote:

Look i dont want people moaning and whining at me, As Matty said a Snake is a Predator, it will know through instinct. Its not that i wanna see a Mouse die, i want to see with my Own eyes how a Snake goes through the Process of Killing a Rodent, im sure its a Fascinating experience. And id like to see how he behaves and reacts to it

look it up on you tube then.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  20:21:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stumpy

I have live feed mine, a local cat caught the mouse and dropped it, it went under a cabInet.
When I tried to retrieve it it tried to bite me so I let the snake hunt it.

that was b***** stupid- you dont know what internal and external parasites were on that mouse. Not fair to your snake at all.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  20:28:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mx1_champ

quote:

But arent Wild Mice like riddled with Germs?

yeah probably but snakes eat mice in the wild and i think they have a pretty strong digestive system

But those snakes are wild born and bred snakes with digestive systems hardened to deal with that, not captive bred snakes that have been fed 'safe' mice all their life.

I do understand the interest in wanting to see your own snake do a live kill - I would love to see Kellog hunt a live mouse, strike and coil, see the kill. But my interest is not my priority, Kellog's health is. And it may only take one live feed for your snake to get injured....do you really want to risk that? xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  21:35:43  Show Profile
Risk or no Risk, id like to see it

0.0.1 Amelanistic Corn 'Noodle'
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon 'Bowser'
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 'Remo'

''The Devil is a loser and he's my B*tch!''
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

201 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  21:43:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

quote:
Originally posted by Stumpy

I have live feed mine, a local cat caught the mouse and dropped it, it went under a cabInet.
When I tried to retrieve it it tried to bite me so I let the snake hunt it.

that was b***** stupid- you dont know what internal and external parasites were on that mouse. Not fair to your snake at all.

I totally agree with you SexyBear77

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look i dont want people moaning and whining at me, As Matty said a Snake is a Predator, it will know through instinct. Its not that i wanna see a Mouse die, i want to see with my Own eyes how a Snake goes through the Process of Killing a Rodent, im sure its a Fascinating experience. And id like to see how he behaves and reacts to it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

look it up on you tube then.

Agree'd also

The way you put it acroos just sounds like you want to see your snake kill a mouse nothing else.

I personally was interested in live feeds but the well being of my snake would come first without a doubt, i have watched videos on youtube and if you watch some of them you can see some snakes being bitten by the mouse, gerbil or rat.
Dont get me wrong the way snakes hunt and kill is interesting, look it up. The snake should NEVER be put in the position where it could be hurt and possibly scared though your personal satisfaction or interest.
Please dont be offended by my opinion just the way i see it. Oh one other thing as stated before it will cost you more to breed your own mice than to just buy frozen/thawed.

Regards Chris & Cornflake

1 x Cornsnake (Cornflake)
1 x Boxer Dog (Stumpi)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

201 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  22:07:06  Show Profile
Viewer discretion is advised this is why you dont live feed snakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqqwKnIaYuk

1 x Boxer Dog (Stumpi)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  22:53:23  Show Profile
i have seen a few similar vids on youtube . personally i wouldnt feed live food to mine for health reasons and for incase it decided it only wanted live food .
i to was curious about seing my snake hunt and kill its own meal but if something were to happen i cant afford the vet bill's and it isnt fair to put the snake in that situation . in the wild the animals have a lot of open room and a cornered rodent in a feeding box is bound to get very defensive when a big snake starts attacking it .

1.1. corns charlie + charlotte
1.1. corns bubblegum + jaffacake ( gf's)
1.1. bcc Viktor + unknown
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  23:24:15  Show Profile
Well yes... i do want to see my Snake kill a live Mouse, thats the point..

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

253 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  23:25:27  Show Profile
And fair enough that Video ok, but thats 1 video.. whats to say we all hahve to follow what we see and all stick with eachother?

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  23:46:56  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
Interesting opinions and debate going on here, it's very good due to different opinions of people.

I would however like to interject with two small FACTS:

It is NOT illegal to live feed if it's required by the snake.
It IS illegal to live feed for entertainment.

People would have to carefully decide what category they fall into when thinking about live feeding.

I have in the past wondered what my snakes would do when presented with a live mouse, but have not done anything about it, because it would be for my interest only. Therefore classed as entertainment.

When I was talking about live feeding today, we likened it to dog fighting:

When dogs fight, it's just a fight between dogs, just a scrap, end of.
When it's organised dog fights, then it's illegal, as it's for entertainment only.

I personally am not against live feeding, but I can only agree with it when it's necessary.

Question remains, Would I live feed??

If I couldn't help it, then no. But if the survival of my snake depended on it, then I would. But only under the supervision of someone more experienced with these things.

I got shown a photo today of a snake that had to be destroyed due to live feeding.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 06/09/2009 00:00:00
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

201 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  00:02:24  Show Profile
quote:

At the end of the day everyone here is looking out for the best interest's for the snakes safty. Noone here can stop you live feeding your snake were are all just advising thats its not the best way of doing things and that your snakey could end up getting hurt as a result of this. Im on this site to hopefully make a few friends and get advice on the best things for Cornflake. Im still new to snakes, Cornflake being my first but when you get 10, 15, 20 people advising you not to do something sureley that is an indication that maybe its not the greatest of things to be doing thats all.

1 x Boxer Dog (Stumpi)
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  00:06:27  Show Profile
SparrowHawk, you will be doing it for your own entertainment, which is against the law.

You will also be risking the snakes health, which goes against good reptile keeping standards.

I personaly like the way a snake catches and kills its prey, theres nothing quite like it. But I dont want to put my animals at risk by doing it for my own entertainment.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  00:22:26  Show Profile
In total agreement with Kehhlyr and Matty, who are far more experienced than me and know what they are talking about. xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  10:41:57  Show Profile
I agree with Kephyr, it is different to live feed out of total necessity. Just seems such a ridiculous idea to live feed if you don't need to. As for the costs... if you choose to live breed mice for the purpose of live feeding then you might have to take into consideration the price of raising those mice as well as the cost of the vet bill and god forbid the cost of having to replace an animal that gets seriously injured through an activity that wasn't necessary in the first place.

I don't know if any of you have any rats/mice but we have a pair of male fancy rats and on occasion they fight with each other. Needless to say after witnessing one of their scuffles and the ferocity in which they do attack, I can only imagine what they would do if they were in a life or death situation.

Not trying to be funny about it and yes I know everyone is entitled to their view but what is the point of stressing over every aspect of husbandry only to put the animal in a situation that is stressful and dangerous?

1 Corn Snake (EDDIE)
2 Rats (PINK & STINK)
1 Cat (BINX)
1 Budgie (MOLLY)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

531 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  10:57:55  Show Profile
If your snake is happy on pre kill then theres no reason to change it .....live food for non eaters only ....at the end of the day you dont want to cause undue distress and harm to you snake or vet bills.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  12:04:19  Show Profile
i agree with whats been said here fully i would never feed a captive breed snake who is totaly happy eating dead mice a live one because of a few reasons the main one being, possible injury to the snake as it have never seen a live mouse and deffinatly never fought one as they can be very agressive when thrown into a box containg a snake

and as stated before it is against the law to do so if its not required by the snake

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  20:21:10  Show Profile
quote:

well then thats just plain wrong then. you sound like a very self-absorbed kind of person- no regard for your snakes safety or the suffering of the mouse.

matty is completely right- it will be purely for your entertainment, and that is against the law. for good reasons.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  00:21:24  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address
quote:

well if you're going to completely ignore any advice given to you on the subject by some of the most experienced snake owners i know, then why don;t you just go ahead and do it rather than sound like an arrogant child being told what it wants is wrong. Obviously nothing is going to change your mind, and if your snake ends up dead, then I think we will all only have sympathy for the snake

Sheesh

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  08:41:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PunkAsF82

quote:

well if you're going to completely ignore any advice given to you on the subject by some of the most experienced snake owners i know, then why don;t you just go ahead and do it rather than sound like an arrogant child being told what it wants is wrong. Obviously nothing is going to change your mind, and if your snake ends up dead, then I think we will all only have sympathy for the snake

Sheesh

HEAR HEAR!!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: